Temperature Controller Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erythro73

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm presently building with a friend a Fermentation Chiller. The construction part is not over, but the electronical part is almost finished. So far, it works great.

My question is about the thermistor. Do I have to put a heat shrink tube over it? I saw this from there : Digital Controller . I'm worried about two issues :

1) If I put the heat shrink tube, wouldn't it result in faulty temperature reading? I mean, I've been thinking about putting the thermistor on the (exterior side of) bucket to have the temperature of the fermentation, but I wonder if the heat shrink tubing is thermal isolator or not.

2) There will be a lot of condensation down there. I'm not expert, but is it reall good to have the thermistor exposed to water like that (if not putting a heat shrink around it).

Thank you for your answers!

You should protect the thermistor in some way. Some people have encased them in hot melt glue or epoxy if they aren't intended to be submerged. It will affect your reading slighty, not the accuracy but the sensitivity. However, since what we're measuring doesn't change rapidly anyway, that's all fine. If you were measuring rapidly moving air in duct work and had a device that needed to make quick decisions based on temperature changes it might be a problem. But for gallons of fermenting beer that is going to take minutes to hours to change temperature, you'll never notice the difference.

If you really want to protect it, build or buy an end for it. You can make ends from brass tubing and solder the end shut or I sell a TIG welded SS version here: Stainless Steel Temperature Probe Ends

Hi,
I'm presently building with a friend a Fermentation Chiller. The construction part is not over, but the electronical part is almost finished. So far, it works great.

My question is about the thermistor. Do I have to put a heat shrink tube over it? I saw this from there : Digital Controller . I'm worried about two issues :

1) If I put the heat shrink tube, wouldn't it result in faulty temperature reading? I mean, I've been thinking about putting the thermistor on the (exterior side of) bucket to have the temperature of the fermentation, but I wonder if the heat shrink tubing is thermal isolator or not.

2) There will be a lot of condensation down there. I'm not expert, but is it reall good to have the thermistor exposed to water like that (if not putting a heat shrink around it).

Thank you for your answers!

Check out the probe ends on this site. I just received mine today and they look great.

Stainless Steel Temperature Probe Ends

EDIT: LOL I didn't even notice Derrin's reply. :: puts on dunce hat::

+1 to him and his probe ends.

hehehe... I'm slowly migrating stirplates.com over to brewershardware.com but I've left stirplates up since it has good ranking and a ton of links out there.

Thanks for the business psyber and I'm glad you like them.

Latest posts

Back