High Final Gravity Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theguy

Reaction score
I am brewing batch of "German Oktoberfest" from Brewers Best and think I may have screwed up. After preparing the wart i cooled the temperature to apx 75 degrees and transfered to the fermenter. Before sealing I emptied the dry yeast on top of the Wort and stirred (OG 1.049). The OG was supposed to be 1.052 - 1.055. My problem is that I didn't notice any bubbles in the airlock on the fermenting bucket. After 3 days in the fermenter the gravity reading was 1.021 (recipe states FG should be 1.015). I then took another gravity reading 2 days later and it was still holding steady at 1.021. At this point I decided to transfer to the secondary fermenter (last night). So far I don't see any activity in the airlock and am wondering if I should add some more yeast? My questions are:

1. Is it OK to add Dry yeast directly to the fermenter? If not, what is the best process to follow?
2. Since my current gravity reading is high should I add more yeast? If so, what kind do you recommend?
3. Is it normal to see no (or very little) activity in the fermentation stage of brewing?

This is my 3rd batch and the first time I have ran into this problem. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have! I am Looking forward to your reply!

What kind of yeast did you use? I've brewed several Brewer's Best kits. Most of them have come with Danstar Nottingham yeast, but the first one I brewed used some kind of Munton's brand yeast. Judging by other posts I've read, the Munton's seems to be notorious for finishing with a high FG around 1.020 or so, and that's exactly what happened on my first batch. In my case I got paranoid and tried adding more yeast, but I got no additional airlock activity and the FG reading didn't budge. So I just bottled it and the beer turned out perfectly fine anyway.

By the way, I should mention that airlock activity isn't the best way to judge whether fermentation is still going. Always check the hydrometer reading for that. Anyway, if it were me I'd just let it go for another week or so, take another hydrometer reading, and bottle it if it stays the same. You might also want to try moving it to a spot with a higher temp for a little while to see if that will get the yeast going again.

I would listen to "gabrewer" above. however if you do decide to pitch some more yeast to see if it helps the fermentation process it wouldn't drastically effect anything - just a little more sediment to work around. I would move it to a spot with a higher temp and take a reading a little later. Good Luck -I'm sure you'll be fine.

Thanks for the great advice gabrewer & Macushla-Homebrew! I will move my secondary fermenter to a warmer location and see if that helps. How long do you normally use the secondary fermenter before bottling? Is there a common rule of thumb for this? Sorry for all of the questions, I just want to make sure I don't screw this batch up! Thanks again!

1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary, three weeks in bottles. But of course the primary or secondary could be longer. Wits, and some european yeast strains are what I call lazy workers.
Otherwise, relax I'm sure the beer will still taste pretty good.
Next time you could gently rock the primary to mix up the yeast a bit, but do not rock it enough to splash. Even with a layer of C02, why take the chance of oxidization.
Best of luck.

Back