Any idea what beer I made?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gtrman13

Reaction score
So I decided one day a few weeks ago to just shoot from the hip and brew something fun and different. I wanted to take the opportunity with a free primary to brew something completely original (to me at least) and test out some new techniques. Basically I wanted to try my first SMaSH recipe and my first double decoction mash. Here's the recipe I used.

10# Munich 10L - Steps at 132, 145, and 160 degrees
1/4 oz summit hops added at 60, 30, 15, and 5 minutes
US-05 yeast

I pulled a sample off the tap tonight and it is quite interesting. Although not carbed enough, it was still pretty yummy. Reminds me of something close to a pale ale, but slightly more bitter and with a german malt backbone.

I'm assuming theres no category this actually fits into, but can anyone try to pinpoint it? I'm pretty stoked at how it came out and it was only brewed three weeks ago! I can't imagine how it'll taste once its been on the gas for a little bit.

sounds like an american amber ale. or maybe an american munich ale, if such a thing existed.

Sounds exactly like a SMaSH Munich/Summit/US-05 ale. Call it what it tastes like; if it tastes like a Graham cracker with marmalade on top, call it a North American Domesticated Grahamalade Fermented Barley Beverage with Lupulintastic(tm).

Sounds exactly like a SMaSH Munich/Summit/US-05 ale. Call it what it tastes like; if it tastes like a Graham cracker with marmalade on top, call it a North American Domesticated Grahamalade Fermented Barley Beverage with Lupulintastic(tm).

Dang! I just came up with this exact same name five minutes after you trademarked it!

Ha I love the responses! I'm actually quite glad I came up with something that doesn't fit into any category. This is one of the most fun parts of brewing!

Latest posts

Back