Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, all good scare tactics have an element of risk but this one is awful low...especially in (sort of) rural Texas.
Heck, in (sort of) rural Texas, I'd be more worried about him returning fire!

In all seriousness; I'm a certified youth firearms instructor, and spend a lot of time in discussions trying to educate people and help remove some of the stigma attached to firearms, and the ignorance about gun laws. I tend to respond poorly to ideas like "shoot at something close to them to scare them", as they are extremely counter to a lot of my personal efforts.

Cone of Shame

dug.jpg

Heck, in (sort of) rural Texas, I'd be more worried about him returning fire!

In all seriousness; I'm a certified youth firearms instructor, and spend a lot of time in discussions trying to educate people and help remove some of the stigma attached to firearms, and the ignorance about gun laws. I tend to respond poorly to ideas like "shoot at something close to them to scare them", as they are extremely counter to a lot of my personal efforts.

Shore nuff, gunfights at high noon are a popular pass time here in Texas. Sorta like an appetizer for real men!

My intention is to keep an eye on that corner for a repeat of the suspected events. If that happens I will then confront the trespasser. His actions will determine the level of escalation.

Shore nuff, gunfights at high noon are a popular pass time here in Texas. Sorta like an appetizer for real men!

We all know that is only a little true. Except for that fact that I am a firm believer that certain southern midwest states proven the old saying "an armed society is a polite society". In your case it appears that "Good fences make good neighbors" ain't working.

I would bet that shooting certain birds with pellets rifles is exactly as common a practice in Texas as it was in Oklahoma. You are in a dry enough area you might not keep a 410 around for snakes.

Back on topic, we lost a dog to a crazy vigilantly nutjob that spiked hamburger with crushed Christmas ornaments and threw it over fences of dog owners. He had a manifesto and everything which they found because he tried to do the same thing at wild cat rescue outside Tulsa but instead ended up dinner.

RIP Grady the dumbest Newfie in history. Sorry I was not there in the end.

We all know that is only a little true. Except for that fact that I am a firm believer that certain southern midwest states proven the old saying "an armed society is a polite society". In your case it appears that "Good fences make good neighbors" ain't working.

I would bet that shooting certain birds with pellets rifles is exactly as common a practice in Texas as it was in Oklahoma. You are in a dry enough area you might not keep a 410 around for snakes.

Back on topic, we lost a dog to a crazy vigilantly nutjob that spiked hamburger with crushed Christmas ornaments and threw it over fences of dog owners. He had a manifesto and everything which they found because he tried to do the same thing at wild cat rescue outside Tulsa but instead ended up dinner.

RIP Grady the dumbest Newfie in history. Sorry I was not there in the end.

Yep, I was just joking around there.

I cut my teeth on a Winchester pump action .22 rifle back in the 50's. And I still own several firearms but living in the city limits now I don't get to shoot them as much as I used to. I've never used a 410 on snakes, but I used to take care of them with the .22 or a .357 frequently. Living in the city limits I now catch them and haul them out to a friends ranch. Except for copperheads which are beheaded on site, usually with a garden hoe, those little bastards are just plain mean. The rat snakes get to stay as they have a habit of eliminating more bothersome pests than themselves.

I only have about an acre and a quarter but it is frequented by anywhere from 15 to 30 whitetail deer daily. We also see raccoon, opossum, foxes and skunks frequently. A 130 pound mountain lion was trapped within a couple of miles from my house a few years ago. Lots of song birds and when the back yard goes quiet you know the falcon which frequents the neighborhood is about to swoop in. It is a retirement paradise for me, an old country boy who moved to the hill country from East Texas.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I would be very likely to end up in jail or the graveyard over something like that. Another reason I would like to end the problem here on a more positive note if possible.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I would be very likely to end up in jail or the graveyard over something like that. Another reason I would like to end the problem here on a more positive note if possible.

I was in Iraq at the time and the man ended his days as was appropriate to the crime. Grady was a doll that never knew a stranger. He was the best dog with kids, adults, etc. Dumb as a post but friendly to a fault.

My two biggest regrets in life were that my (now) ex-wife had to deal with his rapid, violent decline alone and that I dd not get to say goodbye to my big boy.

Yesterday around 5:30 pm I herd a commotion in the corner of my back yard. My dog always likes to bark and run up and down the 100+ feet of 6 foot privacy fence when people walk down the sidewalk over there. There is a good 8 feet between the the edge of the side walk and my fence along with a row of small trees the entire run. But this time something just did not sound right.

I walked out of my shop and observed some guy walking a small hairy dog down the sidewalk but did not see my dog Bruno for a few minutes. He finally came out of the corner from behind some bushes gasping for air and blowing through his nose.

