Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moving things back towards beer-related discussion, Bud Light is the top selling beer in the US, but I think most of us will agree, that's hardly a testament to its quality. :p

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I beg to differ. Its quality and consistency are top notch. Its flavor is a different story.

agreed. when you consider how many barrels have been produced at how many breweries for how many years and every bottle and can is the same

even I can taste a difference between batches at my favorite local brewery and that's with a palate wrecked by years of Navy chow

I hadn't started homebrewing last summer when I went on the tour, so my memory might be a bit fuzzy because some of the terms were just jargon to me at the time, but I'm pretty sure they said exactly that on the SN tour.

Of course, if you're nitpicky, you could say it's "can-conditioned", but calling the cans "bottle-conditioned" is just an appropriation of a recognized term to simplify things so they can say their beer is all bottle-conditioned.

If I made a high-gravity, unhopped wort, put it in mason jars, and pressure-cooked them for however long, wouldn't you say I "canned" my starter wort, even though I put it in jars instead of cans?

You could argue that "canning" is a term for preserving foods in small containers by way of subjecting the sealed packaging to heat and/or pressure, regardless of the actual container. SN could argue that "bottle-conditioning" is a term for carbonating packaged beer by way of a controlled secondary fermentation in the package, regardless of the package.

I'm with you on all of that. In fact, I found out that canned SN was "bottle conditioned" on their website. I had some SNs on their side in the fridge, (no-no) and when I poured one there was trub in the glass. So, I did a search, and found out that it was "bottle conditioned". I think that fits neatly in this thread. Funny things: Bottle conditioned in cans. Sort of makes you say "huh".

Not beer, but brewing.

Short night one night, stopped for coffee, was looking obviously tired. A store associate says "looks like you need some dark roast. That stuff will wake you right up." I was just tired enough to not have the energy to explain that caffeine cooks out in the roasting process. Once again, the color is not the same as strength. A theme I have noticed in this thread.

Well actually... It also depends on the amount of grounds used, the size of the grind, extraction temperature...

I had a bet on with myself as to how long it would be for a well actually on that post, then you went and "well actually-ed" yourself. Well done!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

About two minutes ago swmbo comes in picks up my glass takes a drink and says that "after eating an orange most of the flavor is gone, kinda tastes like bud light now"

Is that a compliment or insult ???

About two minutes ago swmbo comes in picks up my glass takes a drink and says that "after eating an orange most of the flavor is gone, kinda tastes like bud light now"

Is that a compliment or insult ???

That depends on what she looks like. (Kidding, of course!)
But I don't think it can be a compliment. Still, you're ahead of me. The worst thing my wife said about my beer was "tastes like vegetable soup"!

My girlfriend to this day still calls my bock broccoli beer

Nothing quite like propagating some malted hops in the morning...

Them: Let me know when you have some strong stuff, I'd like to try it.
Me: Sure, I have some 11% in the closet that should be ready in about a month.
Them: Holy crap! That'll kill someone!
Me: I thought you said strong?
Them: Yeah, like 6%

The classic movie Tommy Boy has a line where David Spade says Chris Farley's character has a brain clogged up with "malted hops and bong resin".

I watched that a few months ago, the first time in a few years since I've been brewing, and it just pissed me off the spreading of stupidity.

Them: Let me know when you have some strong stuff, I'd like to try it.
Me: Sure, I have some 11% in the closet that should be ready in about a month.
Them: Holy crap! That'll kill someone!
Me: I thought you said strong?
Them: Yeah, like 6%

I can buy 6% at walmart. I hope the word p***y was used. 6? Yep that's strong stuff. That's my baseline for all my beers.

The classic movie Tommy Boy has a line where David Spade says Chris Farley's character has a brain clogged up with "malted hops and bong resin".

