I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time for a completely sober post.

Computers are making us dumb. I have a HP calculator that has thousands of equations built in to it. I suppose I could plot a trajectory to the moon and back just with my HP.

So why is a calculator that has all of the abilities that mine does make me dumber? Because we do not have to think anymore just input the variables and hit enter. Instead of taking a equation and paper and pen to task for a great afternoon of thinking we have turned to having everything solved for us.

I love math I really do. It saddens me to think that much of the critical thinking that used to be involved with solving issues has disappeared. I think back about the skunkworks during the time that the blackbird was built. They built that bad boy with a slide rule and had to not only know the equation but understand how it worked. Those boys understood math :mug:

Please do not get me wrong as I know that many fine folks still love equations and try to understand WHY they work. But those of us who do think that way are sadly becoming fewer and fewer as more people depend on the machine to spew out the answer.

Getting off my pile of equations now and resuming a normal posting mode :D

Nice rant!

I whipped out an inverse tangent yesterday to find the slope of something. I use math of some sort almost every day. My son nearly croaked when I used calculus a couple of weeks ago to solve a problem for him (had to find the peak of a exponential equation, so I took the derivative of the equation and set it to zero to find the slope=0 point). Unlike a lot of things I've "learned", math did stick with me.

BTW, I love my HP calculators too. I can't live without RPN and a stack. Man, I love this thread, it meanders all over the place.

Time for a completely sober post.

Computers are making us dumb. I have a HP calculator that has thousands of equations built in to it. I suppose I could plot a trajectory to the moon and back just with my HP.

So why is a calculator that has all of the abilities that mine does make me dumber? Because we do not have to think anymore just input the variables and hit enter. Instead of taking a equation and paper and pen to task for a great afternoon of thinking we have turned to having everything solved for us.

I love math I really do. It saddens me to think that much of the critical thinking that used to be involved with solving issues has disappeared. I think back about the skunkworks during the time that the blackbird was built. They built that bad boy with a slide rule and had to not only know the equation but understand how it worked. Those boys understood math :mug:

Please do not get me wrong as I know that many fine folks still love equations and try to understand WHY they work. But those of us who do think that way are sadly becoming fewer and fewer as more people depend on the machine to spew out the answer.

Getting off my pile of equations now and resuming a normal posting mode :D

Not just math, how about English. My kids groaned everytime they had problems spelling and I would say why do you think we have the dictionary? Look it up, learn the word and it's uses! Now, my 2 youngest (24 and 26) say, "See Dad, with Spellcheck we don't have to know, it does the spelling for us!" AAARRRRGH! Drives me nuts.
Maybe, I was an anomaly growing up but I loved to learn the meaning and uses of the words. I loved to see how a mathematical formula would come together.

Not just math, how about English. My kids groaned everytime they had problems spelling and I would say why do you think we have the dictionary? Look it up, learn the word and it's uses! Now, my 2 youngest (24 and 26) say, "See Dad, with Spellcheck we don't have to know, it does the spelling for us!" AAARRRRGH! Drives me nuts.
Maybe, I was an anomaly growing up but I loved to learn the meaning and uses of the words. I loved to see how a mathematical formula would come together.

I must agree with you there. I will admit I am lazy and usually deduced the meaning of a word from what was said around it when reading. I do like the automatic lookup ability of my Kindle. "What the heck does that mea.... oh, that explains it"

This is a chest someone made that has been hanging around for much longer than me. I never gave it much thought. I was cleaning up in the room where it sits today and looked a bit closer. The top is a solid pine board 22x43. The sides are of 1x pine at least 18" wide. I haven't tried to find a pine 1x22 lately but I would bet they are at least expensive if not completely unavailable.

img_20140114_183948_542-61845.jpg

This is a chest someone made that has been hanging around for much longer than me. I never gave it much thought. I was cleaning up in the room where it sits today and looked a bit closer. The top is a solid pine board 22x43. The sides are of 1x pine at least 18" wide. I haven't tried to find a pine 1x22 lately but I would bet they are at least expensive if not completely unavailable.

That's awesome!

