My favorite country songs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heard this on Sirius a day or two ago, think it deserves to be on the list-

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=05PBA_F23hg"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=05PBA_F23hg[/ame]

Thank you CountryGringo another great song! I've heard of the Bellamy Brothers when I was a kid but never knew they were so great!

When I started this thread I had my favorite country songs and they still are. But there is so much great country music out there I didn't even know about.

And I want to thank all of you for sharing so much!

(in my head Johnny Cash's tune Keep this Train a Rolling, Rolling Down the Tracks; is playing)
Keep the tunes a rolling,
Rollin on and on.
Ain't heard this much country,
In I don't know how long

Well I started this thread going,
in my Hanford home.
This music list keeps growing
Keep it being known

Dead Flowers _ Rolling Stones

Stones put put some great country/blues tunes in the late sixties-early seventies.

When I was a young Sailor home-ported out of Atsugi Japan, there was an old Japanese bar that I frequented often one winter. The "Mama-san" was ancient and the place was very comforting. When I walked in the door I was met by the warmth and odor of a kerosene heater.

I would walk up to the bar and order a beer and a simple soup of noodles called ramen. The place was never crowded. There was a jukebox in the corner filled full of old songs. I wish I had that jukebox now. The songs were outdated by many years but it was a box full of treasures. One of the songs I fell in love with was Waltzing Matilda.

Three or four years later in 1988, I married my first wife, a beautiful Australian girl. The marriage was destined for failure but we held out for twelve years and had three wonderful children together.

I’m sure we could have lived a life together forever if I hadn’t been so young with unrealistic expectations of how easy marriage is, and she wasn’t so far away from home. Here is to the happy beginning.

Our marriage was in Western Australia in a town close to Perth called Cottesloe. We were married in an old majestic Anglican chapel. Every man had on a tuxedo and the women wore beautiful dresses.

Before the wedding my soon to be father in law Graham, told me I needed to give a speech.. What?? He wanted to help me write it. I said no worries I will. By the time I had to give the speech I hadn't written a thing. When my turn came to talk I thanked the new in-laws, made heartfelt claims of love to my new bride and rambled a bit; it was over in about 30 seconds. I was happy albeit humiliated by my lack of words.

After the other speeches were given we had dinner. It was delicious. My father in law who either owned a winery at the time or had close connections to good wine provided the celebratory wine. The priest who preformed the ceremony liked it quite a lot and mentioned it should be served for communion.

The night progressed and soon came time for the newlywed dance. What did they play? Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda come dancing with me...

I was going to show the same version t but can't find it. The same song I heard at the old Japanese bar and at the reception are romantic versions of the original. The melody I'm familiar with is what I’m sending. To bad it is so short.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I should post this in Drunken Ramblings.

When I was a lot younger and home-ported out of Atsugi Japan, there was an old Japanese bar that I frequented often one winter. The "mamasan" was ancient and the place was very comforting. When I walked in the door the warmth and odor of a kerosene heater met you.

I would walk up to the bar and order a bull of ramen, a simple soup of noodles, and a beer. The place was never crowded. There was a jukebox filled full of old songs. I wish I had that jukebox now. The songs were outdated by many years but it was a box full of treasures. One of the songs I fell in love with was Waltzing Matilda.

Three or four years later in 1988, I married my first wife, a beautiful Australian girl - 12 year marriage. :( The marriage was in Western Australia in a town called Cottesloe, close to Perth. We were married in an old majestic Anglican chapel. Every man had on a tuxedo and the women wore beautiful dresses.

Before the wedding my soon to be father in law told me I needed to give a speech.. What?? He wanted to help me write it, I said no worries I will. By the time I had to give the speech hadn't written a thing. So I thanked the new in-laws, made claim of love to my new bride and rambled a bit; it was over in about 30 seconds. When it was over I was happy albeit humiliated by my lack of words.

After the other speeches were given we had dinner. It was delicious. My father in law who owned a winery at the time provided great wine.

The night progressed. Came time for the newlywed dance. What did they play? Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda come dancing with me...

I was going to post the same version tonight but can't find it. The same song as I'd heard it at the old bar and at my reception are a romantic version of the original. The melody I'm familiar with is what gets posted. To bad it is so short.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQBlnwrffAg&feature=related

Ah, so there was a connection in the story...:D

I'm still home with "the plague" (pneumonia, of all things) so I'm whiny, bored, and out of sorts. One thing I just came across on Spotify is what I think is probably my favorite Johnny Cash song but sung this time by his daughter at his memorial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izMlJRftg_o

Yoop I don't know if I missed this or didn't comment on it, the thread is long and my computer processor has been underpitched and is having a hard time chewin through these posts. har har :)

If I didn't say so before. Thanks for this song

a bit darker, but your post made me think of this good one- not sung by eric bogle, but a good song...

