Not a lambic but 100% Belgian brett pa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jewsh

Reaction score
I brewed a Belgian Brett pa about a month ago. Pitched my wyeast brett strain. Didn't start up for three days, hear this is normal. Temp in my room is cold. I was aiming for 64 deg. but the highest at one point in time was 62. lowest was 59. Have not taken a gravity readingf, but krausen has dropped back into solution and most of my little friends have dropped out of solution. Out of the airlock, it smells extremly similar to goose island's Matilds that is refermented with brett.

Should I transfer to secondary? I don't normally secondary.
I hear you want to leave it in primary for three months. Then package, and leave for a period of three months to a year or more to produce the nice dirty sock wet hore in a rundown barnyard aroma that we all love from brettanomyces.
I would like to clear up my carboy for another batch, was going to use plastic. I hear it is better for wild yeast, because oxygen can permiate the bucket. I learned that from Vinnie. The BN Rocks.
Any tips?

I just started an all-brett yesterday. It's 30 hours and there is 1.5 inches of kraeusen on it, and I used FermCapS. It is sitting on the basement concrete floor, in a glass carboy, which is probably in the low 60s.

This is my first. I heard you treat it like any normal beer; leave it for a couple of weeks after fermentation is done and bottle.

Brett supposedly acts differently if it's the primary yeast or used as a secondary yeast. As the prime yeast it will not eat all the unfermentable sugars and will finish similar to Sacc.

Everything I have read says that you should store long-term in glass, whether brett is used as the primary or secondary strain. It does like oxygen when used as the secondary strain, but a plastic bucket still lets too much in.

Agreed with the poster above, a 100% Brett beer should be packaged relatively quickly (especially if you want the beer to retain any IPA character). You probably won't get a huge amount of funk, !00% Brett beers tend to be cleaner than doing a mixed fermentation.

What is your gravity? I'd probably give it a month in primary, then two weeks in secondary with the dry hops before bottling/carbing as usual. The bucket should be fine for a short secondary.

I've been planning on doing something similar after having a couple nice Brett/funky IPAs (it was a concept I wasn't enamored with initially after trying Wild Devil and a few others that were too aged out).

Hope that helps, good luck.

Back