A few years ago I ordered some white oak for some stair treads I was making, and they sent me 16 foot long pieces that were between 14-18 inches wide. It blew my mind! I had never seen pieces that big in all the years I've been working with wood. I still have a piece large enough to make a coffee table top. I really should get around to doing that...

BTW, I loves me some math but I have forgotten most of it since the last class around 20 years ago. I think I promised myself I would keep up on it too. I do have a chart of trig equations hanging at my desk. I use that. That's the key, use it or lose it...Quick PP what's the derivative of e^x2?

BTW, I loves me some math but I have forgotten most of it since the last class around 20 years ago. I think I promised myself I would keep up on it too. I do have a chart of trig equations hanging at my desk. I use that. That's the key, use it or lose it...Quick PP what's the derivative of e^x2?

No idea. I can do simple polynomials easily enough. I'm sure I could look on the inside of my calc book cover. Not sure what you wrote there, actually.

f (x) = e^(x²)

f ' (x) = 2x * e^(x²)

f " (x) = 2 * e^(x²) + 2x * 2x * e^(x²)

<=>

f " (x) = 2 * e^(x²) * (2x² + 1) :mug:

No idea. I can do simple polynomials easily enough. I'm sure I could look on the inside of my calc book cover. Not sure what you wrote there, actually.

Exactly what I was taught, know where to find the info when you need it. I still have my calc book too but unlike you, I do not know were to find it...

f (x) = e^(x²)

f ' (x) = 2x * e^(x²)

f " (x) = 2 * e^(x²) + 2x * 2x * e^(x²)

<=>

f " (x) = 2 * e^(x²) * (2x² + 1) :mug:

Shaddup you! Always so smart. I actually do not even know the answer myself so you could be correct. I better brush up on this stuff if I am still going to change the world. I am gonna dig up my e-mag text book.

That's awesome!

A few years ago I ordered some white oak for some stair treads I was making, and they sent me 16 foot long pieces that were between 14-18 inches wide. It blew my mind! I had never seen pieces that big in all the years I've been working with wood. I still have a piece large enough to make a coffee table top. I really should get around to doing that...

I just looked at the picture on a real screen. That is actually painted and the knots are bleeding through the paint.

You should make that top. I have been meaning to make a coffee table for years. I was planning on concrete and steel though and no wood. Seriously though, how big would the tree have to be to get a stable 14,16,18,22-in slab out of it. The lid is barely cupped and the sides are dead flat.

Cool chest. What's inside it?

I framed out a new 14" thick wall in a house once, and I wanted to hang a set of french doors in it. To build the jamb, I had to glue and clamp 1x8s. Worked great. But it was pine and the knots kept leaking through. I used Kilz. I tried sanding and using shellac over them. Nothing would stop those knots from bleeding through the white paint. I'm sure the current owners of the house are looking at those knots now.

This was on my news feed yesterday from Norwood Portable Sawmills

Don't they wish they could sell saws to cut trees like that? I still have remnants of white pine stumps on my land. They must have been huge when cut for the stump to last over 100 years.

Cool chest. What's inside it?

I framed out a new 14" thick wall in a house once, and I wanted to hang a set of french doors in it. To build the jamb, I had to glue and clamp 1x8s. Worked great. But it was pine and the knots kept leaking through. I used Kilz. I tried sanding and using shellac over them. Nothing would stop those knots from bleeding through the white paint. I'm sure the current owners of the house are looking at those knots now.

Thanks. I think it's cool. I haven't looked inside for years. I would think he's just dust by now.

I would have suggested shellac. I have read that it will seal knots. I guess that is not the case. Shellac is tricky though. Maybe you had an expired batch if you didn't mix it yourself. Well, whatever. It's not our problem anymore.

(sorry for the book)

Busy day around here! Like Passedpawn said, love the way this thread meanders. That is an excellent description, it reflects life. Life is always changing and always the same. This thread like the USA; flourishes and is held together by unique people from all walks of life who hold a common bond. I suppose on HBT that bond is brewing. I'm not so sure that is the only common ground here but it is a strong one.

