Country music's fixation on ICE COLD BEER

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
God I hate pop country. They occasionally play it at work, beyond my control.

"Where the beer is ice cold"

Don't know the song, but it is a recurring them in country music.

I can't really put it into words. Yes, you can drink beer cold. Yes you can like country music.

Country music's shameless pandering to redneck values such as pick up trucks and ice cold beer is so transparent.

Can you imagine a real songwriter writing about ice cold beer or the vehicle they drive? I can't.

Don't forget Taylor Swift always whining about relationships like an emo band, meanwhile she seems to have dated every young male in Hollywood...probably should be singing about why she is a train wreck.

What about Zac Brown's cold beer in his hand? That isn't pandering to redneck stereotypes, just a song about taking a weekend trip to Mexico.

What about at the ball park? Vendors are always shouting "COLD BEER!"

The fact of the matter is "Warm Beer" won't sell. :D

Gee, let's see, country music tends to be identified with/originating in the south, where the temp is usually HOTTER than in the North in summer, I wonder if it could simple be, that there's SOMETHING REFRESHING, and ICE COLD thirst quenching beer on a hot day? Same with baseball in the summer, where in that instance, personally I'd rather have an ice cold pilsner/lager than a warm/room temperature stout any day.

Sometimes the answer is the obvious. ;)

Im going to tell you all a little secret about me. I hate country music with a burning passion. Its totally irrational.

I recognize there are very kind, decent people in the world who enjoy country music, and I'm obviously ok with that, but I would rather hear the gutwrenching sceams of the eternally damned than country music.

The two words together by themselves make me mad.

Im going to tell you all a little secret about me. I hate country music with a burning passion. Its totally irrational.

I recognize there are very kind, decent people in the world who enjoy country music, and I'm obviously ok with that, but I would rather hear the gutwrenching sceams of the eternally damned than country music.

The two words together by themselves make me mad.

Depends on what I am doing. And the type of country music.

But yes I like the gutwrenching screams of the eternally dammed as well sometimes.

God, I'm trying to remember this folk song by a fairly well know singer songwriter (John Prine maybe?,) who does this long rambling story song about something, with humorous patter, and as he gets to the end of the song he says something like "You know I just realized that I could branch out into a whole new audience if I just add another verse to this story," and he then throws in every country music trope their is...Like, My mother drove my pickup and accidentally ran over my three legged dog and on and on and on....It's pretty funny, but he skewers just about every aspect of the genre.

Dude, I used to date a woman who loved country music. She is not the woman I married, and this is not a coincidence.

Either you are a better man than I, or she is a better woman than most in all other categories.

All popular music panders to a certain idea and sells itself based on that image. Rap music is all about how gangster you are and how much money you make from hustlin'. Country music is all about how backwoods, down home, and country you can be. That "image" is all about long dirt roads, pickup trucks, and ice cold beer. Nothing about that image is going to change anytime soon.

I also, for the record, absolutely despise country music :)

I used to go to my now ex-girlfriend's apartment and that crap would be playing. I'd sit her down, super serious face, "we have to talk". I'd look her right in the eye and say:

"Jen. I'm scared. I am scared you are going to leave me for a goat."

We werent meant to be.

Since we are all on this negative train....

I will go against the flow and say that my wife was born on a beef farm and grew up listening to country. She got me listening to it recently and many of the songs I actually like. Most country music has lyrics that apply to daily life, all of them are clean and tell a story of the struggles we go through on the day to day as well as the beauty of life and love.

I am pro-America and pro-guns so Toby Keith's songs about the red white and blue and our military I find to be very patriotic and American.

Mainstream Pop and hip hop lyrics? 95% of them are about drugs, cheating on your significant other, abusing women, being a 'gangsta', spending money you don't have on "bling", etc.

Maybe the fact that Pop/Hip hop is the favorite music of generation Y is the reason we have so much hate in this world today.

All popular music panders to a certain idea and sells itself based on that image. Rap music is all about how gangster you are and how much money you make from hustlin'. Country music is all about how backwoods, down home, and country you can be. That "image" is all about long dirt roads, pickup trucks, and ice cold beer. Nothing about that image is going to change anytime soon.

I also, for the record, absolutely despise country music :)

Actually Rap has changed massively in the last few years. It's all about money and women. Very few popular musicians who're gangsta rappers. Even Lil Wayne dresses like a hipster now.

