Coors banquet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good point. My normal well water chemistry is highly buffered so I have to acidify quite a lot to get pH down. I like to mash around 4.9-5.0, but I used distilled water for this brew. I’m at a loss to explain it. A quarter to half a pound of acid malt isn’t unusual for me if I use filtered well water however.

Might have been a case of ‘either or’ and I selected “both” acid and acidulated. I doubt that I actually did though since I check pH during early mash, pre-boil, post boil and before packaging. Assuming a pH of 7.0 for distilled water and little buffering, I can’t imagine needing to add 5ml lactic to the mash to bring the pH down much with that grist bill.

Guess I’ll reverse engineer the recipe with Bru’in Water to see if the beer was actually battery acid. I’ve brewed some in the past that probably tasted worse than that!
I generally use one or the other. I had been using acid malt because I originally didn’t like the idea of handling the acid solution. The more I read about it said it was no big deal so I tried it and everybody was right. It wasn’t as big a deal as I first thought.

I brew 3 gallon batches most of the time. If I use acid malt for a light beer lke a lager with no dark grains then it usually ends up being 2.5 or 3 ounces which usually pushes the 3% they tell you to keep it under. If I use 88% lactic acid then its usually 2.5 or 3 ml. I guess yours seems like more because you’re making a bigger batch than I make.

I will say this too - my efficiency really went up once I started using the acid or acid malt. Like from 74% to something like 82% just from that one little change.

Last edited:
I generally use one or the other. I had been using acid malt because I originally didn’t like the idea of handling the acid solution. The more I read about it said it was no big deal so I tried it and everybody was right. It wasn’t as big a deal as I first thought.

I brew 3 gallon batches most of the time. If I use acid malt for a light beer lke a lager with no dark grains then it usually ends up being 2.5 or 3 ounces which usually pushes the 3% they tell you to keep it under. If I use 88% lactic acid then its usually 2.5 or 3 ml. I guess yours seems like more because you’re making a bigger batch than I make.

I will say this too - my efficiency really went up once I started using the acid or acid malt. Like from 74% to something like 82% just from that one little change.
Yeah, there’s that, plus the buffering and residual alkalinity in my well water. The taste and overall quality of my well water is pretty good, plus it is double filtered before it ever reaches the tap. But, it is stubbornly alkaline, though oddly not overly alkaline. It just takes a bit more acidification to get the needle moving towards pH 5.0 for mashing.

Agree on the efficiency boost as well. My mash efficiencies are almost always in the low to mid 80s range. Acidification in the proper range makes a significant difference.

Last edited:
But...is that flavor in The Real Thing?
Admittedly it's been awhile since I enjoyed a Banquet but I don't recall "much more flavor" being part of its nature...

Cheers!
Emphasis on aroma rather than flavor, and “aroma/flavor” relative to “bitterness”. The floral aromatics in Hallertau (at least my perception of them) is subtle and certainly not overwhelming, kinda’ like a nice Helles on a summer’s day in the Marienplatz in Munchen.

These huge companies have usually the maltsters create specific malts which closely match their requirements. Which means, we can only try to taste match the beer but the exact malts they really use are unavailable to us. However, we can come usually reasonably close with a good idea about the final product and how each malt affects the result.
Thanx for not bashing him over the head with the "Horse Pee" rhetoric. If someone wants to clone a Macro, feed them well.

Coors malts their own grain, which is grown for them by local farmers with seed supplied by Coors.

To the best of my knowledge, Banquet, which is only brewed in Golden, is their 2 row and rice. No caramel. Back when I worked for them, Dr. Keith Villa told me they did use whole rice and a separate cereal cooker. Currently, I believe they pulled out most of the cereal cookers and are using rice syrup. I see on their web site they state corn syrup.

The Coors yeast is sometimes available as Wyeast 2105-PC Rocky Mountain Lager.

I have been making a Banquet tribute for many years in many brewpubs. I try to use a malt from Root Shoot Malting or Colorado Malting Company, as they both are farmers that used to grow for Coors. I only use flaked rice for the adjunct, but go ahead and try flaked corn. 20% adjunct is what I try for.

Good luck!

