Co2 position

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LongEared

Reaction score
I've noticed in peoples keezer pics thas some people house their Co2 in the keezer and others don't. Does it make a differance where it is?

It's just a matter of preference. The temperature of the stored CO2 bottle doesn't make an appreciative difference at this pressure.

The main reason people store the bottle inside is for simplicity. Drilling holes in refrigerators/freezers can be tricky with the coolant lines, insulation, etc to worry about.

The main reason people store the bottle outside is for extra space (more kegs, etc) in the cooled space.

I'm actually seriously thinking about drilling a hole in the side of the fridge I picked up earlier this week. With the way the shelves are, right now (and when I put more kegs in there) it's going to be tough getting even a 5# tank to fit vertically. Far easier if I run the line through the side. I'm just concerned about going through something important/vital and F'ing up the fridge. I would think that it's just insulation, since the cooling is via cold air pumped into it...

For now, I might just raise the shelf I have in there as far up as I can, and get the tank to fit. I hope that I can still get some of the 500ml bottles on it at that point.

I'm also trying to decide if I want to put taps on the side of it. I think I'll need to build something to get them a bit higher if I do that though. Mostly because I would rather not have to bend in order to pour a pint.

I am already liking having the brew at a warmer temp. It's been at an average of 40F since this morning (was a bit cooler overnight, adjusted it this morning). Before it was in my regular fridge, so it was cooler/colder.

Is it not advisable to have the CO2 tank not in a vertical orientation? Could I lay it on it's side, on the hump? That would eliminate the need to put a hole into the fridge. I am thinking about getting some 2.5# tanks too. I think those will fit much easier inside the fridge. Or I'll just get a 10-20# tank and have it outside. I'll use my 5# either as backup, or to carbonate at my buddies place, in his basement...

I have a side by side fridge. Tank in a door shelf. Four kegs on tap. Taps on the door. Tons of shelf and drawer space for bottles etc.

I killed my last fridge drilling the side and won't go there again.

For some fridges, like my Sanyo, you can run the gas line into the fridge via the drain plug hole (or whatever it is called) without having to drill.

Golddiggie said:
I'm actually seriously thinking about drilling a hole in the side of the fridge I picked up earlier this week. With the way the shelves are, right now (and when I put more kegs in there) it's going to be tough getting even a 5# tank to fit vertically. Far easier if I run the line through the side. I'm just concerned about going through something important/vital and F'ing up the fridge. I would think that it's just insulation, since the cooling is via cold air pumped into it...

For now, I might just raise the shelf I have in there as far up as I can, and get the tank to fit. I hope that I can still get some of the 500ml bottles on it at that point.

I'm also trying to decide if I want to put taps on the side of it. I think I'll need to build something to get them a bit higher if I do that though. Mostly because I would rather not have to bend in order to pour a pint.

I am already liking having the brew at a warmer temp. It's been at an average of 40F since this morning (was a bit cooler overnight, adjusted it this morning). Before it was in my regular fridge, so it was cooler/colder.

Is it not advisable to have the CO2 tank not in a vertical orientation? Could I lay it on it's side, on the hump? That would eliminate the need to put a hole into the fridge. I am thinking about getting some 2.5# tanks too. I think those will fit much easier inside the fridge. Or I'll just get a 10-20# tank and have it outside. I'll use my 5# either as backup, or to carbonate at my buddies place, in his basement...

I'm pretty sure you should keep co2 tanks vertical while dispensing co2.

I'm not sure about CO2, but oxygen is stored and used horizontally in many portable medical applications. I don't really see what the problem would be, it's not liquid.

I'm not sure about CO2, but oxygen is stored and used horizontally in many portable medical applications. I don't really see what the problem would be, it's not liquid.

Oxygen is not in the liquid state at the pressure inside a medical gas cylinder. CO2, however, is. Tipping a CO2 tank on its side is a bad idea unless you want to mess up your regulator and potentially cause a dangerous situation.

Where did you drill the hole?? I was thinking that if I did it closer towards the door, there's less chance of running into anything that will kill it.

I have always been told to keep gas cylinders vertical. Same for O2, CO2, LPG, etc... I'm getting an order together that includes a 2.5# CO2 tank as well as one of the 20oz paintball tanks, plus other hardware to connect everything up.

I actually did some checking tonight... Looks like I could fit a 7 cu. ft. chest freezer in the living room, provided I shift a couple of things around. That should allow me to have enough kegs on tap to keep ME happy, and still have some either in the other fridge, along with bottles. I will have to measure the inside of the freezer to ensure the kegs I plan to use will work properly. I suspect they will. Plus, I can put the CO2 tank on the hump there without issue. I'll use the 2.5# and/or 20oz tank for kegs in the fridge, and then the 5# (might get a second/spare) in the freezer (when I get it)... I hope to be able to get at least the original two 3 gallon kegs, plus one 2.5 gallon keg in the fridge, with a CO2 tank. I should get at least 4 in the freezer. Of course, I'll also need to get a temperature controller for the freezer.

I need to get the keg I have in the fridge onto gas soon. I topped it off with CO2 when I filled it, so it's safe. It's been chilling in the fridge for a couple of days too. I was waiting to put it on gas until I had the fridge temps dialed in.

If anyone knows if it's safe to drill the side of a 9.6 cu. ft. Whirlpool fridge (top freezer) please post/PM me... Until I know for certain it will be safe to drill, I'm going to hold off. Hence my modified plan to also get a freezer to convert. I'm thinking that, initially, I'll just use picnic taps. Once I move, and I can set up faucets on it, I plan to. Although I'm not sure how long I'll be able to hold myself back there. I do plan on waiting until I have the freezer, and test fit the kegs to see how many I'll be able to get, before ordering manifolds and such.

Does it ever stop?? :rockin:

pauljmccain said:

Actually, CO2 is mostly liquid inside the tanks. Thats why the pressure stays consistent until it is almost empty. Most of the co2 is liquid at high pressures and it evaporates as it drains to keep the pressure up. Laying the tank down will most likely pull liquid into your regulator and destroy it.

Latest posts

Back