batched bock - not at lager temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickster51

Reaction score
So, this is my second batch of beer, but the first I've made based on a recipe rather than out of a kit. I brewed a bock with an extra specialty grain or two.

I'd planned on building an enclosure with a mini-fridge to keep the primary in the necessary lager temps (used a bohemian lager yeast from midwest supplies, used a wyeast propagator).These plans fell through because the mini-fridge bit the dust. So my bock has been fermenting at about 72 degrees for three days now. Fermentation has kept the air lock bobbing consistently the whole time.

Should I quickly build something to keep the fermenter at lager temps, or let it go at 70-72 degrees and see what happens? Will it taste alright?

basically is my beer going to taste funky/not at all what I wanted, or will things work out alright?

One thing you can do to bring down the temp somewhat is make a swamp cooler- put it in a bucket, big tupperware container, add some water, put a t-shirt over the fermenter, and blow a fan on it. It won't get it to lagering temps, though.

i'm in a similiar situation--- will the taste be off? I'm fermenting a Shiner clone at room temp at the moment...

The flavor profile is pretty much already there so you can cool it down as much as possible, but I doubt it's going to help that much. Never know, you might get lucky and have a "decent" beer. Just let it ferment out(do try to cool it down) and bottle/keg it when it's ready.

Hate to break it to you, but it will likely taste off. Could have hot alcohol flavors for expample. But ride it out and see what happens. I would def. recommend making a swamp cooler to at least lower the temp down into the low 60's.

Latest posts

Back