Looking for brew pot or keggle advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeRad77

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade from my little stove top pot to a bigger boil pot. Any advice on what size / brand / type I should get? I would like it to have a thermometer on the side, a ball valve, and possibly have increments hatched on the inside to measure the volume of liquid in the pot. I only brew 5 gallon extract batches right now, but I want to get a pot that is large enough to brew larger all grain batches once I get to that point. Something in the 200-250 dollar range, or less.

Thanks

10 gallon works good for 5 gallon batches. megapots, polarware and blichmann are good. check out the vendor websites tomorrow and i am sure you will find a black friday deal - especially morebeer.

if you are ever going to step up to all grain, i would recommend a sightglass so that you can easily figure out volumes when calculating efficiencies.

keg ($45)
angle grinder from Harbor Freight ($17)
cutting wheel from Harbor Freight ($2)
hole saw set from Harbor Freight ($9)
Weldless sightglass set from bargainfittings.com ($26)
Thermometer from bargainfittings.com ($26)
Weldless bulkhead set from bargainfittings.com ($16)
Diptube from bargainfittings.com ($13)

Total bill would be $154. You can probably find the keg cheaper, and you might already have an angle grinder. Plus, this way you get to have the satisfaction of doing everything yourself. It feels good. Just take your time and you'll have something to be proud of.

You can take the $50-150 you didn't spend on an overpriced thin walled pre-built thing and get one of these. Moving to propane will be a big awesome, even for 5 gal extract.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely go keggle. I see your location is Seattle, check craigslist, there are always kegs for sale in the Puget Sound area, just make sure it's a Sanke style keg. A whole lot cheaper and you can pat yourself on the back and say "yea, I built it".

Latest posts

Back