Incoporating coriander and orange peel to extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbtoprof

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm learning making beer so im practicing with the extract kit.
Im trying to make a belgian beer with added coriander , beer bitter orange peel and orange peel.
How would i work this into my receipy?

Attachments

• IMG_20220301_231538.jpg
    IMG_20220301_231538.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
Pitch'em in the last five minutes of the boil. You want them in long enough to santize them but not so long that you drive off any volatile aromatics, nor pick up any off flavors.

You can also make a tincture by soaking them in vodka for several days then pouring that in during or after fermentation. The alcohol in the vodka will sanitize them.

I've always put the coriander in at the end of the boil as easttex suggested but did the orange as a tincture after fermentation. I believe you get better aromatics that way.

Pitch'em in the last five minutes of the boil. You want them in long enough to santize them but not so long that you drive off any volatile aromatics, nor pick up any off flavors.
You do want to sanitize them as mentioned but at boiling temps that only takes a second or 2, not 5 minutes. You could evens start to chill the wort first as sanitation still happens all the way down to ~140F but takes longer the cooler the wort gets. I probably would let the wort cool to ~170F before adding as it is unlikely you could chill the wort fast enough to miss sanitizing but the cooler temp would preserve more aromatics.

When I brew my lemon-rosemary blonde ale I add the zest and rosemary to steep for 15-20 minutes as soon as I turn off the heat.

Back