I once brewed with Papazian's Cry Havoc at higher temps ~85F, it wasn't a coor's clone but at that temp it had that coor's signature flair for sure. Everyone said "It tastes like Coors" many times on that keg until it was gone, as well as I. It was an Alt and man it made a good one!
I think they rebranded the name of it to "Fist Bump" now?

I know they swear it's Budweiser yeast, but maybe they are covering their ass's when Charlie, who lives in Colorado, got Coors yeast? If it can stand high temps, ergo fast to market, just why wouldn't it be the Coors yeast?

I have brewed with Havoc/Fistbump many times and NEVER has it had any Budweiser signatures, apple and such, -always Coor's every time.

Maybe the name "Cry Havoc" was Charlies reactionary description of Coors threats of legal action when they realized he had thier yeast? So a deflection toward their competition ie. Budweiser was agreed upon by both parties?

JusSayin...

Thanx for not bashing him over the head with the "Horse Pee" rhetoric. If someone wants to clone a Macro, feed them well.
I think coming incredibly close to macro lager is a feather in your cap. It takes dedication, research and perseverance. I've suffered the indignation of wanting to produce clean lagers from other homebrewers for 30 years... I don't care either. With nothing to hide behind, clean macro style lagers are my white whale.

@AmarikinBrew
Cry Havoc was originally from a keg of Budweiser.

When I was Brewmaster at SandLot Brewery at Coors Field, Charlie came by to visit. He told me the story how he was given a sample of yeast by the former Director of Brewing R&D at Coors, Finn Knudsen. Finn told Charlie that this was a very special yeast and to enjoy brewing with it. Charlie had some numbers memorized that he thought were the Coors reference numbers. I called up my contact at the Coors R&D yeast lab and gave her the numbers. She called me back a short while later to tell me the numbers cross referenced to a keg of Budweiser.

I think coming incredibly close to macro lager is a feather in your cap. It takes dedication, research and perseverance. I've suffered the indignation of wanting to produce clean lagers from other homebrewers for 30 years... I don't care either. With nothing to hide behind, clean macro style lagers are my white whale.
Just wanted to write something similar. Macro lagers are incredibly difficult to do right so everybody who manages to do that should deserve utmost respect for fulfilling this difficult task.

I regularly buy myself some cans of Kirin Ichiban, man this beer is SO clean, SO well balanced with such a low hopping rate, unbelievable. For me, Kirin is the king of macro lagers but Coors follows closely.

I really like them for what they are.

Just wanted to write something similar. Macro lagers are incredibly difficult to do right so everybody who manages to do that should deserve utmost respect for fulfilling this difficult task.

I regularly buy myself some cans of Kirin Ichiban, man this beer is SO clean, SO well balanced with such a low hopping rate, unbelievable. For me, Kirin is the king of macro lagers but Coors follows closely.

I really like them for what they are.
I’m in whole-hearted agreement. The delicate (not ‘thin’ or ‘watery’) beers are by far the most difficult to brew. Kirin Ichiban is as delicate and intricate as origami or a Japanese watercolor painting. I won’t even attempt to duplicate it.

My other White Whale is crafting a decent Kolsch or a Munich Helles. Those I will attempt, but have yet to find satisfaction.

There’s a reason why macro beers like Coors have survived in the marketplace where so many others have failed, and it’s not simply because of slick marketing or cult-like consumerism. Beer snobs may condescend, but the macros are producing a very high quality beer that is consistently popular with a large segment of the population. Just because a person may prefer something else doesn’t diminish that fact.

North American 2 row
20-30% flaked Corn
Hops no later than 30 left in the boil
Andechs fermented at 68 under 7-10psi

I have no idea what color Coors is but you might need something to get it a bit darker as this malt bill will produce a very light colored beer.

There’s definitely no European malt. Hops are probably all in extract form and all added towards the beginning of the boil maybe last addition with 30 left?

The key ingredient is the yeast and fermenting it under pressure. Andechs produces some isoamyl acetate especially at warmer temps. Coors is full of this ester. I know Coors ferments it at that temp and under pressure but not sure what pressure.

Even then trying to “clone” and industrialized product like this at home is honestly a waste of time. But this should get you something sort of similar.

