yeast nutrient/energiser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlTheGud1sRtaken

Reaction score
i've been reading up on it a bit wondering if it's something that i should be using. i brew a lot of partial mash beers and even more applewine/apfelwine and lately i've been considering some high-grav batches of each with champagne yeast.

is yeast nutrient something i should use of every batch? should i be using it on the stronger ones? can i add it after the batch has started?

i've been having a hard time finding conclusive info on these questions, everyone seems to be arguing both sides.

Yeah, you're probably going to get some differing opinions here too...

But it does make sense to me to use yeast nutrient in batches where there might be a deficiency of those nutrients. I would think that Apfelwein would be a good candidate, but I've made several batches w/o it and they turned out fine, so I would be interested in some education here too.

I use nutrients in cider and mead, buy I don't bother in beer.

I use Wyeast yeast nutrient in every brew, goes in at the same time as the Irish Moss (also in every brew).

I use yeast energizer only very rarely, like when a fermentation looks like it's going to stall (or if it already did stall, but then I usually add dry yeast at that point).

Back