Phone Scams

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have caller ID and don't pick up calls unless I know the caller. Just got a call from someone trying to sell satellite TV. Funny thing was that the caller ID was for the local fuel oil company. I did a call back and actually got the fuel oil company. Is this something new? They can use a fake caller ID and call back number from someone in your area?

I've had calls like that. Pisses me off somethign terrible. I pressed 1 to talk with someone, then tried to get as much information about who they were as I could. She didn't want to give the phone to a manager, or give me any information about the company. Plus, it sounded like she was calling from another country!

I've even had some that Caller ID says were "Cellular Call".

Anyone can get caller ID hacking software and put anything they want on the screen. It's really sad. Oh, and it's illegal, but how are you going to get the FCC to look into this?

It's actually legal in a lot of cases. But the law is pretty hazy, in this case it was probably not legal.

It is pretty easy to do now though apparently.

Yeah, I see those a lot. They are also never somebody you actually want to talk to. I called back one time and got a person who didn't want to hand me to a manager. It turned out to be a contracted call-center. They did collections, sold satellite TV and a few other things as well.

Latest posts

Back