I made horseradish tonight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesnsw

Reaction score
I've been feeling kinda stuffy recently, and was getting tired of the sinus pressure. Now, growing up, an old Polish neighbor would always make horseradish for us, and when I was stuffy, my dad would tell me to take a big whiff of the horseradish. Of course, I also loved putting it on pretty much anything.
So I decided to make my own horseradish. SWMBO would only let me if it was cheaper, which luckily it was. I made $6 of horseradish for probably only $3.

Got 1/4 lb at Whole Foods- it was far from fresh, I don't think horseradish really moves...

Brought it home, peeled it, and cubed it. Took my food processor outside, and threw in the horseradish with some water. Got it nice and shredded, then brought it back inside, where I opened it up and WOW! This stuff packs a punch. It's literally tear gas... I was crying, my nose was running, and I could barely open my eyes.

And here's the catch- it gets hotter the longer it is exposed to oxygen. The only way to halt it is to pour on vinegar. The only way to pour it on is to enter the cloud of tear gas. So mine is a bit hotter than even I would like.

I added 3/4 cup vingegar, a teaspoon of sugar, and a dash of salt. Ended up with 1.5 cups of horseradish that have thoroughly and effectively cleaned me out. Not only that, it's delicious.

I love fresh horseradish and my grandpa used to make the best.

One time my uncle stuck his head in the pot of a freshly ground batch and it caused him to pass out flat on the floor. :D

You can grow it in a little patch of ground, about 4sqft & it would likely provide at least several months worth of horseradish for you at a cost of a wee bit of space, time & water. Regards, GF.

my dad made it one ime!!!in the house!!!we ended up staying in a hotel that night!!!

HAHA I can definitely see this happening.

By the way- adding some baking soda really took the horseradish scent out of the plastics that it came in contact with.

And here's the catch- it gets hotter the longer it is exposed to oxygen. The only way to halt it is to pour on vinegar. The only way to pour it on is to enter the cloud of tear gas. So mine is a bit hotter than even I would like.

I had some fresh horseradish once that an old Pennsylvania Dutch guy made. You could have almost stripped paint with that stuff. I assumed it was so freakin' hot because he dug it out of the ground the day before he made it. Now that I know - I might have to visit the local Whole Foods & pick some up. That stuff he made was probably the best horseradish I ever had.

My wife and I catered our wedding reception a couple of years ago. I Did prime rib, with a fresh horseradish. After going throught the food processor and sitting for a couple, I went for a whiff.

It felt not altogether unlike what draincleaner might feel like if snorted. It tasted great though:rockin:

Latest posts

Back