Corriander and orange peel in my brew: strain or dump into fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pixalated

Reaction score
I used the Brewer's Best Witbier kit, which came with coriander and orange peel. I strained as much trub as I could, but some spices and hops still made it into the the fermenter.

I am not terribly worried about that, but in the future should I strain the spices I boiled with, or keep them in my wort. I am wondering if the flavor is extracted during boiling, or during fermentation.

From what I have read the coriander can add flavour during the boil and in the fermenter; that beign said, I don;t know how much is added by it sitting there, but should know before long when I bottle or keg my holiday brew from November.

B

i strained all mine when i went to primary. I dont see it effecting anything if it was left in

I'd strain - coriander and orange peels were both a pain when racking to bottling bucket and it subsequently fouled both my auto siphon and bottle filler. If you decide to leave it in primary, I'd use a muslin bag or cheese cloth over your siphon to avoid the same problem.

Back