Fridge temp control.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends. Those things work by shutting off the power to your fridge if it gets too cool, if you're needing to warm your fridge up for an Ale you'll need to think of something else.

Digital: "Features a wide setpoint temperature range (-30° F to 220° F) and differential adjustment (1° F to 3° F)."

Analogue: "An analog dial lets you set the setpoint temperature between 30 and 80°F, with 1 degree increments."

Magic 8 Ball sez, "Signs point to yes. "

It depends. Those things work by shutting off the power to your fridge if it gets too cool, if you're needing to warm your fridge up for an Ale you'll need to think of something else.

Ummmm, like plugging in a heater instead of the fridge.:p

Just a thought.

The controller doesn't care what you plug into it. When it hits the programmed set point the contacts close and the circuit energizes. You could plug a blender into it for all it cares.

OP: Look for a Ranco Dual stage on Ebay for a bargain. With it, you can have BOTH your fridge/freezer and a heat source controlled and never have to worry about you temperature band.

If you want, you could take it a step further and get a thermowell for the digital probe and control will be based on actual wort temps.

Digital: "Features a wide setpoint temperature range (-30° F to 220° F) and differential adjustment (1° F to 3° F)."

Analogue: "An analog dial lets you set the setpoint temperature between 30 and 80°F, with 1 degree increments."

Magic 8 Ball sez, "Signs point to yes. "

I was mostly asking if anybody by chance had experience with them. I know what the description says, but im not sure if it would work in a fridge.

Haha, I love Sienfeld. I was mostly asking if anybody by chance had experience with them. I know what the description says, but im not sure if it would work in a fridge.

I use a a Dual Stage Ranco connected to a chest freezer and a terrarium heater. My fermenter freezer is right next to my non-insulated steel panel, leaks at the gaskets like crazy, garage door. Water freezes on my garage floor, if it's there, in winter but my beer ferments happily within the temprature range of MY choosing without fail.

I am currently fermenting my first batch of ale in my new fermentation chamber (an old side-by-side fridge) using a single stage Ranco in my garage. I have a Brewer's Edge space heater from Williams Brewing on the back wall of the fridge that's on all the time. The fridge is plugged into the Ranco, set to 66 degrees with a 2 degree differential. So if the temp hits 68, the fridge kicks on until the temp is 66. I have the temp probe taped to the side of my conical fermenter with some insulation over it to protect it from the ambient air. The air temp of the fridge has varied between 61 and 66. So far so good!

Doug

couldn't you use a thermostat of some kind for the heater ? Seems like an energy drain (but it prob isn't enough to fret about)

I have the analog johnson controller, and it works fine. I have it plugged into a fridge in the garage and use it during the spring/summer when temps are warm here in so cal. I have checked the temps a couple of times, and it is right on the money. Cheap, effective, simple....I like it.
You can also plug it into a heating source (light bulb, heater, etc) for fermenting in cold climates. Hope this helps.:mug:

If your fridge is going to be somewhere where the temp is higher than the temp you want in the fridge, then that temp controller will work just fine. That's what it's made for. If you do a little searching around you'll find a bajillion threads about people doing just that.

Back