First Triple Decoction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bb239605

Reaction score
Well I attempted my first triple decoction this past weekend and overall it was a fairly good success. I started at 1pm and finished around 8pm. Long day of brewing.

I brewed 10 gallons of Dortmunder.
13 pounds Two Row
3 pounds Munich
3 pounds Carapils
2.5 pounds DME
(The extract was used so I could fit all the grain into my mash tun)

2.5ounces spalt 60min
.5ounces 30min

Anyway I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to make my decoctions more efficient.

Here is the procedure I used.

1. Acid Rest at 105F: I brought 12 fl. ounces of water to a boil for every pound of grain. I had 19 pounds of grain. This raised the temperature to about 130F, so I quickly added more cold water bringing the temperature down to about 118F.

2. First decoction: Removed thick 1/3 of the mash brought to a boil, boiled for 10minutes. ( I missed the rest at 155F and at 167F, wasnt paying attention).

3. Protein Rest: Added my decoction back to the mash bringing the temperature to 135F for my next rest. Again I overshot the rest temperature I was aiming for (this time it was 122F what I was shooting for).

4. Second decoction: Removed thick 1/3 again, brought to a boil (missing my rests again) and boiled for 5 minutes.

5. Saccrachation Rest (sp?) 152F: Added my decoction back to mash overshot my rest temp by 3F bringing the rest to 155F. Let sit for an hour.

6. Final Decoction: Removed 50% of the thin mash brought to a boil, boiled for 10minutes and added to the mash. Raising the temperature to 170F for the final rest.

7. Forget to get my sparge water to temp ahead of time, so the mash sat at 170F for about 20minutes. Sparged for 1.5hours and hit an efficiceny I never have before (~70% where as before I was hitting around 60%, its amazing what a slow, steady sparge can do for efficency).

8. Continued on like all other wort boils, IC chilled, pitched yeast at 75F.

So, my question for you all is, will these overshot decoction temperatures have any noticeable ill effects on the beer? Will these overshot temperatures pretty much undo any good that the decoction does in teh first place? And finally those of you that do do decoction, is it worth it?

what was your OG and am I understanding this correctly you skipped the sacc rest before the boil for the 2 decoctions but you still had around 80% efficiency.

My OG was about 16 Brix or 1.066. I took this reading while it was still on the hot side.

Yea the first two decoctions were before the sacc rest.

(BTW ment 70% eff., fixed that already in above post)

Back