Keezer build question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajt012

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has done this, or is even feasible. But I was thinking of just removing the lid of a chest freezer completely, and replacing it with wood and staining it to make it look nice and all. Ofcourse i'd have to insulate the inside and what not.

any thoughts?

I imagine it could be done, but it seems like it could be much more complicated than just framing out the freezer, since the door of the freezer has been specially designed and insulated for that unit.

If you haven't seen this project yet, take a look and see if you don't change your mind.

I'm about to make a wooden top for my freezer. I plan to use 3/4" laminated "butcher Block" stuff sanded and finished with satin urethane. I'll just use construction adhesive to glue it to the top. The collar and taps were installed more than a year ago. The freezer is in my kitchen and I use the top as a kitchen work surface a lot of times. A wood top would be nice. I think I'd have to tighten up the spring tension in the hinge though to offset the additional weight of the wood.

I made a top for mine. I insulated it with 2 layers of 3/4 inch blue Styrofoam. I just used the original hinges. It has worked quite well.

keezer092.jpg

keezer090.jpg

Check the link in my sig for more pictures.

Back