Emergency Help Needed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerklein2

Reaction score
I am right in the middle of starting up my brew and I just found out that my grain bag is tiny, probably meant to be a hop sock. It is too late to go to the LHBS and I have to brew today (I'm leaving tomorrow on a brewery tour of Colorado :D). What are some makeshift alternatives or is there anything I can do?

Ok, I think its nothing short of a miracle that I just found some cheesecloth in a toolbox tucked away. Can I fashion this into a bag and use it?

Sure. Just make it double, so that the grain stays inside.

If you have some extra panty hose or knee highs around, you could use those. Or, a clean pillowcase that's pretty thin. I can't think of anything else at the moment.

If you're doing a partial mash, just dump it in a pot and then pour it through a strainer into your kettle.

Well, I only have enough to single layer it. I'm gonna go for it and cross my fingers for success.

Well, I was able to stretch the tiny bag around my cheesecloth bag just enough to maybe call it double layer. I think it will work just fine. I'm 20 minutes through the 45 minute steeping and its doing well. Thanks guys.

Back