Sometimes, I hate Alaska!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bstacy1974

Reaction score
I ***** about this alot, but shipping to AK is such a PITA!

Merchant #1 - FREE SHIPPING on orders over $100, oh, but not for you.
Merchant#2 - Flat Rate shipping, oh, for everyone except you stupid Alaskans!

I'm looking for a new grain mill. Amazon is usually my go to place for everything, but I can't find a brewing grain mill.

The cheapest I've found is through the Barley Crusher website, $32.50! The mill is $114.50. It better be worth it!

You guys made me smile. Thanks! Pretty good for a -30F day. -45F yesterday, with some parts of the "Greater Fairbanks Metro Area" reporting -60's.

Shipping - I thought that's how you're supposed to spend your resident Permanent Fund dividend check...

That just offsets our higher oil prices since we don't have refineries and have to have it shipped back up here... Or if you live in Nome...

Yeah, shipping prices suck. Have you looked at other mills like Monster? They might have a better shipping charge. Rebel Brewing or Austin might be able to offer you cheaper shipping than the website shows if you send an e-mail asking what it will cost since their calculators don't generally show USPS which they'll use for AK.

I feel your pain about shipping. I live in Japan but have a military APO address. Vendors only have to ship to San Francisco the govt takes care of the rest. But because it is via USPS and requires one extra piece of paperwork (customs declaration) very few want to go through the hassle. PITA!

"Greater Fairbanks Metro Area"

That made me laugh. What does that include besides north pole?

Sometimes you can call them and get them to ship it flat rate. I always hated paying more for shipping than the cost of the order. I miss my friends, the scenery, the food, the beer, and the fishing.

I feel your pain about shipping. I live in Japan but have a military APO address. Vendors only have to ship to San Francisco the govt takes care of the rest. But because it is via USPS and requires one extra piece of paperwork (customs declaration) very few want to go through the hassle. PITA!

Thank you for your service!

I still find a lot of stuff on amazon with free shipping up here.

sometimes you REALLY have to look around though.

Back