brewing my first batch right now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
and having a blast. the anticipation is killing me though. i know i have a long time until I can crack one open. there is a lot of waiting involved lol. brewing an american pale ale, all grain.

first batch and ur going straight to all-grain? thats awesome, i have about 4 under my belt and i really wanna make the switch but im too afraid of what to expect. even with all the reading it still seems very intimidating.

just finished cleaning up and the batch is in the fermenter. crossing my fingers for a good one. thanks to all the well-wishers and words of encouragement. :mug:

Naturally everyone is impatient with their first batch and start drinking it way too early. Remember the longer you wait the better it will taste.

All grain is a big leap, as it causes you to reevaulate your system and its efficiency, and usefulness. There are new gadgets, new methods, and more thinking involved. It is great to do a few extract batches, however, move on when you get bored. all grain is a great step forward. Everything changes. (at least it did for us) We built a completely new setup and it works great.

Cracked open my first batch this weekend... this was brewed on April 23rd, 6 weeks seems forever... but it was well worth the wait. I passed the time brewing more beer and building up my brewing supplies and knowledge. Enjoy the wait and congrats on your first batch!

just checked the fermenter and the yeasties are working away. probably a bit warm, but i dont have any other options at the moment. i'll probably get a mini fridge with a temp controller before my next batch (maybe an oktoberfest in that case?)

I do have one question that is bothering me. I lost a LOT of volume during the boil. Like a gallon. How do I reduce that or should I just start off with more wort?

just checked the fermenter and the yeasties are working away. probably a bit warm, but i dont have any other options at the moment. i'll probably get a mini fridge with a temp controller before my next batch (maybe an oktoberfest in that case?)

I do have one question that is bothering me. I lost a LOT of volume during the boil. Like a gallon. How do I reduce that or should I just start off with more wort?

Start off with more water. I lose 1.5 gallons per hour in the boil. When I do a 90 minute boil, I start with 7.75 Gallons in the kettle.

in that case, should i mash and sparge with more water, or just add water to the wort prior to boiling? seems like i'd get better efficiency if i mash and sparge with more water. correct me here if i'm wrong?

I mash with 1.25 qts per pound of grain then sparge with the proper amount of water to get me to desired kettle volume. The more sparge water the better. I figure I get about 60% of my initial mash water out of the MLT then add enough water for sparging to get me to 7 or 7.75 gallons depending on how long I plan to boil.

If I miss my kettle volume, I adjust boiling time if I can to correct it.

oxford... That is acceptable. You can always dilute, but i prefer to ferment what comes out of the kettle, hence i sparge more to get there.

Back