But you are right, pop music is all about selling records and the easiest way to do that is sell and image.

Pop and Hip Hop suck too.

Rock used to be the only thing I listed to. What happened to the good rock artists and bands? I grew up listening to 90's rock. There was 10 times more good stuff coming out back then, than there is today.

Yall should listen to some older country music. All the new stuff is crap but a lot of the older stuff is really good. I used to hate all country, until I worked for an 80 year old man that only listened to "country legends" and now I love the good old country storytellers

I will go against the flow and say that my wife was born on a beef farm and grew up listening to country. She got me listening to it recently and many of the songs I actually like. Most country music has lyrics that apply to daily life, all of them are clean and tell a story of the struggles we go through on the day to day as well as the beauty of life and love.

I am pro-America and pro-guns so Toby Keith's songs about the red white and blue and our military I find to be very patriotic and American.

Mainstream Pop and hip hop lyrics? 95% of them are about drugs, cheating on your significant other, abusing women, being a 'gangsta', spending money you don't have on "bling", etc.

Maybe the fact that Pop/Hip hop is the favorite music of generation Y is the reason we have so much hate in this world today.

I think blaming generational problems on music/TV/videogames/movies/whatever is stupid. Everyone tries to do it but it's really a culture thing dependent on the environment you grew up in. USA was never a loving happy go lucky country. Slavery, Jim Crowe laws, profiling pretty much every ethnic group that came into this country from the Irish, to the Italians to eastern Europeans, to Chinese and Japanese. In WWII we made an internment camp for US citizens based on their nationality? How is that loving?

Any issues we have as a country are cultural and music reflects culture, it doesn't direct it.

I think it was passedpawn who said "these are the good old days."

For whatever reason we tend to look back fondly on the past, dusting over the really crappy parts. People have been kvetching about the negative effects of popular music since the time of the Roman Empire, if not earlier. Every old person to ever get old has uttered "kids today" since the beginning of time.

I was born in 1980, so I grew up when MTV was good and everything was much better than it is now. Actually, MTV played Phil Collins and Rod Stewart nonstop for years, New York City was a powderkeg of crime and hate, and murder rates throughout the whole country were sky-high.

Country music, however, still sucked.

Rock used to be the only thing I listed to. What happened to the good rock artists and bands? I grew up listening to 90's rock. There was 10 times more good stuff coming out back then, than there is today.

Harder to find. But there's still some good bands out there. "Good Rock" was easier to find in the early 90s (pretty much everything from 96 on but the Foos and Rage sucked) because it was what was popular. Now in the similar vain "indie" rock is what's popular (bands like F.U.N., Foster the People, and the Lumineers) so if you dont' like that style (I don't) you're not gonna find much. Personally, I've gone back into my music shell lately not looking for new music (though I'll be picking up AIC's new album, Black Gives Way to Blue was really good) but instead grasping the music I already have and expanding my library on certain artists. Lately I've been working on Bruce Springsteen and I just bought 101 Louis Armstrong tracks that i'm looking forward to getting to listen to all of them.

I think it was passedpawn who said "these are the good old days."

For whatever reason we tend to look back fondly on the past, dusting over the really crappy parts. People have been kvetching about the negative effects of popular music since the time of the Roman Empire, if not earlier. Every old person to ever get old has uttered "kids today" since the beginning of time.

I was born in 1980, so I grew up when MTV was good and everything was much better than it is now. Actually, MTV played Phil Collins and Rod Stewart nonstop for years, New York City was a powderkeg of crime and hate, and murder rates throughout the whole country were sky-high.

Country music, however, still sucked.

That's the thing that gets me, everyone waxes so fondly of the past, and sometimes the past sucked even more.

Someone told me this is the worst time in American history, and my immediate response is you dont' think 1860 was worse? What about the 1930s and early 40s? I'd take an economic recession and soaring debt over a schism that caused Americans to take up arms against each other, or a depression that lasted a decade and didn't really end until WWII started, which by the way, led to many more deaths of Americans, most of whom were young adults.

You're 100% right, every generation waxes fondly over their generation and every generation before them looked horrible. I was watching Ken Burns's Jazz and the people growing up in the 20s, 30s, and 40s (when everyone was a saint if you ask someone who grew up then) people were doing all kinds of crazy things that were the spawn of the devil and blah blah blah. And they were the worst generation of Americans ever.

