Question about carbing my applewine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyc

Reaction score
I read a recipe on here the other day and the person was using one can of concentrated apple juice for carbing. Ive never heard of this and I was interested in trying it. My question is, does it work? And does it add to the flavor?

Yes it works....Someone did a "Gram of sugar" comparison. Basically, just add the can to the 5 gallons and bottle. To me this is a bit of a scary proposition, and will continue to use 5 - 6 oz of corn sugar at bottling.

So Im actually getting ready to bottle using the concentrated apple juice. My next question is, do i need to bring it to a boil before adding?

corn sugar as in Karo syrup?

Corn Syrup is d-glucose, like corn sugar, but you'd need to make sure there are no additives, and you'd have to get the ratio right. If it say "High-Fructose" before corn syrup, then it has been processed into fructose.

If you can get straight corn syrup, then all you'd need to do is figure out the ratio if you really wanted to use it. You could do this a number of ways. I'd recommend dissolving a specific amount of it in water and comparing to corn sugar using your hydrometer. You might also be able to look on the label and see how many grams of sugar there are per a specific mass or volume.

It seems like syrup would be much more difficult to mix into the applewine, though. And you're not really saving any money considering how cheap corn sugar is.

OK, did a little searching - corn syrup is Karo, and corn sugar is dextrose? These don't restart yeast like regular white sugar would?

There is enough yeast left over that this little bit of corn sugar will be fermented. This will not really add to the alcoholic content, but in the bottle the CO2 has no place to go and is absorbed resulting in the carbonation.

this is interesting how that is accomplished! Can this cause blow-ups though from the pressure of the CO2? Or is it not enough to cause a problem? I got a 6 gallon carboy yesterday on freecycle (WOOHOO FOR FREECYCLE!) and I'm going to make a 6 gallon batch of apfelwein......

Latest posts

Back