Chili: Discuss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chili: Beans or No Beans

• Beans

• No Beans

• What?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I usually just let mine simmer until its reduced a bit and the flavors are concentrated. But I like a bit of liquid in mine and not necessarily really thick, like thicker than a soup but thinner than a stew. Kind of a brown gravy consistency is what I usually go for.

THIS...no thickeners just 8 hours in the crock pot.

My sister makes what I consider "quick" chili. Basically toss everything into the pot and an hour later serve it. blaaa :drunk:

No beans! Chili isn't meant to have beans or other "stuff". For example, when you order a bowl of chili in my town, it has pasta in it. Usually, elbow macaroni. That is just plain wrong.

I like my chili HOT. Very very very spicy hot. That's chili!
You know, if somebody wants to serve chili on pasta that's up to them. IMO, if it can't stand the long cooking time it shouldn't be in the chili pot. If you cooked the pasta as long as I cook my chili it would turn to goo.
International Chili Society says no beans and I agree.

2.5 pounds ground beef
1.5 pound breakfast sausage
2 stalks celery finely chopped (I pulse mine in the food processor)
3 cups worth of onion diced up in the food processor
red pepper flakes to taste
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/4 cup chili powder, plus more later on if you think you'll need it
two 28 ounce cans diced tomatoes (I like Western Family brand fire roasted tomatoes)
16 ounce can tomato sauce
1/2 cup TEQUILA! plus a couple shots for the cook
1/2 cup thick and pulpy orange juice
cayenne and paprika to taste
canned chipotles (diced) with adobo sauce to taste

Just brown the meat with a little oil and add everything else and simmer until its done. If you need more liquid use equal parts OJ and tequila. Its a good base recipe that is great to tweak and customize.
I believe you have this proportion reversed. :)

...Those are my 5 minute additions...
You know you're a homebrewer when don't have to think about what this means in relation to making chili.

Also: Chili with elbow noodles is wrong. (Beanless) Chili with spaghetti noodles is pretty good.
Chili on rice is heavenly.
Uh, meat sauce on spaghetti noodles is just spaghetti...

Oooh. I'm going to have to try that. Though I don't know where I'm going to get the game.

3 way: man+woman+chili ??
;)
This is exactly what I thought. :fro:

No one has mentioned White chili?
1lb Great Northern beans
1 - med onion
3 - cloves of garlic
2 - 4oz cans of green chilies
2 - tsp ground cumin
1 - tbsp. oragano
1 1/2 - tsp cayenne
salt
2lb boneless chicken breast/ chunked
1/2 can chicken broth
1 cup water

brown chicken breast
Toss everything into crock pot on low/med before leaving for work...
Interesting. That's pretty similar to mine. Only I use a lot more green chili's, and pork.

How do you guys thicken your chili? I think chili has to be the right consistency and I think masa is the best way to achieve it.

My sister makes what I consider "quick" chili. Basically toss everything into the pot and an hour later serve it. blaaa :drunk:
This way. IMO, cooking down until you have the right consistency is preferable. That way the flavors concentrate.

In answer to the original question. WIth bean. Beef or game with black beans. Pork or chicken with white beans. Pinto's are fine with either, just not preferable. Kidney beans are a bit on the sweet side for chili, IMO. Why beans? Because the food value you get out of the pot of chili without beans doesn't justify the cost of all the meat that went into the dish.

Serving beanless chili on rice or pasta is fine, but it's more work. The beans can cook in with everything else and still be good. Pasta or rice I'd have to cook separately.

I don't let mine go all day, I do it in the dutch oven on the stove top with it just bubbling and usually after about 3 hours or so its done.

I believe you have this proportion reversed. :) with regards to a half cup of tequila plus a few shots for the cook

Nope, I go half a cup. The tequila\oj bit is only a small part of the liquid in my recipe, there is a lot of liquid that comes from canned tomatoes and sauce. You can't really taste the tequila or OJ in it but when you don't use them you can tell the difference.

Serving beanless chili on rice or pasta is fine, but it's more work. The beans can cook in with everything else and still be good. Pasta or rice I'd have to cook separately.

I think I remember the Good Eats episode where AB made red beans and rice and he said that it was a super healthy meal because the combination of beans and rice gives you every essential amino acid.

I think I remember the Good Eats episode where AB made red beans and rice and he said that it was a super healthy meal because the combination of beans and rice gives you every essential amino acid.
Yes. Rice and beans in combination provide all of the essential amino acids thereby forming a complete meatless protein.

