Bottle sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just filter the beer through my BIAB bag (paint strainer bag from Home Depot) when I transfer from my brew kettle to my primary, and again on the end of my racking cane when I transfer to my bottling bucket or keg. I'll typically only have a minor amount of yeast sediment in my bottles that stay in a hard clump on the bottom.

That's cool. I'll check that out. I suppose this bag could be used during sparging too to collect any particulate that the vorlauffing (or however it's spelled) misses.

Does the taste or idea bother you? I normally just let it rip. Yeast contain lots of B vitamins and other healthy stuffs.

Does the taste or idea bother you? I normally just let it rip. Yeast contain lots of B vitamins and other healthy stuffs.

Sometimes the taste can be a little much when brewers have a lot of stuff in their bottles - I typically leave a tiny amount of the beer in the bottom of the bottle and don't sweat it.

But I've also started doing something similar to TopherM above, I strain it pretty much every chance I get and I typically have very little sediment because of it.

I usually scale my recipes to allow for an extra half-gallon of beer/sediment to be left behind in the fermenter during bottling (ie. for a 5gal. recipe, scale to 5.5gal. and only bottle 5gal. of clear beer.) This significantly reduces the amount of sediment in the bottles to merely a light dusting.

Either way, I think drinking straight from the bottle is going to stir up some of the sediment as you near the last 1/4 of the beer, regardless of how much there is in the bottom (unless there's none!) ;)

A bit of a bigger project for a minor issue, but you could force carbonate in kegs and then fill with a counter pressure filler. I primarily keg, but I will sometimes fill some bottles with the filler. They end up completely sediment free.

Back