Can too low of a PSI cause too much foam?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BulldogBrewer

Reaction score
I've been trying to resolve some foaming issues. Currently my PSI is sittling a little below 10, right around 7 or 8. I think the beer was initially overcarbed so I turned the gas off and bled the keg off over the course of a day or so until it seemed like there wasn't much "extra" gas coming off. I was running a short 1/4" ID beer line and read here that that would be an issue, so I swapped that out for a 10 foot line. Still have quite a bit of foam.

Wondering if the low pressure isn't enough to get through that length of line and causing foaming, or is it most likely still overcarbed?

Thanks! This is my first keg and I'm trying to dial in the process.

an overly shook keg will give you a glass of foam. to much pressure will give you a glass of foam. warming of dispenser lines will give you a glass of foam. opening the tap to slowly will give you a glass of foam.

i recommend lowering the pressure little by little till you get a proper level of foam. also there are tower cooling devices you can get to make sure your beer isn't warming on its ay to the tap.

Hmm... I may not have allowed the beer line to cool before trying a beer... it's on a party tap so I may be doing that way too slow thinking I was using it right..

My first real tap is sitting on my door step waiting for me to get home.

Thanks for the hints.

Yep, For example. Using 40°F and carbing of 2.5 volumes you need the following lengths

1/4" line = 176" of line. (14.6')
3/16" line = 45" of line. (3.75')

And get Beer Line. Not just tubing. It's extra smooth walled. Micromatic. Helped my foam troubles. I use 40°, reg at 10-11psi and 5ft lines. Calculator said 2.5 or3' but I couldn't believe it and went 5'.

Well I got my first real tap installed yesterday and now all seems well. The pressure is definitely too low for serving pressure as I hardly get any foam now. I'm guessing I wasn't using the picnic tap appropriately...

Thanks for the assistance. It's been fun drinking through a keg to fine tune this :mug:

I use 10' of 3/16 line with picnic taps. With about 12-15psi, foam comes out about right, one to two finger widths.

:mug:

Im running 8' of 3/16th line at 12-13psi with picnic taps, and the pour is way to fast! I really dont want another 5' of line in my fridge! :(

Back