Dan- Thanks for the Tom Waits post- I'm a big fan (my signature might have given it away!) Loved the back story on your memories of the song too-

My pleasure CG. I had never heard of him before you posted. Very unique voice and to be honest I had to just close my eyes and listen. Wonderful heart-full music singer! Cheers to you CG!

Dan

My pleasure CG. I had never heard of him before you posted. Very unique voice and to be honest I had to just close my eyes and listen. Wonderful heart-full music singer! Cheers to you CG!

Dan

Never heard of Tom Waits before? Geeesh :confused:

:D:D:D:D

Nope never did Jim. :eek:

Well, I have always known of him, heard him on the radio, seen him on TV, playing and interviews, can recognize him easily visually and audibly......but never really been a big fan. Don't own one record of his. But aside from what I mentioned I never really gave him any in depth attention to see if I could grow to like him.

Well, I have always known of him, heard him on the radio, seen him on TV, playing and interviews, can recognize him easily visually and audibly......but never really been a big fan. Don't own one record of his. But aside from what I mentioned I never really gave him any in depth attention to see if I could grow to like him.

I think I know what you mean. I like the music I heard. But he sort of freaks me out. Good music, just have to close my eyes to appreciate it. If that makes any sense?

This is not exactly a "country" song but he does sing "pouring rain" as "pourin' rain" and talking" as "talkin'" so maybe it fits. But I love this song, the melody, the words, the singing. One of those "Ok this sucks, I'm outa here, later!" songs.

"Everybody's Talkin' at Me" Harry Nilson

.....man this shift sucks. Even on the west coast people eventually retire for the night...and me I am still here waiting. :(

Dan.....Daaaaannnnnnnyyyyy! <<<<<<<my Kramer impression from Seinfeld when Kenny Rogers chicken place closed....Keeeeennnnnyyyyy!! Keeeeennnyyyy!

A Tom Waits cover of the Red Sovine classic Big Joe and Phantom 309

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTsE9Pb6apM&feature=related[/ame]

And here is why I'm a Tom fan- after hearing lyrics like these (The Piano Has Been Drinking/Warm Beer & Cold Women) I thought- I need to hear more!

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwhdmll85v4&feature=related[/ame]

.....man this shift sucks. Even on the west coast people eventually retire for the night...and me I am still here waiting. :(

Dan.....Daaaaannnnnnnyyyyy! <<<<<<<my Kramer impression from Seinfeld when Kenny Rogers chicken place closed....Keeeeennnnnyyyyy!! Keeeeennnyyyy!

Hey Jim!

Third shift sucks! I've worked it often but will never forget a period years ago. I started work at 1130pm and got off at 8am or so the next morning, Sunday night through Thursday. I worked on a quiet (at night) navy airbase.

Sunday's especially sucked. I'd be up all day with the family and then have to leave for work. I'd drive to work, the lights in the houses were all off, everybody was blissfully sleeping except me and the guys I worked with.

There were around 30 of us. I will say, we were a very productive shift. I'd go to work, make a pot of "grit" coffee which was a 10 cup pot with the coffee filter full to the top. Then I'd get a passdown from the off-going shift sup, go to the maintenance meeting where a plan would be laid out to meet the next day's flight schedule.

One of the data analyst determined our small little shift accomplished more at night than the other two shifts did combined. You can get a whole lot more work completed when the "bosses" aren't around!

I hear you Jim, working the weird hours is a tough thing to do. Hang in there, it won't last forever!

Here's a few songs for you, they might not be country, and don't really talk about working at night.. but hey.. Bob Seger can't go wrong. The other never heard of before, was just looking up working at night and it came up.

But they're for you my friend. Daytime is only a few hours away.

Ok.. If you haven't thrown your computer down the hall after that last song. Here's another one that might motivate you too. ;)

Okay Jim, here's one more if you're still hanging with this post.

It's at least country. Goodnight buddy.

Hey Jim!

Third shift sucks! I've worked it often but will never forget a period years ago. I started work at 1130pm and got off at 8am or so the next morning, Sunday night through Thursday. I worked on a quiet (at night) navy airbase.

Sunday's especially sucked. I'd be up all day with the family and then have to leave for work. I'd drive to work, the lights in the houses were all off, everybody was blissfully sleeping except me and the guys I worked with.

There were around 30 of us. I will say, we were a very productive shift. I'd go to work, make a pot of "grit" coffee which was a 10 cup pot with the coffee filter full to the top. Then I'd get a passdown from the off-going shift sup, go to the maintenance meeting where a plan would be laid out to meet the next day's flight schedule.