The corner he was in is where the front facing picket fence meets the side facing privacy fence. I am on a corner lot and the picket fence is over 100 feet from the road it faces. I suspect but did not witness that this guy walking his dog came onto my property in order to spray my dog with pepper spray or something similar through the white picket fence. In order to do so he would have to leave the sidewalk and come a good 10 feet into my yard.

Bruno was fine within minutes of me witnessing his breathing problems so whatever it may have been was somewhat harmless. However trespassing on my property in an attempt to prevent my dog from his primary "job" of protecting his pack is just not right.

So now I have a new location to drink my evening beer as I sit in wait to see if what I suspect happened happens again.

Trespassers will be prosecuted (or worse).

You know, there are several pepper spray containers that can spay up to 25 or 30 feet, some can be activated remotely...
Just sayin'. ;)
Regards, GF.

You know, there are several pepper spray containers that can spay up to 25 or 30 feet, some can be activated remotely...
Just sayin'. ;)
Regards, GF.

That's true. But there is enough of an elevation change between the sidewalk and my yard that there is a good chance he would not only be spraying through low hanging pecan branches but thanks to gravity and wind, quite likely to have some of the spry blow right back in his face. I really hope that is what happened, thanks for that.:mug:

One of the other babies in the nanny share lives a few big blocks away. I had to drop him off one morning recently, and I see a nice garage with a tall iron gate and a sign that says "Beware of Dog". I then see, I'm assuming, said dog. The biggest, friendliest, smiliest, dopiest labradoodle you ever wanted to see yipped out a hello that made SessionableGoodness giggle.

Beware of Dog indeed!

View attachment 316383
Thought you guys may enjoy Chesty taking on the role of a cat. I was playing the PS4 and as he trampled on the TV remote he killed the TV and my lead in the last lap of the race I was racing. Can't be mad with a face like that looking at you.

Hmmm

Going out on a limb here and guessing someone in your home has something to do with the Corps

So for those who have raised a puppy, i have a question. How do i get her to stop using my hands as a toy?! When she wants to play, Olivia will ignore every toy I give her and keeps trying to (softly) nibble my hand

So for those who have raised a puppy, i have a question. How do i get her to stop using my hands as a toy?! When she wants to play, Olivia will ignore every toy I give her and keeps trying to (softly) nibble my hand

Lots of redirecting. You got to really sell that the toy is more fun than your hands also getting up and leaving sometimes helped. To be honest I think she just finally just out grew it. I never understood why GSD puppies were called land sharks before.

Going through that now with a puppy. I have an old squeek from a chewed up dog toy that I keep in my pocket. I squeek it to distract the dog when the biting gets out of hand.

Spare dog to distract him? A pack mostly trains itself.

high pitched "yelp" every time they bite your hand..it works.

This works well, I've used it with several pups. Supposedly that's how puppies in a litter learn when there playing too rough. Other than that, get a chew toy. Better for them to learn what is ok to naw on. Especially when they start teething.

When she puts her mouth on your hand, drive your hand (gently but firmly) into the joint of her jaw, accompanied by a "NO".

2j1vn8g.jpg

Siggi got to meet the family this weekend for Thanksgiving. She played with her new buddy Odin the entire day. They were both born in August but Odin is already built like a tank. When we got her a few weeks ago she was 7 pounds, skin and bone. We took her to the vet for the first time on Saturday and she is 14 pounds and perfectly healthy. She is full of energy and I look forward to playing with her every night.

When she puts her mouth on your hand, drive your hand (gently but firmly) into the joint of her jaw, accompanied by a "NO".

Whatever you do, don't tape her mouth shut, like that lady did in Cary, NC.

:(

This worked well for my Pit even though he was over a year old. I still have to do it occasionally but he usually pulls back as soon as he realizes what he's started to do (he's about 20 months old now and still can get very jazzed up.)

Eye contact while you're doing it is also key.

This worked well for my Pit even though he was over a year old. I still have to do it occasionally but he usually pulls back as soon as he realizes what he's started to do (he's about 20 months old now and still can get very jazzed up.)

Eye contact while you're doing it is also key.

A man who is not able to naturally project calming vibes to his pack should not adopt a pit bull. They've got the biggest heart ever, and when they get excited they really get excited. Takes one to know one.

A man who is not able to naturally project calming vibes to his pack should not adopt a pit bull. They've got the biggest heart ever, and when they get excited they really get excited. Takes one to know one.

There are times he needs to get it out of his system- I cant just ask him to continuously suppress his energy- and sometimes that will happen in close quarters if we can't get outside.

I was merely commenting on teaching him the difference between my hand, a tennis ball and a deer antler (2 of 3 are things he can put in his mouth but also must surrender when told to.)

Back