Major homebrew dilemma; CO2 leak! Please help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danotts

Reaction score
I have a serious issue with my kegerator: I have the absolute best batch of homebrew I've ever made (an AG Altbier; my 4th AG batch) in a keg, and I just refilled my 5 lb CO2 bottle right before that keg, and now I'm already in the red zone on my high side regulator!! I've got a slow leak, and I have no idea where it is.... This is frustrating!

My setup is this: CO2 feeds into double regulator from the cylinder. PVC gas line goes into the kegerator from the outside. Inside the kegerator, the main CO2 line is spliced into a nylon tee to split the CO2 flow into two other gas lines: the active keg line and the artificially carbonating keg. I use ball lock fittings on my kegs. I also have started using lubrifilm on all keg o-rings.

What would you guys do to troubleshoot this VERY ANNOYING leak? Do I need to get new gas line and get new o-rings for my kegs? Do I need to check my poppets? Ball lock fittings? It seems like so many possibilities for a leak.. I just don't know where to begin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Isn't one way to find the leak getting a spray bottle with slightly soapy water and spraying the tubes and connections. Perhaps even the parts of your keg that open and the valves?

(I haven't started kegging yet, but perhaps this will help you find the leak?)

Your gonna have to begin with all the places possible for a leak, soapy water and a spray bottle, with it pressured up. Spray everything, if you have a leak you will find it with the soapy water, even star san will foam pretty good on a leak but soapy water works best, just check all the fittings, go from there, I wish you luck!

Back