One of the data analyst determined our small little shift accomplished more at night than the other two shifts did combined. You can get a whole lot more work completed when the "bosses" aren't around!

I hear you Jim, working the weird hours is a tough thing to do. Hang in there, it won't last forever!

Here's a few songs for you, they might not be country, and don't really talk about working at night.. but hey.. Bob Seger can't go wrong. The other never heard of before, was just looking up working at night and it came up.

But they're for you my friend. Daytime is only a few hours away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnpg9pzt7lE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCV-YMD6oXA

Ok.. If you haven't thrown your computer down the hall after that last song. Here's another one that might motivate you too. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmZdvVnMXCc

Okay Jim, here's one more if you're still hanging with this post.

It's at least country. Goodnight buddy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMKv-whSanY

Actually been busy here last couple nights but for me I used to take a forced nap Sunday evening but now I just stay up all day go to work then stay up until noon like the rest of the week...bottom line I am up for 24-27 hrs straight every Sunday-Monday :(

Friday nighs suck too except I don't have to work. In order to get some daytime things done on Sat and see the wife some I get up about 8-9 Friday night and try to get back in bed by 2-3am so I can get up before noon.

Actually been busy here last couple nights but for me I used to take a forced nap Sunday evening but now I just stay up all day go to work then stay up until noon like the rest of the week...bottom line I am up for 24-27 hrs straight every Sunday-Monday :(

Friday nighs suck too except I don't have to work. In order to get some daytime things done on Sat and see the wife some I get up about 8-9 Friday night and try to get back in bed by 2-3am so I can get up before noon.

Jimmy oh Jimmy.. you brought up something near and dear..

Rant on.

Man, I totally understand! I used to do the same thing. About a third to half my 26 year career in the military was spent working from 11pm - 8am or into the afternoon if needed. Deployments were different, everybody worked at least a 12 hour day, 7 days a week. Away from family, nothing else to do, so not biatching about that

But in a normal life trying to raise a family. It takes a lot out of a person. Your sleep schedule is totally screwed up, apparently Arcadian rhythms, family time, and a normal life are for the wusses that work the first two shifts but for third shift do not apply. Big bonus - The people who don't work third shift could care less!

What bugged me a little bit was the dayshift would come in all happy and talking about what they did the night before and they couldn't figure out why we were all tired, a bit grouchy and just wanted to go home.

I had one "boss" tell me one Monday morning (after his nice weekend with is family and good nights sleep), "You know when we come in at 7am in the morning why the hell are you guys so tired and unhappy?"

I wanted to tell him, well you ignorant DF why don't you work this shift once in your life and find out how draining it is.. and BTW we clean up after the other two shifts. Between all the meetings, personal appointments, reasons to do nothing you guys hand over a crapload of work; we come in and clean house at night. If not for us midshift guys this place would fall on it's face and airplanes would not fly. Argggg! End rant..

Not to belabor this... Haha, well maybe a little

Poor sound quality.. Like th song. Love the name of the band "3rd Shift Band"

After scrolling through 24 pages of non stop good tunes, I'm pretty dissapointed the King hasn't been posted. That king I'm talking about is King George!

Or a little Alan Jackson with some FOMOCO!

After scrolling through 24 pages of non stop good tunes, I'm pretty dissapointed the King hasn't been posted. That king I'm talking about is King George!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ1U4SUkyko
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-9FdWmZqRQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KLVwRrCR3g

Or a little Alan Jackson with some FOMOCO!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T3MgIRUwj0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQe3DKDQRRs&ob=av2n
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnX2BoZE9w4&ob=av2n

Well StainlessBrewing, you certainly fixed that. Thank you! Just finished listening to the "King" and Alan Jackson songs you posted. Again thank you. If you feel like posting more please do! :mug:

Could you imagine Ashplub? Hank Sr and Jr singing a song together? That would be amazing. Thank you so much for posting this song. Again, it's one I've never heard, well never heard the two of them sing "at the same time". Isn't technology wonderful.

Double Cheers to you Ashplub! :mug::mug:

I don't know why but I always liked this Dwight Yoakam song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaGk5TzA5PI

Pappy..still listening? Thank you my friend. I' about to edit the first page with the numbers of songs sent, probably a third or little more, from me and the rest from great people who just post some songs.

Thanks Pappy.. You are a great man.. now get posting some more country songs my friend.

Seriously Pappy, thanks! Someday I'm going to open up a bit. Need some advice form you. Cheers my friend. :mug::mug:

Back