@AmarikinBrew
Cry Havoc was originally from a keg of Budweiser.

When I was Brewmaster at SandLot Brewery at Coors Field, Charlie came by to visit. He told me the story how he was given a sample of yeast by the former Director of Brewing R&D at Coors, Finn Knudsen. Finn told Charlie that this was a very special yeast and to enjoy brewing with it. Charlie had some numbers memorized that he thought were the Coors reference numbers. I called up my contact at the Coors R&D yeast lab and gave her the numbers. She called me back a short while later to tell me the numbers cross referenced to a keg of Budweiser.
I wonder then if Budweiser’s house strain of yeast is an Andechs isolate or possible descendant strain. The Coors’ yeast is widely assumed to be Andechs. If so, I might have just gained some new respect for Bud, ‘cause I love me some Andechs.

North American 2 row
20-30% flaked Corn
Hops no later than 30 left in the boil
Andechs fermented at 68 under 7-10psi

I have no idea what color Coors is but you might need something to get it a bit darker as this malt bill will produce a very light colored beer.

There’s definitely no European malt. Hops are probably all in extract form and all added towards the beginning of the boil maybe last addition with 30 left?

The key ingredient is the yeast and fermenting it under pressure. Andechs produces some isoamyl acetate especially at warmer temps. Coors is full of this ester. I know Coors ferments it at that temp and under pressure but not sure what pressure.

Even then trying to “clone” and industrialized product like this at home is honestly a waste of time. But this should get you something sort of similar.
Good information to know. I wouldn’t assume that the pressure would have to be all that much to suppress ester production, certainly well under 1 BAR, maybe around 8 psig with an increase near the end of fermentation.

At 68F, the yeast should be active enough to clean up after themselves when their work is completed. I wonder if that “creamed corn” aroma comes from all that adjunct 🍿?

I’m in whole-hearted agreement. The delicate (not ‘thin’ or ‘watery’) beers are by far the most difficult to brew. Kirin Ichiban is as delicate and intricate as origami or a Japanese watercolor painting. I won’t even attempt to duplicate it.

My other White Whale is crafting a decent Kolsch or a Munich Helles. Those I will attempt, but have yet to find satisfaction.

There’s a reason why macro beers like Coors have survived in the marketplace where so many others have failed, and it’s not simply because of slick marketing or cult-like consumerism. Beer snobs may condescend, but the macros are producing a very high quality beer that is consistently popular with a large segment of the population. Just because a person may prefer something else doesn’t diminish that fact.
Try all Pilsner malt for 5%abv, 25 ibus bittering only with Mittelfrüh, Imperial Yeast Harvest for a Helles. Step mash with a hoch kurz schedule, 30min at 62 c, 30 min at 72c, 15 minutes at 77c.

Fermentation temperature is not that important with this strain.

This is really simple and will result in a extremely good result.

Every step is crucial!

@couchsending I do not believe Coors banquet is fermented under pressure. I could be wrong, it is almost 30 years since I worked for Coors and many things have changed, When I was there, Banquet was fermented in 2000 bbl, glass lined, horizontal, cubical, steel tanks that were built on site. I do not believe these tanks could take much, if any pressure.

Coors and AB both have very advanced yeast labs with thousands of strains in cryo chambers. I believe their house strains are unique to each company. There may be some commercial strains that have some similar properties, but I do not believe Andechs is used by either one of those companies.

In 2014, I won a bronze medal at GABF in the Cream Ale category using a recipe of 20% flaked rice, Colorado Malting Company Lager Malt and 15 IBU of Colorado grown Cascade hops. 1st and 2nd place went to Pabst for Primo and Old Style. This simple recipe, brewed with a lager yeast, should compete well with most all American style lagers.

Im late to the party but tuning in to see if an extract recipe ends up settled upon. How would one sub for acidulanted malt for extract brewing? Dump lactic?

Im late to the party but tuning in to see if an extract recipe ends up settled upon. How would one sub for acidulanted malt for extract brewing? Dump lactic?
Why would you want acidulated malt in an extract recipe? Acidulated malt is for optimising the mash ph. You don't need that in an extract recipe as the mash is already done.

