$1500 water bill in Florida

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update...visit to the water department today, and with out dropping one curse word, I was quite surprised to find that I live in the only county to have an assistance program for peole like me who are in this situation.. every other county in the area don't care and won't help.

Far as they could explain, they will look at our yearly average and and plug it onto some formula that will kick out my price. They couldn't provide me with the formula, so I'm waiting a few days. They are even willing to put us on a payment plan to help ease the monthly budget shock.

All in all, a good visit.
Thank you God let's work the clean up hitter and put this saga to bed!

Thee results are in and the saga comes to an end. Talked to the water department, and the program they have available is taking my bill from 1557 to 534! They are letting me pay it out over a few months.

Thank God! With a little luck and a lot if prayer, I'd like to think I dodged a lethal blow...

Here the biggest part of my water bill is the sewer. It is nearly 4-5 times the rate of the water. Water is practically free...it falls from the sky in fact.

so, Florida ratepayers are covering the cost of you flooding your new lawn to death?

I didn't read that as being a reduction so much as a payment plan.

I could be wrong, but I was thinking he's getting a $500+ water bill for ~3 months, instead of a $1500+ bill this month.

Well, I've seen spray paint grass and it looks pretty good actually. We had the hottest summer on record last year and some folks resorted to the paint. :)

As far as the lady installing fake grass, I'll always check the HOA nazi policy before I shell out THAT kind of dough. It seems that her front yard would look the best of the entire neighborhood, but to be told to pull it up/out and put real grass....

I'd be po'd about the cost of the fake stuff AND having to sod again with 'real' grass.

Always read the HOA's rules when it comes to altering your home's exterior....

Did I miss the pic of your $1500 water job? My lawn looks ok after the last 2 year's drought, but I only buy about $40 worth of St. Augustine sod patches and throw em down where it's thin....

IMG_1025.jpg

When I lived in California, I had an miata with the same color. I bought it new but it had been lingering on the dealer lot for 2 years because nobody wanted it because of the color. I managed to buy it new for about 10000 less than the price of a new one. Deal of my life and I loved that car. I miss it so much.

Because of the color I never got insulted so much by stranger in traffic jams even almost got in 2 fights for no other reason than the color of my cars. People were thinking I was gay. I don't mind the close mindeness of those people but I do miss that car.

motobrewer said:
so, Florida ratepayers are covering the cost of you flooding your new lawn to death?

Yup! And I pay my taxes, so I help the next guy when he needs it as much as he helped me....if ya don't like move out of the county

GilaMinumBeer said:
I didn't read that as being a reduction so much as a payment plan.

I could be wrong, but I was thinking he's getting a $500+ water bill for ~3 months, instead of a $1500+ bill this month.

Sorta right.....$500 bill that I can pay over the length of 3 months ...

You should at least get discounted for the sewer on this month's water. That's probably what they are calculating.

I managed to rack up a $400 phone bill in Dallas after I moved to my new house. Running the sprinklers 8 minutes 3 times a week didn't sound like all that much, but with 12 zones, and 15gpm (I calculated), that's about 20,000 gallons a month. I should have thought to get my bill discounted for sewer. I wonder if I still can.

BetterSense said:
You should at least get discounted for the sewer on this month's water. That's probably what they are calculating.

I managed to rack up a $400 phone bill in Dallas after I moved to my new house. Running the sprinklers 8 minutes 3 times a week didn't sound like all that much, but with 12 zones, and 15gpm (I calculated), that's about 20,000 gallons a month. I should have thought to get my bill discounted for sewer. I wonder if I still can.

Back in rhode island the water department would put some sort of device that calculated sprinklers water differently

motobrewer said:
that's good news - I'm in need of $1k. I'll PM you with my address, money order is preferred.

Lol sure, you'll have to take a number, there are banks ahead of you that are complaining for much more than that :l

Insane, no...victim of bad information, yes. Total usage recorded from the meter was 156,000.

I'm a billionair, so, who cares :(

Wholly Shiat! that is more than I use in an entire YEAR with acreage, landscaping, a dog boarding facility etc....

Are you using a fire hydrant to water your lawn?

wolfstar said:
Wholly Shiat! that is more than I use in an entire YEAR with acreage, landscaping, a dog boarding facility etc....

Are you using a fire hydrant to water your lawn?

Lol not quite, that was just the front yard too! I got wackrd because I was using a ton during an emergency drought time, so they stuck me bad!

I'm glad I live in a rainforest... That's about 18 months worth of the water/sewer bill here. I don't even think residential housing has a limit, it's a flat rate.

If it won't grow naturally without sucking every bit of water possible - perhaps that is a sign of something? I've never put a drop of water on my lawn - the day I needed to, I'd be finding something else in lieu of a lawn.

Back