And I second that country music sucks. Though I'm a fan of Willie Nelson Hank Williams and Johnny Cash.

Oh please. Country music has plenty of cheating and wasting money on things you don't need. And I seriously doubt that "95%" of the pop and hip-hop songs are about those things you mentioned (ok, maybe the hip-hop songs...)

And the world has been full of hate since forever. People don't need music as motivation to hurt and kill each other.

What's wrong with cold beer? Everyone in this forum likes cold beer. Maybe not ice cold, but on a warm day working out in the yard, who doesn't like a nice cold daisy cutter, yakima glory or the like?

Granted, every style has a preferred serving temperature, but is it enough to hear about ice cold beer in a song and get all bent out of shape about it?

Screw all that. I'd rather have one ice cold and let it warm up in my glass than one that's 80 degrees. Get over yourself.

I absolutely abhor modern country music. My wife loves it. Actually, he whole family does. I wish death upon myself almost daily when I come home to her stupid country music.

PKU. Let your wife, kids and extended family listen to whatever they want. Only rule in our house is the one that drives the car is the one that gets to pick the radio station or CD.

Pop and Hip Hop suck too.

If your jamz are more than a decade old, you'd probably agree, too. You get old enough and you'll stop comparing the songs of your generation to other generations. Quit complaining and find something listenable that you all like.

Rock is all you listened to? How one dimensional of you. You'd probably hate my 90's mix with Radiohead, Beck, Beastie Boys, etc..

At least they like beer (if you can call it that)...

So we have something in common.

At last, someone willing to entertain the thought of common ground! Prost to that!

There's good country music being made today, we just keep it to ourselves in Texas and Oklahoma. The mainstream, poppy stuff coming out of Nashville is a joke.

I think blaming generational problems on music/TV/videogames/movies/whatever is stupid. Everyone tries to do it but it's really a culture thing dependent on the environment you grew up in. USA was never a loving happy go lucky country. Slavery, Jim Crowe laws, profiling pretty much every ethnic group that came into this country from the Irish, to the Italians to eastern Europeans, to Chinese and Japanese. In WWII we made an internment camp for US citizens based on their nationality? How is that loving?

Any issues we have as a country are cultural and music reflects culture, it doesn't direct it.

I think its cute you put that all in the past tense, like we have things figured out right now.

I think its cute you put that all in the past tense, like we have things figured out right now.

We don't. I put everything in the past tense because that's what the topic was. The past and how the past is better than the present as intended by the comment "hate in the world today"

Rock is all you listened to? How one dimensional of you. You'd probably hate my 90's mix with Radiohead, Beck, Beastie Boys, etc..

In highschool yes. Radiohead, Beck and Beastie Boys are all under the umbrella genre of "rock" and I listened to all those bands, STP, Soundgarden, Metallica, Rage, etc., etc.

Today I'm much more open minded and have certain songs I like from Pop, Rock, Alternative Rock, County, Hip-Hop and other styles as well.

If you want to talk about one dimensional, what about saying that all country music sucks because you don't like the style? I don't like Rap as a style of music but there are certain rap songs I dig. Saying all country music sucks is like saying all domestic beer sucks without even trying more than one brand.

Get off my lawn you #$&^@^ kids!!!!!

This.

Ice cold beer... Is there any other way to drink Bud Ice?

No.

In highschool yes. Radiohead, Beck and Beastie Boys are all under the umbrella genre of "rock" and I listened to all those bands, STP, Soundgarden, Metallica, Rage, etc., etc.

Today I'm much more open minded and have certain songs I like from Pop, Rock, Alternative Rock, County, Hip-Hop and other styles as well.

If you want to talk about one dimensional, what about saying that all country music sucks because you don't like the style? I don't like Rap as a style of music but there are certain rap songs I dig. Saying all country music sucks is like saying all domestic beer sucks without even trying more than one brand.

Your back pedaling answer makes my music ***** dry.

Saying all American Music sucks is like saying all domestic beer sucks.

Saying all Country Music sucks is very much like saying all American Light Lager sucks.

Saying Rap sucks is like saying all Malt Liquor sucks. :fro:

Latest posts

Back