Got a 39 from a BJCP Grand Master II

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buna_Bere

Reaction score
I'm psyched, first comp I entered, I was just looking for some feedback on
a flaw I tasted in my APA, I think it was with the fermentation. The cover
score sheet says it advanced to a mini-Best of Show round too, though I'm
not sure what that means. It was the New England Regional Hombrew Comp.

39tocutsmall.jpg

Nice! Congrats!

Mini-BOS basically means there wasn't a clear winner for your category and the judges looked at a few of the beers again to determine the winner for that category.

Cool. Thanks. Can't wait to enter my next comp now, gotta get in the 40's.

Nice! Congrats!

Mini-BOS basically means there wasn't a clear winner for your category and the judges looked at a few of the beers again to determine the winner for that category.
I thought a mini-BOS was used when there were too many beers in a category. In this case they break it down into two or more flights and the winners from these flights go to the mini-BOS to determine the winner of the category.

edit to say:
And congrats on a great job!

AnOldUR said:
I thought a mini-BOS was used when there were too many beers in a category. In this case they break it down into two or more flights and the winners from these flights go to the mini-BOS to determine the winner of the category.

+1. This is correct. Mini-BOS is the winner of a multi-flight category.

Quoted from BJCP:
"Mini-BOS stands for mini-Best of Show, and is a technique for reconciling the placement of entries within a multi-flight category. It is called a “mini-BOS” because it uses BOS-style judging (i.e., judges pick winners without rescoring) and is only used for a single judging category, not the whole competition (hence, the “mini”)."

Yes. I was actually at that competition stewarding. The Mini-BOS was because some categories had over 30 entries, this being one of them. So they would split the category up between a few pairs of judges, usually 3 pairs, so 6 judges. The category would be divided up between the pairs, each taking 10 or so, and then they would be judged. Each pair would then choose their top 1 or 2 beers, and all those beers would go to the mini-BOS which would then be judged by all the judges in that category.

The feedback looks great! I'm still waiting for mine, although I already know how one of my beers fared. (Or ours, rather; I brewed it with my brother.) I'm very interested in seeing the score sheets, though. Until I saw yours I didn't know what one looked like or what was on it. Our first comp too.

Sounds like a nice APA you've got there!

Back