Meat is also a complete protein, but it contains a lot more fat then rice or beans. Hence the healthy thing. IMO, meat also tastes better. :)

Ever tried chili over Fritos? We call that "Frito Pie." Very tasty!

Yes! Fritos, chili, red onions and shredded cheese. Sour cream sometimes.

I haven't seen mention of that. I like to put a dollop of sour cream on my chili sometimes.

Wait, so chili without beans is mustard? :confused:

Strange how that works.

How do you guys thicken your chili? I think chili has to be the right consistency and I think masa is the best way to achieve it.

Time. Or, if you use beans like a good and wholesome person does, you can mash some up and add them back in.

Sometimes I'll put a big dollop of guacamole on instead of sour cream; sour cream is tasty, but I'm lactose intolerant. :(
Regards, GF.

It's just about chili time indeed. I've never bothered to write down the recipe, but from what I can remember the equation goes something like this:

meat + chillies + spices + masa + time = Chili

My personal basic rules are: No beans, no tomatoes and never any tomato paste.

I'll eat chili with beans and enjoy it, but that's chili con frijoles not chili con carne.

No list of ingredients here, it's different every time. In the morning I take a variety of dried chile peppers: New Mexico Barkers, anchos, pepins, whatever the Hispanic grocery store has on the shelf and I throw them all in a pot of boiling water. Simmer a few minutes, turn the heat off and put a heavy plate on top of the chiles to weigh them down. While that sits I'll chop the meat-turkey, pork loin or beef sirloin(my favorite) into cubes smaller than 1/2 inch, basically as small as I can chop with a knife. Brown the meat with chopped onions when done add a bunch of minced garlic. Put in heavy pot with a big can of petite diced tomatoes and simmer. Add cumin and dried cilantro.
Now take those chiles out of the pot, scrape the rehydrated pulp from the skins and add the pulp to the pot. Simmer a couple of hours more at least. 15 minutes before dinner, add dark kidney beans. In the bowl I like chunks of asadero cheese on top of the chile. If the chile pulp doesn't give me enough heat I adjust with New Mexico hot or extra hot chile powder. Since I don't belong to the International Chili Society I don't really care what kind of rules they have.

Swmbo wouldn't believe there was a discussion about whther beans were part of a chili or not. Definite yes to beans - someone mentioned it already, the actual name of the dish is chili con carbe. Without carne or beans there wouldn't be a lot left other than a slightly spicy tomato sauce, right?
Also, I was undthe impression that chili is essentially an aztec dish, so I try to incorporate as many Middle American ingredients as possible: cocoa powder, allspice, and, for lack of other spices, cumin and oregano. The heat always comes from ctual peppers rather than hot sauces or powder (unless in a pinch).
He meat is also modernized, as I usually use some form or other of beef.

Ask and you shall receive! Recipes are listed in OP.

And in case any one wondered, the beer was a Westbrook White Thai (courtesy of MTate37).

Swmbo wouldn't believe there was a discussion about whther beans were part of a chili or not. Definite yes to beans - someone mentioned it already, the actual name of the dish is chili con carbe. Without carne or beans there wouldn't be a lot left other than a slightly spicy tomato sauce, right?

I see what you did there.

"Chili con carbe" is almost as hilarious as "spicy tomato sauce".

Here's a good recipe:

1/2 c. canola oil
2.5 lbs sirloin, cut into 1/2" cubes
salt & pepper
1 small red onion, chopped finely
4 cloves garlic, chopped finely
1 jalapeno, chopped finely
3 Tbs ancho chili powder
1 Tbs chipotle chili powder
1 Tbs ground cumin
1 bottle sierra nevada porter
5 cups chicken broth
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
2 Tbs honey
1 can black beans

Salt and pepper beef in a bowl. Brown 1/2 beef and 1/4 c. oil over medium heat in a large pot and remove beef to the side when done.

Remove most of the fat from the pot. Cook onions until soft. Add garlic, jalapeno, cook one minute. Add chili powder and cumin, cook two minutes. Add beer and cook 15 minutes.

Add cooked beef back to the pot. Add broth, tomatoes, and honey. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook 45 minutes. Add beans and cook for 20 more minutes.

OK!! Had to wing it from memory, but it came out AWESOME.

Big pack Of white Navy beans
Chicken bullion
4 chicken breasts
1 cup chopped green chiles
1 jalapeno diced
cumin
oregano
salt
12 oz sour cream
1 large onion diced
1 fresh jalapeno
Big block of white velveeta stuff

Directions:

Soak beans overnight, save soak liquid.
Cook beans as directed, seasoning with 2 tbsp cumin, 4 tbsp bullion, 2 tbsp oregano, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper, and diced jalapeno.