Why would you want acidulated malt in an extract recipe? Acidulated malt is for optimising the mash ph. You don't need that in an extract recipe as the mash is already done.
🤦‍♂️ thanks - i didn’t know, but that makes a lot of sense. I’m new if it wasn’t apparent lol

I saw the grain to extract conversion posted and without digging too deep figured I’d have to account for every ingredient.

This has turned out to be a good thread! Interesting yeast discussion; Cry Havoc / Fist Bump is a good story unleashed from the vaults at Coors and possibly being a harvest from some Budweiser.

I have always been impressed with Coors since learning more about their history and dedication.

I can't speak for banquet beer, but most midsize-large breweries ferment under pressure if they use tall ccv's for their lagers or their ales. I believe pressure is one of the key components in getting really close to cloning macro beer. 50 feet of liquid in a tall macro style ccv will have a static pressure of ~21 psi baked in before any top pressure is applied for carbonation. Personally, I think fermenting under pressure gives a fuller mouthfeel, especially when finishing with the real low final gravities associated with these styles.

On a fresh pitch I natively allow pressure to build, on a repitch I very slowly depressurize the yeast before reusing and will apply pressure with pure oxygen in stages in the first 6-8 hours. These methods have worked exceptionally well for how simple they are. Since nobody has wrote the book on fermenting under pressure at the homebrew level yet, trial and error is what we are left to. The results have been really, really good though.

Try all Pilsner malt for 5%abv, 25 ibus bittering only with Mittelfrüh, Imperial Yeast Harvest for a Helles. Step mash with a hoch kurz schedule, 30min at 62 c, 30 min at 72c, 15 minutes at 77c.

Fermentation temperature is not that important with this strain.

This is really simple and will result in a extremely good result.

Every step is crucial!
This is almost exactly the recipe and process I use. Hoch Kurz dough-in @ 55C, Beta @ 62 for :45, Alpha @ 72C for :30, and mash out @ 77C for :15. Augustiner yeast (WLP-860, L-17, etc). Hops are all Mittelfruh with a small charge of Magnum FWH. 90% or more German pilsner with a light hand on Munich and acidulated. That’s it!

For some reason I can’t brew a Helles that lives up to my expectations. I’ve spent quite a bit of time in Southern Germany in the last 20 years, and consumed more than a few Helleses. The ones I’ve brewed are just ‘O.K.’, but I want to brew ‘great.’ Not quitting till I get it right.

I saw the grain to extract conversion posted
A couple of additional things to consider as you work on an extract version:
  • steeping and mashing may yield slightly different results for various specialty malts. If you get "close" with steeping, a mini/partial mash may get you "closer".
  • different brands of DME/LME are made with different source water - so the mineral content across various brands of DME/LME will vary. If you get "close" using a brand of extract (e.g. Briess DME), switching another brand (e.g. Muntons DME or Williams LME) may get you "closer"
  • The recipe in AHA homebrewer of the year may also have some ideas on how to move your recipe from "close" to "closer".

Last edited:
I can't speak for banquet beer, but most midsize-large breweries ferment under pressure if they use tall ccv's for their lagers or their ales. I believe pressure is one of the key components in getting really close to cloning macro beer. 50 feet of liquid in a tall macro style ccv will have a static pressure of ~21 psi baked in before any top pressure is applied for carbonation. Personally, I think fermenting under pressure gives a fuller mouthfeel, especially when finishing with the real low final gravities associated with these styles.

On a fresh pitch I natively allow pressure to build, on a repitch I very slowly depressurize the yeast before reusing and will apply pressure with pure oxygen in stages in the first 6-8 hours. These methods have worked exceptionally well for how simple they are. Since nobody has wrote the book on fermenting under pressure at the homebrew level yet, trial and error is what we are left to. The results have been really, really good though.
Excellent analysis on ‘pressure’ brewing with gravity. Although it should be obvious, we don’t always consider the pressure created by the weight of the beer column. I’ve got all the equipment for pressure fermentation but haven’t yet taken the leap. Your process seems interesting enough that I think I’ll give it a try. My Unitank has a 30 psig maximum pressure limit, but normal operating pressure is suggested at 15 psig, so I won’t be going much higher than 1BAR.