Hmm... I may have a movie choice for tonight after I get more programming in.:D

I love that movie. Are you sure there wasn't a comma in there?

clogged with "malt, hops, and bong resin"

Don't ruin it for me :fro:

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396308056.471950.jpg
Local pairings such as IPA indeed

Had my mom taste my "super session" ipa (3.9%). She told me I better be careful and not drink to many cause they'll sneak up on me. I had 3 in the fridge and I didn't even venture to tell her about the 18 pack I killed last week when we pulled the motor out of my atc 110 rebuilt and put the motor back in. Lol

Working at the LHBS today, a guy told me that a dunkelweizen was 2/3 pilsner and 1/3 sprite. Woops.

I heard a guy at the beer store telling someone he likes drier hops rather than sweet ones because they make the beer more complex like how red wine is drier and more complex than white wine.

I heard a guy at the beer store telling someone he likes drier hops rather than sweet ones because they make the beer more complex like how red wine is drier and more complex than white wine.

Like how ben Stein was more complex before 'clear eyes. '

Where's that eyeroll emoticon??
Ahhh....there it is...

:rolleyes:
Cheers!

Haha yea I actually intended it too cause I fancy some noon time beers. And now that I started a job on over nights getting hammered at 8 am when I'm having my dinner at home would be a little weird. So no unintentional day drunks. Lol 🍻

These are more like "Sad things I saw about beer."

First, a local place called Burgers & Brew has a great beer selection on tap and bottled.

2014-04-01 11.57.21.jpg

I saw a Paulaner tap handle and ordered one. Instead of the Premium lager, the Paulaner most commonly found on tap in my experience, I was served a Paulaner hefeweizen. While not what I was expecting, it is nonetheless a great hefe... except when it's served at -20*F in a frosted glass, with a lemon. In hindsight, of course, I should have asked which Paulaner it was, and should have remembered to ask for a warm glass, and no fruit if I had known it was going to be a hefe. As I sat there with my hands wrapped around the frigid glass trying to warm it, I eventually asked the bartender for a warm glass. He gave me the usual weird look as I poured my beer into the warm glass and explained that European beers are traditionally served around 50*F with no garnish, but that I understood that most Americans, including most of his customers, like it ice cold in a frosty glass.

continued...

continued...

As I sat there sipping my slowly defrosting hefe, I noticed a couple other things. First, a handwritten sign advertizing that Pliny the Elder would soon be on tap, spelled it "Plinty". Hard to see in this pic, sorry.

2014-04-01 12.19.08.jpg

continued...

continued...

Then I saw another handwritten sign that advertized a saison with 10.5% abv. Now I admit, I have never heard of this particular beer, but I seem to recall that one of the characteristics of a saison is that it is around 4-5% abv. Belgian farmers wouldn't get much work out of their farm workers feeding them a 10.5% beer.

2014-04-01 12.18.36.jpg

So funny? Maybe not. Typical eye-rollers and face-palms, yes.

EDIT: OK, I just did my 30 seconds of research (after posting, of course), and indeed Matt's Burning Rosids Imperial Saison is 10.5. Wow. Lucky farmworkers.

continued...

As I sat there sipping my slowly defrosting hefe, I noticed a couple other things. First, a handwritten sign advertizing that Pliny the Elder would soon be on tap, spelled it "Plinty". Hard to see in this pic, sorry.

View attachment 190134

continued...
Ah, Plinty. Pliny's cousin with the bum leg.

It's one thing for your buddy who drinks BMC to serve you a crafty beer in a frosted mug out of kindness. It's another for a bar to do so. They should know better.

Am I uncultured if I like the aesthetics and feel of frosted glasses?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Home Brew mobile app

OK, I just did my 30 seconds of research (after posting, of course), and indeed Matt's Burning Rosids Imperial Saison is 10.5. Wow. Lucky farmworkers.

Saison has been completely bastardized by American brewers. It was always a loose style specification anyway. Don't get me wrong, I usually dig them, but the yeast is usually the only thing in common anymore.

Back