Canada Malting "Superior"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pickngrin

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with North Country Malt Supply. I called to get prices on 2-row pale and Pilsner malt. When I asked for 2-row, the lady basically told me that they switched (?) to Canada Malting "Superior", which she said is comparable to 2-row, and sells for $30.36. What is "Superior"? I can't find anything about it online.
Thanks

Must be talking about the pilsner malt. I have a sack of it that I haven't used yet. It's in 55lb sacks compared to domestic malt that is in 50lb sacks. When I have some extra time I'm going to try it in a recipe that I've made before and tried 3 different malts so far in

CMC Superior Pilsen (1.3-1.7° ASBC Colour)

Produced from selected lots of premium, Canadian-grown Copeland barley, Canada Malting Superior Pilsen is low in total protein, high in extract and low in colour with balanced modification, which makes it a perfect base malt for lagers of all types.

I've got a bag of it. I have not used any yet. There is a list of styles on the bag like Pale, Pilsen, etc. This bag is marked 2-Row. So my take is that is just plain old two row.

I can post a pic if that doesn’t make any sense.

It's a great deal. I got mine for even cheaper with a group buy ;)

No, it will do fine for single infusion.

Here is the desc from the Canada Malting website:
CMC Canadian 2-Row (1.7-2.1° ASBC Colour)
Traditional, premium-grade 2-Row malt is made from the finest Canadian barley malt varieties. This malt is a suitable base for all beer styles.

http://canadamalting.com/our-products/bulk-malts

Thanks. I think perhaps the woman on the phone was not fully informed, because when I asked explicitly, she told me that it is NOT 2-row barley. I'm personally not familiar with varieties other than 2-row or 6-row, but I don't claim to know it all...

I am very familiar with the Canada Malting products (they malt here in Calgary and are a big sponsor of our homebrew club). They have 2 'superior' malt products: a superior pale ale and a superior pilsner. Both are outstanding, and exceptional value.

The superior pale ale malt is a british style pale malt (higher kilned). I have used it and found it to be a little darker and a little higher in extract potential than domestic 2-row. It doesn't as much 'British' character as the UK malts I have used (e.g., Bairds Marris Otter), but it is close. If you did a 60/40 mix of Marris Otter and domestic 2-row, that would be pretty similar to the superior pale.

The superior pilsner is somewhat similar--it is like a Canadian version of a continental pilsner malt. Light, flavourful, and good attenuation. I am not sure if this is 2-row or 6-row though.

I should also be honest that much of my appeal for these malts come from the price: $26 per 55 lb sack, which is among the least expensive malts we can get up here in Canada. It really is excellent quality for the price, however.

CMC Superior Pilsen - Copeland barley -
2-row malting barley Better yielding than Harrington. It has good kernel plumpness and weight. It is 2 days later in maturity than Harrington. It has internediate resistance to the surface-borne smuts, net blotch and common root rot. Recommended CMBTC malting variety for 2007-08.

So if you're not into smut, it's a good choice.

No, it will do fine for single infusion.

Here is the desc from the Canada Malting website:
CMC Canadian 2-Row (1.7-2.1° ASBC Colour)
Traditional, premium-grade 2-Row malt is made from the finest Canadian barley malt varieties. This malt is a suitable base for all beer styles.

http://canadamalting.com/our-products/bulk-malts

Wonder what you see there that makes you think that, there is zero information on protein modification, well I mean other than the information above that suggest that modification is moderate.

I bought a sack of CMC superior pilsner due to its incredibly low price. I have made a Saison, BoPils and a Dortmunder export from the grain with mixed results.

The saison turned out great with a real clean flavour. A style like this is dominated by the yeast so the delicate flavour from the grain are covered up. The Bopils and dortunder turned out nice, but tasted north american and not like a german or czech beer. I was told how essential german pilsner is to these styles, but you never quite get it until you try it for yourself. Good beer, but not European though. Next time I would definitely splurge to buy the Continental malt, even though it is twice the price.

Latest posts

Back