This is almost exactly the recipe and process I use. Hoch Kurz dough-in @ 55C, Beta @ 62 for :45, Alpha @ 72C for :30, and mash out @ 77C for :15. Augustiner yeast (WLP-860, L-17, etc). Hops are all Mittelfruh with a small charge of Magnum FWH. 90% or more German pilsner with a light hand on Munich and acidulated. That’s it!

For some reason I can’t brew a Helles that lives up to my expectations. I’ve spent quite a bit of time in Southern Germany in the last 20 years, and consumed more than a few Helleses. The ones I’ve brewed are just ‘O.K.’, but I want to brew ‘great.’ Not quitting till I get it right.
Have you tried the Augustiner strain? That is imperial yeast harvest. I tried to brew an american lager with it once with some American dry hops... totally tasted like a helles! That yeast can do only one thing, but that one thing it does exceptionally well. Helles.

Now that I am thinking about it, a bock brewed with it would probably also be very nice!

Oh, and please, no Munich malt. Helles is Pilsner only. It is basically a smash by default.

One more fun fact, Coors Banquet, like most beers brewed in high volume breweries, is brewed as a high gravity beer. Roughly 16P or 1.065. It is fermented at that gravity and then "blended", diluted with de-aerated water inline while tranferring to the filter stage. The blending is closely monitored to hit the exact amount of alcohol in the end product.

Have you tried the Augustiner strain? That is imperial yeast harvest. I tried to brew an american lager with it once with some American dry hops... totally tasted like a helles! That yeast can do only one thing, but that one thing it does exceptionally well. Helles.

Now that I am thinking about it, a bock brewed with it would probably also be very nice!

Oh, and please, no Munich malt. Helles is Pilsner only. It is basically a smash by default.
I’m beginning to think that’s where I’m making my mistake. 100% pilsner only next time. I usually tend to go with Weyermann German Pils, but that has been hard to source lately. Any preferred substitutes you’d recommend?

My hops are authentic Hallertau Mittelfruh, but I think I’ll drop the FWH Magnum in favor of a very small :60 minute charge and all the rest at :05 minutes.

I have used “Harvest” (Augustiner strain), as is WLP-860. Auggie is my second favorite strain, right behind Andechs, for Continental lagers. Both are very reliable as is 34/70.

I’m beginning to think that’s where I’m making my mistake. 100% pilsner only next time. I usually tend to go with Weyermann German Pils, but that has been hard to source lately. Any preferred substitutes you’d recommend?

My hops are authentic Hallertau Mittelfruh, but I think I’ll drop the FWH Magnum in favor of a very small :60 minute charge and all the rest at :05 minutes.

I have used “Harvest” (Augustiner strain), as is WLP-860. Auggie is my second favorite strain, right behind Andechs, for Continental lagers. Both are very reliable as is 34/70.
Mate, what part of "bittering only" didn't you understand? :D

Helles is extremely simple. Pilsner only, no dry hops, no late hops, ... 60 minutes only!

One more fun fact, Coors Banquet, like most beers brewed in high volume breweries, is brewed as a high gravity beer. Roughly 16P or 1.065. It is fermented at that gravity and then "blended", diluted with de-aerated water inline while tranferring to the filter stage. The blending is closely monitored to hit the exact amount of alcohol in the end product.
I definitely end up with two distinctly different beers when brewing high gravity wort and either diluting in the fermenter or with deaerated water at package. The malt aroma and flavor are more pronounced in my house helles when diluted in the fermenter and the bitterness is much smoother when diluted into the keg. I last did this in March of 2021, the side by side experiment using the same wort was low oxygen from start to finish so everything was as equal as possible. I prefer the enhanced malt aroma and flavor in a helles and haven't diluted at package since.

Excellent analysis on ‘pressure’ brewing with gravity. Although it should be obvious, we don’t always consider the pressure created by the weight of the beer column. I’ve got all the equipment for pressure fermentation but haven’t yet taken the leap. Your process seems interesting enough that I think I’ll give it a try. My Unitank has a 30 psig maximum pressure limit, but normal operating pressure is suggested at 15 psig, so I won’t be going much higher than 1BAR.

