horizontal mounting of water filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FenoMeno

Reaction score
Anyone know if it would be alright to mount my (HD) charcoal water filter horizontal on my brewstand instead of hanging it like it was designed?

What rate is acceptable to fill my HLT with a charcoal filter? I have read the slower the better---but how slow is slow? The manufacturer paperwork does not indicate

I wouldn't think the functionality of the unit would be affected by horizontal or vertical mounting. Whether the thread and seal for the cartridge is ok in the horizontal due to the weight of wetted cartridge I don't know. I'd probably support the cartridge to be safe

I wondered about that b/c only the top of the cartridge is pressed into the top fitting. I wasn't sure if it would stay attached if horizontal.

It is attached both to top and bottom. That's how it makes a seal (when you screw it in) so that the water has to go thru the filter to get out. There's a little lip at the bottom.

There's probably a dimple in the bottom that blocks the flow and provides mechanical attachment. I turn my filter upside down when I'm filtering beer.

A standard house filter can handle 5 gpm without any problem.

Latest posts

Back