First Batch Oxidation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ochuxgoon

Reaction score
Ok i brewed my first batch last friday night, airlock activity all but stopped 3 and a half days later. This evening i sanitized my hydrometer and dropped it in to get a FG.
It is spot on to the recipe!

My questions,
1. When i put the hydrometer in initially it got stuck in the the trub and wouldn't come up, i had to bump the ale pale to dislodge it which caused minor splashing for a few seconds inside the pale. I had the lid closed tight over it when i bumped it so there wasn't direct exposure to the open air. What might my chances of oxidation occuring.

2. Since the FG is correct should i auto siphon into a corny at this point let it set in my kegerator for a few days and then force card say wed.?

that minor splashing will not cause problems.
on my first batch i thought you were supposed to splash going to secondary so i syphoned from a height and splashed as much as possible. the beer was still ok a first batch won't sit around long enough for oxidation to be noticable.
i don't keg but i think it would be good to let it sit a week off the trub(in a secondary) to clear and condition before kegging and carbing.
hopefully a kegger will chime in .
good luck and welcome:mug:

Let it sit at least another week if not 2. The beer will be clearer when you keg it. Plus you will have less sediment in the keg.
That amount of splashing won't hurt your beer. :mug:

do you happen to have a second bucket, or carboy? the beer would benefit from sitting in a secondary vessel for a week or two, then go ahead and keg it. it'll clear the beer, give it some time for the yeast to mellow any off flavors...then keg it, and force carb.

it will be a better beer :)
remember to follow all sanitizing techniques.

Back