Definitely give it a go. I have had my all rounders up to 36 psi at 64° after high kräusen and have made some great beers. The amazing thing about pressure is that it kicks out a very mature lager so fast. The fermentation time is the same, but the lagers can be in peak condition in just 3 weeks. Almost all my ales are almost clear and ready in just 7-9 days (different pressure schedule though). I don't think I will ever ferment beer again without pressure. This just might get you a little closer your white whale.

I've often wondered whether or not NAILs contain artificial coloring albeit in quantities which don't require they be listed with other ingredients. Not referring to things like Sinamar which comply with German purity laws but more to caramel or adjunct type colorings. Old homebrew books like Dave Lines - Brewing Beer Like Those You Buy, make generous use of caramel colorings in their recipes.

My thought was that to attain consistency of color in the end product it might be a necessity but I'm not sure. Does anyone know either way?

https://www.ddwcolor.com
https://www.packaginglaw.com/ask-an...ing-ingredients-required-be-listed-food-label

I've often wondered whether or not NAILs contain artificial coloring albeit in quantities which don't require they be listed with other ingredients. Not referring to things like Sinamar which comply with German purity laws but more to caramel or adjunct type colorings. Old homebrew books like Dave Lines - Brewing Beer Like Those You Buy, make generous use of caramel colorings in their recipes.

My thought was that to attain consistency of color in the end product it might be a necessity but I'm not sure. Does anyone know either way?

https://www.ddwcolor.com
https://www.packaginglaw.com/ask-an...ing-ingredients-required-be-listed-food-label
Alot of breweries use caramel coloring. Newcastle for one. There are concerns that "burnt sugar" may cause cancer, and burnt sugar was used by alot other than breweries too.

see:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...ineken-beer-brewer-caramel-coloring/22371053/

Alot of breweries use caramel coloring. Newcastle for one. There are concerns that "burnt sugar" may cause cancer, and burnt sugar was used by alot other than breweries too.

see:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...ineken-beer-brewer-caramel-coloring/22371053/

From that link:

Hari also has pushed Anheuser-Busch and MillerCoors to remove caramel coloring from any beer and ales using it.

Which doesn't indicate they've stopped using it nor what if any products it is actually used in.

It's probably safe to assume that caramel coloring (or equivalent) is just a standard non-listed ingredient in NAILs (and other beers) and it would be difficult to match the artificial coloring at a homebrew level (especially the lighter / brighter yellow colors).

Mini doses of sinamar should do it.

That may be appropriate for darker beers but definitely not for the lighter colored NAILs. AFAIK, Sinamar always darkens the substrate. The goal for NAILs is to lighten and brighten the beer color (towards a yellowish hue).

Last edited:
The BMC types have malt made to there exact specs, color, DP, etc... even with adjuncts they can nail the color without extra ongoing expenses.

Last I saw Bud still doughs in at 113°F and step mashes from there. This mash schedule gives limit dextrinase plenty of time to eat and really drives attenuation before dilution artificially lowers it. I have experienced the same results and love starting at 113 for adjunct lagers diluted in the fermenter. Schlitz Gusto is a regular brew in my lineup.

Schlitz and Hamms had some great commercials.

We had a Schlitz sign hanging out in front of our bar in Chicago for 50 years. It's actually making a cult like comeback.

The BMC types have malt made to there exact specs, color, DP, etc... even with adjuncts they can nail the color without extra ongoing expenses.

Last I saw Bud still doughs in at 113°F and step mashes from there. This mash schedule gives limit dextrinase plenty of time to eat and really drives attenuation before dilution artificially lowers it. I have experienced the same results and love starting at 113 for adjunct lagers diluted in the fermenter. Schlitz Gusto is a regular brew in my lineup.
Do you have any more info on buds mashing schedule?

Bud has a competition every year amongst all of it's breweries. This video is on YouTube, but I don't remember the name of it. I will try searching again later today after work. It gives up a few things, but not very much. Their mash schedule will be based entirely by there raw ingredient numbers.

Latest posts

Back