Bottom of Keg Funk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dleonard

Reaction score
Ok, I've had more than 20 batches go into kegs, and some, about 50% have a thick layer of syrup on the bottom when I finish them off. Brown ales, pale ales, IPA, extract, AG, and a stout that I can remember.
It's not hard to wash out, just putting a few cups of warm water in the keg, and swirling it once it's empty is enough.
I've noticed that the last few pints usually have a stronger grain flavor, but not enough to be worried about.
It's not really a problem, I'm just wondering if I'm going to the keg too fast, or if there is something else I could do in my process that would prevent this.
Other thoughts: The funk is normally slightly darker than the beer. I never see it in the glass, even on the last pint.
Thanks for any input. Sorry for no pictures, I'll take some at the end of my next keg.
So I guess it's time for a beer!

It's just normal "stuff" falling out of suspension. All my kegs have the same thing. The grainy taste is new to me, it well may be the beer is just aging. I have rushed a few kegs and always noticed the last few pints always taste better.

It's basically all the stuff that would have been on the bottom of a secondary vessel if you cold conditioned it for a month. It's inevitable for most primary-to-keg timeframes, even the patient ones.

Wait that could be some bad stuff. Don't drink any more.... Tell you what, brew your favorite batch and keg it. Mail it to me and I'll let ya know what I find. :)

I find 4-5 kegs might be needed for a true sampling... keep em coming...:tank:

I have found that cold crashing reduces it, but it is always there unless you keg, force carb and bring it to a party the next day that blows the keg. Even then there is a small amount on the bottom.
Even back in the day when I filtered my beer with a cheap system and filters, I still got a little.
Don't worry about, just like bottling, you will get something settling to the bottom, the difference with kegging is you don't dump it into the glass or mouth if your not paying attention until the last couple of pints.
One thing you can do is get a pipe cutter, (cheap) and cut off the last half inch of the pick up tube. The down side is you will not drink those last few pints.

Back