Keezer build question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerJR

Reaction score
I've got an old Sears chest freezer that I'm converting. The model is 198617670, and a parts diagram is available here. Am I correct in assuming that there are no freon lines in the walls? I want to mount my temp controller on the front wall, but don't want to risk rupturing anything.

I'm looking forward to getting this thing finished. It's a 21 cubic foot model, and I'm pretty sure I can get at least 10 corny kegs inside. Sweet.

I'd be surprised if there are no lines in the walls. Isn't that how 99% of chest freezers work -- cold walls?

To mount the temp controller, I was going to use a couple sheet metal screws.

You could use velcro or adhesive instead.

I have a large chest freezer and one thing I would recommend is cleaning and then water proofing the seams on the inside (if any) with silicone or the like. The humidity from running as a fridge causes rust. Easy to prevent--hard to treat after the fact.

Looking at the parts diagram, looks like all the cooling is done in a wall separating the hump from the rest of the freezer.

how about a 2x4 collar and mount it in the wood.. easy peezy.... I was against it, until I wanted to have my co2 tank outside my keezer..... I went with a 2x6 collar and it turned out bad ass, check the link in my sig for pics...

-=Jason=-

I'll likely go with a 2x6 collar. Just not this weekend. I'll probably wait to mount the temp controller until the collar gets installed. Testing the freezer with the controller as we speak!

Back