While beans cook...
Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and saute in a pan with a little oil to get a color on both sides.
Remove chicken to cutting board to rest.
Saute diced onions in chicken drippings.

When beans are almost done, add diced chicken and onions and cook 5 minutes. Add liquid if needed, there should be plenty of broth, but not more than 1/2 inch over beans.

Turn heat OFF.

Add block of white cheese, sour cream, green chiles. Do not bring heat back to boil or the cream etc, will curdle and break.

I plan to pan fry some hominy to put on top, but that is it! Turned out awesome.

Barnesie said:
I see what you did there.

"Chili con carbe" is almost as hilarious as "spicy tomato sauce".

Actually it seems that the fourth pint of home brew might have been doing my typing, also, since I don't speak any Spanish, any puns that might be in there are completely unintended.

This thread made me do it, tomatoes and peppers from the garden, beans, ground beef, stout and cocoa and a few dozen more.
Going to let it simmer overnight and probably most of the day.
Only problem is now i'm nervous to take a shower, my hands are burning!:p

-

IMG_0513.jpg

ChefRex said:
And chili and eggs for breakfast with spent grain rye.

Mmmmm.......chili and eggs. I love that combo. Baked beans and eggs are great together for breakfast as well.

Here's a good base recipe that has served me well over the years..

2 lbs - "Chili Grind" Beef Chuck Roast or Stew Meat
(any meat will do, I've even made this with goat before and it was amazing)
1 tbs - Bacon Grease

Bag #1
3 tbs - Chili Powder
1 tsp - Garlic Powder
2 tsp - Onion Powder
1/2 tsp - Black Pepper
1/2 tsp - Salt
1/2 tsp - Cayenne Pepper

Bag #2
3 tbs - Chili Powder
1 tbs - Cumin
2 tsp - Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp - White Pepper
1/2 tsp - Oregano Powder
Pinch - Basil
1 Packet Sazon Goya

Other Ingredients
1 can (14-1/2 oz) Swanson Chicken Broth
1 can (14-1/2 oz) Swanson Beef Broth
1 can (8 oz) Hunts "No Salt Added" Tomato Sauce
1 Knorr Beef Bullion Cube
1/2 tsp - Light Brown Sugar

Heat Bacon Grease in cooking pot until very hot (smoking)
Add "Room Temperature" meat, grey until it starts to make it's own juice
Stir continuously, add both cans of broth, and 1/2 of Bag #1
Cook covered at a medium boil for 45 minutes
Uncover and stir every 10 minutes
Add water as needed
After 45 minutes, add the rest of Bag #1
Add tomato sauce when meat is tender, and add Bag #2
Add 1 beef bullion cube
Add 1/2 tsp light brown sugar

Use the following to season to taste if desired:

Salt
Cayenne Pepper - for hot front taste
White Pepper - for hot front taste
Brown Sugar - for a sweeter taste
Cocoa Powder - for deep rich flavor (use sparingly)
Peanut Butter - for complexity (use very sparingly)

EDIT: If you want a good base chili powder mix two parts mcormick ancho powder to one part mcormick chipoltle powder.

Thanks Homey! :mug:

Nah, thank you!

It is done in a language brewers can understand.......only thing possibly more detailed would have been:

bag 1 - 12hours 15 minutes left in the "stew"

can of tomatoes - 8 hours 30 minutes

bag #2 - 4 hours 15 minutes

cheddar sour cream - flameout.....;)

It's a sourdough culture iv'e been using for the past 10 years or so, really simple, by weight, 1 part starter, 2 parts water, 3 parts flour, when i use spent grain i add a cup or so and adjust the water a little depending in the moisture level, let it sit for 20 min or so then add 2% of flours weight in salt.
I usually let it rise, punch it down and put it in the fridge for a day, pull it out and let it rise again.
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/ Great site for bread

IMG_0086.jpg

It's a sourdough culture iv'e been using for the past 10 years or so, really simple, by weight, 1 part starter, 2 parts water, 3 parts flour, when i use spent grain i add a cup or so and adjust the water a little depending in the moisture level, let it sit for 20 min or so then add 2% of flours weight in salt.
I usually let it rise, punch it down and put it in the fridge for a day, pull it out and let it rise again.
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/ Great site for bread

100% rye flour?

And THANK YOU for posting.

Okay. What about chili and crackers? I used to like oyster crackers in mine.

I've dipped saltines (and tortilla chips) in chili before, but I think thats a bit different than what you are proposing.

Back