Brewing with honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@bloombrews Yeah, if you back sweeten it could get really sweet fast. Would have to be very judicial with the honey. Of course OP's beer could be super brut, like 1.00 or lower and then use a little honey to back sweeten it. I think that would work, but still need to be careful. :mug:
What, or Who, "OP's" beer ?
My "biggest problem", is getting the sulfur from the campdon tablets out of the finished beer. After about 4 times, with several purges (burping), through a carbonation stone in the side of my Ss 10 gallon brite tank, and venting out the top, the beer still has some sulfur taste in it. I am actually liking the little bit of sulfur taste, to balance the sweat honey - not kidding! A little bit of sulfur in a Lager beer, can be a plus to some pallets, although this honey beer was fermented with Kölsch yeast, 50% Red-X malt, 50% flaked Wheat. I love the Red-X so much (especially 100% with Saflager 34/70 yeast), I had to brew a Red-Wheat-Honey. The color is not red at 50%, but some sort of gold-copper color. 100% it is brite red!

1. Sanitization: It's important to maintain proper sanitation practices to avoid any potential contamination. If you decide to add honey during the fermentation stage, ensure that your equipment, including the fermenter, is properly sanitized to minimize the risk of introducing unwanted organisms

Sanititation is important for any beer. But why would it be especially important for the fermenter to have been well sanitized if honey will be added (vs., say, the same beer without honey)?

Back