Metallic Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schumed

Reaction score
I made the Honey weizen kit from Midwest. It sat in the fermenter for 3 weeks...4 weeks in bottles. The first 12-15 bottles were great. The last 3 bottles I have tried had a strong metallic taste had to really try to get it down. The first one I figured I had a bottle I didn't sanitize properly...but the next two I think something is up. These have been in the fridge for over a month

I have another case that is still sitting in the closet...going to see what those are like

Any thoughts

The metallic taste from extract is a common thread here... search around a bit. I think it's because certain brands of extract have it.

Try using another brand of extract. The LHBS I get my extract from pours fresh from some giant tub and has super high turnover... it's always fresh.

Here is the recipe:
Product Description
A refreshing beer for anytime of the year. 2 lb. of Minnesota Clover Honey gives this brew a light crisp flavor and an extra kick of alcohol. Our ingredients for this recipe include: 6 lb. Wheat liquid malt extract, 2 lb. Minnesota Clover Honey, 8 oz. Carapils specialty grains, 2 oz. Styrian Goldings pellet hops, yeast, priming sugar and a grain bag.

I put one in the fridge last night and tried today no metallic taste.

Can long period of time in fridge cause the metallic taste?

A corroded immersion wort chiller could shed some copper in your beer.

A lot of people have talked about a metallic "twang" from extract but I have never experienced it to know.

Palmer describes the taste of oxidized beer as 'wet cardboard' which sounds pretty distinct from metallic.

Maybe ask a LHBS what it tastes like, if you have a wizard at one of yours.

Back