Keezer maintenance in between pours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared311

Reaction score
I tried searching through the forums and I am sure the answer is somewhere just out of reach. Anyways, I am about to throw in my first keg into my keezer and am unsure of the basic maintenance necessary in between pours. What do you do about the remaining beer in the line after a pour? Since its kept cold, is it necessary to even remove the beer? Will the beer go flat if left in the line? Or am I wrong and no beer will remain in the line?

Beer will stay in the lines. The lines hold pressure. Beer will stay carbonated.

If you don't have the forward seal faucets you may have some between pour maintenance on the faucet to keep them from sticking. Otherwise, there isn't anything else to do unless you just drink extremely slowly.

Beween kegs is where the maintenance is. Many clean their lines after every keg and this is good practice. I am lazy. If kegs move quickly I may not clean the lines but bewtween the second or third keg or if there is visible sign of beerstone.

At that point, I also tear down the faucets and soak them in the same cleaner as the beer lines.

Depending on the length of your lines, it may be more effective to get a dish tub and soak both the faucets and lines. I have found this to be much more effective at removing visible beerstone buildup.

Of course, the more often you clean the less likely you will see buildup.

If in fact you are a slow drinker (say 1 or 2 months to kick a keg, or longer) then you'll definitely want to look into Forward Seal Perlicks. They will save you a ton of frustration.

I'm new to kegging, but I think I can give you a quick answer. Others should be along shortly to help!

The beer stays under pressure as it remains in the line. It won't go flat, but it should remain cold. If you are using a picnic tap, this shouldn't be a problem but if you every use any sort of tower or tap "box", you'll want to find a way to keep the line cold all the way to the tap.

I hope this is correct and I hope it helps!

If in fact you are a slow drinker (say 1 or 2 months to kick a keg, or longer) then you'll definitely want to look into Forward Seal Perlicks. They will save you a ton of frustration.

Yup, I currently have two Perlick forward seal faucets.

I normally have a corny with starsan solution in it around, so I typically flush the line quick. Saves me the trouble of taking apart my perlicks every couple kegs and keeps my lines nice and clean.

Back