I don't even know where to start.

Pappy, it was the baking soda that made my pretzels too salty. Straight-up. I think I might have ignored one part of the recipe in two ways. I left the dough soak too long in the salty wash and I think I might have quadrupled the baking soda measurement on the first batch.

I can't do my job without computers. We're all surrounded by them in our day-to-day life at work and home. Today half my work day I spent chasing my tail because of technology and my lack of understanding - No, it wasn't misunderstanding, it was my complacency. I was working on a perfectly good system that should have worked, in fact WAS working but it wasn't working for me. Once I pulled my head out of my butt and made a few correct changes on a computer keyboard - Wa-lah! Everything was copasetic once again.

I’m no math or splelling guy but I get what V-man and SubSailor are saying about how important it is to remember “The Why” about how stuff works the way it does.

I cut this down from a very long bunch of words to this: Basics. It all starts there. Once you learn the “Why” in how something works. The rest is gravy. Computers, I love them but if we let them make us forget how to think, we're toast.

Ischiavo, that is a great find. I'd probably strip the chest with some paint remover, barely touch up any surface defects, probably give it a few coats of sanding sealer and some light sanding and then finish it with some clear poly to let the wood’s natural beauty be seen.

Dan - I haven't had a salty issue with baking soda for pretzels.... And I use a very strong solution and put the pretzels in when almost boiling for 10 seconds.

Pappy, it was the baking soda that made my pretzels too salty. Straight-up.

Sorry Dan, I shouldn't have doubted you. I looked it up and it is a salt. It contains sodium and can have the exact effect you stated. Maybe that's one advantage to using lye (although that's a "salt" too). I learned something new today - thanks!

Cheers PP :)

Melana, those pretzels you posted look great! Maybe about the salt thing its just my tastebuds. I use very little when cooking and never salt food once it's on the plate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Home Brew mobile app

Dan, you also mentioned that you soaked the pretzels for a longer time than the recipe stated. Maybe that's why they were so salty.

Melana, all of that looks great, and I agree with Mark. I'm hungry now.

I haven't tried making pretzels before. In the past I couldn't eat them. I have better teeth now, so I might have to give it a try.

Every time I open this thread I'm seeing a new experiment that I have to take on. This forum is an over load of creativity!

The possum is dead!! The possum is dead!!
I blew off his big ole head!!

Well, only part of his head actually blew off, an ear, upper jaw and part of the skull on one side. I was like, hmm, looks smaller now that he's dead, but then I look about a foot over and saw the other piece, lol. This thing has been harassing my dog for a long time, and started stealing my breakfast, taking eggs from the nesting boxes.

My dog trapped him! One night I let my dog out about 4 in the morning to go potty. Then I hear a bunch of scuffling, growling and a hissing KEEEE sound. Looked out and my dog had it cornered between the fence and where the gate was pulled almost all the way open. So it was really cornered in that wedge. I told my dog, "Watch him, wait!" Mister, my dog, glanced at me, looked back at the possum with a steady grrrr. I went inside, reloaded my rifle, the whole time yelling out to my dog to watch him. Then I just walked out and right up to him, my dog at my feet and shot him at point blank range through the temple with a .22 caliber bullet. It was glorious. My dog looking at me and looking at the dead possum wagging his tail, looking at me like I was the hero. And I was telling him what a good boy he was, to me, he was the hero. Triumph!!! At long last!!!

I opened up a beer and lit up a smoke to celebrate. Then a little after 5 AM I called my friend Lamar to tell him the great news. He is my hunter/trapper friend who gives me advice and I give him most of the raccoons I get. He wanted the carcass so came by to get it that morning. He not only eats stuff like possum but loves it and appreciates the meat.

This triumph was a long time coming, I had even drawn a sketch of him and put it on my fridge with "Most Wanted" written across the top. I faced my arch enemy and came out triumphant!!!!! :rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin:

Soft pretzels are easy on the teeth...

I guess I always assumed they had a tough or chewy texture. Kind of like a bagel. Or at least some that I've bought at restaurants in the past did. I definitely need to re-visit the idea.

