Kegged beer going flat after a few months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradneal

Reaction score
Greetings group!!
I kegged a Belgian Carmelite Triple-Grain Tripel and Honey Brown clone back in mid-November. It has been under about 12 pounds of C02 at about 36 degrees F. When poured, it produces a nice head, but I have noticed over the last 4 weeks or so that both beers are beginning to taste flat, and lack the the robust carbonation that it had shortly after kegging. The C02 tank is holding pressure and is not leaking.

I have been kegging for a couple of years and have never had this problem. Now, these have sat in the keg longer than most of my beers have, but I wanted to make that Carmelite last and see if it improved with age.

Any ideas what the problem may be?

Thanks,
Brad

1. a leak? which you say you don't have.
2. the beer has changed, flavors faded/melded and your perception has changed which maybe is showcasing a lower carb that you didn't notice before.

just pure guessing here.

Just a shot in the dark... it isn't a cylinder you just refilled, is it? Because they might have unwittingly filled it with helium...

Just a shot in the dark... it isn't a cylinder you just refilled, is it? Because they might have unwittingly filled it with helium...

Wouldn't that be obvious as he would talk in a high pitch and the keg would float off the ground?

;)

I have to say high alcohol beers like a tripple, do take a bit more over time to carb. My barley wine was almost up to 20 psi at 35 degrees at the end of the 5 gallon keg.

The only thing I can think of is as the liquid lowers it takes more pressure to keep up to carb up to specs.

Now, I use a chart to keep my beers at a consistent level along with many regulators.

I have to say high alcohol beers like a tripple, do take a bit more over time to carb. My barley wine was almost up to 20 psi at 35 degrees at the end of the 5 gallon keg.

The only thing I can think of is as the liquid lowers it takes more pressure to keep up to carb up to specs.

Now, I use a chart to keep my beers at a consistent level along with many regulators.

Hmmm... interesting...

Anyone else care to comment on this?

Back