Honey Cream Ale recomendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twbalding

Reaction score
I want to brew a cream ale for my wife, since she supports my habit, and was thinking of adding some of Savannah's award winning honey to it. Can anyone give me some advice as to when I add it? I don't want the flavor to be overwhelming just slight notes.

This wont help you much, but I know that it can be tricky to get the honey flavor to come through, as the yeast will ferment it right out of the beer if you don't do it right. If you search all over these forums though I know that there is a lot of talk about using honey.

HONEY MALT!!

Real honey is just two things, about 99% simple sugar and about 1% residuals from whatever nector the bees used to make the honey (florals, fruits, etc.). The 99% simple sugars in the honey are going to completely ferment out, adding alcohol content to your beer and drying it out. The nector residuals will add flavor to your beer, but it is often difficult to predict how much, since each batch of honey is essentially unique. That doesn't mean honey can't be good in beer, it is just pretty unpredictable and has those side effects that are undesireable in most beer styles.

HONEY MALT, on the other hand, is VERY easy to work with and 100% predictable, and will add a honey flavor to your beer without all of those unwanted side effects.

5% of the grainbill honey malt for a subtle honey flavor, up to 10% max honey malt to the grainbill for more intense honey flavor.

For a beer based on a cream ale style, I'd go with the honey malt.

Latest posts

Back