CO@ leaking at in post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RotorHead6

Reaction score
I have a used keg that held CO2 upon shipment to me. When I sanitized and put pressure to the keg to empty the sanitizer and clean the tap I didn't notice any leaks. I filled the keg and chilled it along with the CO@ tank for a few hours. When I connected the CO2 to the in post of the ball lock keg, I noticed after CO2 entered the keg that CO2 was leaking from the post. It seemed if the quick connect was positional. I didn't want to trust it and have an empty tank in the morning. The orings all look good. Any ideas? Thanks

What post the beveage or gas? Was it leaking when the gas or beverage connector was on the post or when they are not.

Did you test it with soapy water / star-san solution or just hear it hissing?

You may need new popettes or sometimes you can take a small screw driver and just press and release the popettes quickly that will seal them.

Also sometimes keg lube will help them seal.

I heard the gas leaking from the gas valve. I have not replaced the orings or poppet valves. They are ball lock kegs so are there different size poppet valves? Also, what size orings to use? Thanks.

From the Kegging Sticky:

http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=34669

That'll give you sizes. Lube helps too, as you don't roll the o-ring all wankey when you're hooking up the fitting.

Personally, I spray the fitting and post with Star-San (I always have a little spray bottle around) to help prevent contamination. Same may call it anal, but it also works as a lube.

The sticky has LOTS of answers.

Back