Help a first time brewer! Should I rack my lager *now*?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Futureman

Reaction score
Here is the background:

My first batch of brew is a lager. It has been fermenting in a rather high temperature (66F). I simply didn't read ahead about ideal fermenting temperatures. In any case, the brew smells and tastes pretty good--nice and hoppy with no traces of the preexisting banana smell.

As of today, the krausen has fallen back in. The bubbling has stopped and I'm getting a hydrometer reading of about 1015 (aiming for 1010). Can I leave it in the primary for a few more days? I've been reading John Palmer, and he suggests that I'm ready to rack. The problem, however, is that I'll be away for a few days and may not be able to do so until the weekend.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

:confused:

welcome to the soon to be addiction that is homebrewing. not to push a 'use the search noob' but as other threads have said if youre not having problems you can let it sit in the primary. never rely on instructions for final gravity check it over a couple of days if its steady then fermentation is done. and my last bit of advice: relax dont worry and(get ready to)have a home brew

Here is the background:

My first batch of brew is a lager. It has been fermenting in a rather high temperature (66F). I simply didn't read ahead about ideal fermenting temperatures. In any case, the brew smells and tastes pretty good--nice and hoppy with no traces of the preexisting banana smell.

As of today, the krausen has fallen back in. The bubbling has stopped and I'm getting a hydrometer reading of about 1015 (aiming for 1010). Can I leave it in the primary for a few more days? I've been reading John Palmer, and he suggests that I'm ready to rack. The problem, however, is that I'll be away for a few days and may not be able to do so until the weekend.

First off welcome to the world of brewing its a great hobby. When brewing lagers you really want to keep fermenting temperatures in some cases as low as 40F The temperatures your at now (60) is perfect for a ale.

Let me ask you some question are you use a frig or a freeze for fermenting or are you just using a cool room? If you are just using a cool room i would try brewing some Ales, Ale are a little more forgiving with temp then Lagers are.

On to your racking question. Letting your brew sit in primary for a couple weeks is fine it a lot of cases it good for you beer long term bulk aging will give you a good taste. Do you plan of racking to a secondary or racking to bottle or keg? When i brew i leave my beer in primary for 3 to some time four weeks then bottle. The only time i use a secondary is if i am dry hoping or adding fruit. But you can go either way. Here is some more info on secondary https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/do-i-have-use-secondary-7960/ But the best way to find out if it is ready to be racked to bottling or secondary take a hydrometer reading or 2 to 3 day if the reading stays the same you are ready to move. Hope this help a bit Ask anything you need

Thanks, all!

And yes, I've been fermenting in a cool room (my basement). After this batch, I'll be brewing ales until I have equipment for temp. control.

Latest posts

Back