Bobbi, congrats on taking out your arch enemy!

The possum is dead!! The possum is dead!!
I blew off his big ole head!!

Well, only part of his head actually blew off, an ear, upper jaw and part of the skull on one side. I was like, hmm, looks smaller now that he's dead, but then I look about a foot over and saw the other piece, lol. This thing has been harassing my dog for a long time, and started stealing my breakfast, taking eggs from the nesting boxes.

My dog trapped him! One night I let my dog out about 4 in the morning to go potty. Then I hear a bunch of scuffling, growling and a hissing KEEEE sound. Looked out and my dog had it cornered between the fence and where the gate was pulled almost all the way open. So it was really cornered in that wedge. I told my dog, "Watch him, wait!" Mister, my dog, glanced at me, looked back at the possum with a steady grrrr. I went inside, reloaded my rifle, the whole time yelling out to my dog to watch him. Then I just walked out and right up to him, my dog at my feet and shot him at point blank range through the temple with a .22 caliber bullet. It was glorious. My dog looking at me and looking at the dead possum wagging his tail, looking at me like I was the hero. And I was telling him what a good boy he was, to me, he was the hero. Triumph!!! At long last!!!

I opened up a beer and lit up a smoke to celebrate. Then a little after 5 AM I called my friend Lamar to tell him the great news. He is my hunter/trapper friend who gives me advice and I give him most of the raccoons I get. He wanted the carcass so came by to get it that morning. He not only eats stuff like possum but loves it and appreciates the meat.

This triumph was a long time coming, I had even drawn a sketch of him and put it on my fridge with "Most Wanted" written across the top. I faced my arch enemy and came out triumphant!!!!! :rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin:

Grats!

My youngest is showering (just worked out) and about to play chess with me. He's been killing me lately. Ouch. I taught all my kids to play, and this is how they repay me.

Remember the fear of quicksand? Your kids don't. Apparently, the quicksand fear died in the 60's with Attack Of The Blob group. Check out this podcast for a cool walk down Quicksand Lane. Make sure to listen! http://www.radiolab.org/story/quicksand/

Quicksand? One of my many most favorite songs, Maria Maldaur. I absolutely love this song. I've read several desert-based books because of this dumb song.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you ever wonderd? Wondered at the world we live in? Fourteen ninety two Columbus sailed the ocean blue

It was only a few hundred years ago the pilgrims made a new life in this land. Only a short time ago on a biblical scale, or something like that.

How long we been around as a known country? 1929 or something.. okay probably before that. See what not teaching hisotry does to a child's memory?

America, for those of us who live here, this wonderful country we grew up in was not the norm for many people around the world and still isnt'. Our mom's and dad's parent's and their parent's gave that to us!

This, I truly hope, is not considered words for a debate thread!

My youngest is showering (just worked out) and about to play chess with me. He's been killing me lately. Ouch. I taught all my kids to play, and this is how they repay me.

Remember the fear of quicksand? Your kids don't. Apparently, the quicksand fear died in the 60's with Attack Of The Blob group. Check out this podcast for a cool walk down Quicksand Lane. Make sure to listen! http://www.radiolab.org/story/quicksand/

Quicksand? One of my many most favorite songs, Maria Maldaur. I absolutely love this song. I've read several desert-based books because of this dumb song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whYiOJ2iBE0

Thanks for the post, I was sure I'd get trapped in quick sand. As I listened to the podcast and immediately flashed back to Gilligan's Island:

Last edited by a moderator:
Gilligan's Island.

LRB, man... Nice

Do you know what I like about shows like GI? Comport memories aside. People! Long lost on some tropical island a band of nobody's come toghether. They are all different, come from across all plains of difference in their roots. But they all come together as a single familly investment. They learn to live together with all their differences and thrive.

I work to dam much now-a-days. I nearly live at work. I'm very happy for the job but I have no life. HBT has become my home away from home. Sorry for my never ending rambling, it's my escape. :eek:

When your kids out shine you.. well man, that's when you know you did a good job raising them.:pipe: Every dad's goal, every son's dream.

Back