Analyze recipe please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OPKUTech

Reaction score
This is my first time coming up with a recipe. I admit I pulled it out of the air, but I used "beer recipator" to help with the details. It is trying to be a rye with an undertone of roast flavor. What do you think? Any comments? Too much something? not enough something?

Grain
7 lb. American 2-row
1 lb. British chocolate
3 lb. Flaked rye

Boil: minutes SG 1.058 6.0 gallons
1 lb. Light dry malt extract

Hops: 1 oz. Cluster (7% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Cluster (7% AA, 15 min.)
.5 oz. Kent Goldings (aroma

All Criticizms are accepted, even if they are ignored.
Thanks.

i think .25 lb of chocolate is what i would do. should be subtle under the rye at that amount, but still there and enough to compliment. maybe even 5 oz. I'd probably up the 2-row. you can always use whatever you end up brewing as a baseline for the next time you brew it!

Agreed. You won't get an undertone of roast flavor with that much chocolate malt, you'll get full on roast flavor. That's more chocolate than both the porters I've just made.

indeed. those dark roasted grains are more powerful than you might think.

.25 lb should be plenty

2-4oz will get you a nice nutty undertone. 4-6 oz will get you some distinct roast, and 8-16oz will put you in porter country

I agree with the above comments on the chocolate, a few ounces should do it.

The flaked rye seems high to me also. Maybe 2# malted rye and 1# flaked rye, or maybe 50/50 flaked and malted? Flaked or malted, anything over ~20% rye is just asking for a stuck sparge, so I'd also throw in a handfull of rice hulls too.

Back