What is your favorite intoxicant next to beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite intoxicant next to beer?

• Mead

• Bourbon whiskey

• Gin

• Wine (also including champagne and port)

• Rum

• Tequila/Mezcal

• Brandy/Cognac

• Vodka

• Scotch whisky

• Other: tell us in a post

Results are only viewable after voting.

Beeratier

Reaction score
Just curious to know what your favorite intoxicant is next to beer.

I would have to choose brandy and cognac or maybe high-end tequila.

EDIT: Being more specific, Germain-Robin Select Barrel XO is my all-time favorite. Do yourself a favor and try this stuff at least once in your life.

Tequila, definitely. Long as it's 100% pure agave, isn't bright blue and doesn't have as worm (or scorpion) floating in it.

Porfidio, Casa Noble, 1921, Tesoro Paradiso, Julio 1942......mmmmm

Asbach brandy straight up. Absolutely THE best ice fishing warmer-upper there is. I only treat myself to that a couple/three times a year, though.

OH, you mean liqour :)

I'm a Maker's Mark man. That or good Anejo tequila, but I really love Maker's Mark. People at work think I'm a drunkard when we go out for a drink after work and I order a MM on the rocks.

When I want something besides beer I go with the Bourbon. A lot of 7 and 7's, or Beam for me. I'm cheap.

Cold gold tequila, straight from the freezer. Ahhhh, the smoky flavor. How it eases down the gullet like a..... simile, simile,....shot of ... uh..

I really like cold tequila. Words can't describe it.:)

Only thing better is a frosty shot of tequila next to a glass of hoppy amber ale.

My 2nd favorite would be the green. Honestly, it was my favorite up until a couple of years ago. I gave it up because of the kids and it not being the respectable habit that is beer drinking.

Funny, I really have no desire to do it any more

One simple, little three letter word.

Rum.

Specifically,

Appleton Special

or

Appleton Estate V/X

A week in Montego Bay basically sealed the deal for me. :rockin:

And yeah to the other offerings of the island as well, but we'll just leave it at that. :fro:

Ize

Tequila, sipping: Tezon Anejo. I believe there is none finer than this, even though there are some that are more expensive.

Tequila, Margaritas: Jose Cuervo Traditional Reposado (I buy this a case at a time) or Sauza Tres Generaciones Anejo, depending on how much aged character I want.

I drink no "blanco" or "silver" tequila. They are all tasteless.

Scotch whisky: Lagavulin, Laphroaig (10 and 15 year old). I love the smokey and peaty character of the Islay malts. I would very much love to spend some time in Scotland sampling all the whisky that is only available there.

Bourbon: Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek

There are other types of liquor I'm fond of. Cruzan Estate Diamond Rum, for example. Margaritas are the only drink I consistently mix. Otherwise, I take my liquor neat.

The old puff puff pass is the way that i go :fro:. Of course that is a benefit of being young, even if I can't legally drink beer yet :drunk: .

let's just say I went with Other and leave it at that.... :D

Alright.... I'm offended. You can NOT lump tequila and mezcal together as a single option. That's like equating filet mignon with ground chuck.

-walker

Walker-san said:
Alright.... I'm offended. You can NOT lump tequila and mezcal together as a single option. That's like equating filet mignon with ground chuck.

-walker
For a long, long time I agreed 100% with you, now I only agree 99%. If you ever find some Del Maguey mezcal bust out the wallet and buy in. And make sure you have nothing to do for 6-8 hours. Other than Maguey, every Mezcal I've had has need no good to horrible.

The drink I most frequently consume next to beer is my night cap of Benedictine and Brandy (B&B) on the rocks. This was a tradition started by my F-I-L and he still makes fun of me because I don't drink it straight.

Walker-san said:

-walker

I put them together because they are both made from the agave/maguey plant.

Yes, there is crap mezcal out there, but there is also wonderful mezcal.

Check out www.mezcal.com All the awards the Del Maguey Single Village Mezcals have received is no joke.

I've had several of the Del Maguey Mezcals from the above site and all of them have completely blown away some of the very finest tequilas ($50 - $300) I've tasted over the years.

I'd have to say Single Malt Scotch. Specifically The Macallan 18. I also like a good Small Batch Bourbon particularly Knob Creek.

Brewtopia said:
I'd have to say Single Malt Scotch. Specifically The Macallan 18. I also like a good Small Batch Bourbon particularly Knob Creek.
Nice! I prefer The Macallan 12 year myself, but I'd certainly never turn down the occasional glass of more "mature" whisky. The 12 year just seems to be about right for me - a bit sweeter, IMHO.

I'd have to say Crown Royal either straight on the rocks or with Mt. Dew.

I don't mind a good rum and coke either. I'll also drink vodka or gin martinis, but the occasion has to be right. Gin is also great with tonic. I don't drink hard stuff unless I need to get blasted though.

I bought a fifth of Captain Morgan's Private Stock (rum) on our cruise last year--I still haven't busted into that yet. Waiting for the right occasion.

Chairman Cheyco said:
Do you know how many Canadians just spun in their graves?!? OMG, how could you?

Yeah, that's like a redneck highball. I like Beam and Coke for everyday quaffing.

Man, you want some good spiced rum, get ahold of some Sailor Jerry's Navy Rum. Trust Sammy on this one.

Fiery Sword said:
For a long, long time I agreed 100% with you, now I only agree 99%. If you ever find some Del Maguey mezcal bust out the wallet and buy in. And make sure you have nothing to do for 6-8 hours. Other than Maguey, every Mezcal I've had has need no good to horrible.

Try some Sotol. If you like Mezcal and you like Tequila, you'll probably like Sotol as well. It tastes a little more like Mezcal than Tequila, but seems a bit lighter and smoother. It is made from a type of cactus called Sereque. I like the Hacienda de Chihuahua Sotol Reposado. Of course, there are only a couple of types of Sotol I've ever seen marketed here in the states, so I haven't had many.

Dude said:
I bought a fifth of Captain Morgan's Private Stock (rum) on our cruise last year--I still haven't busted into that yet. Waiting for the right occasion.
Chill that stuff in the freezer overnight. Pour into a chilled old fashioned glass and sip neat. Best rum you'll ever have.

Yuri is dead right on that one. P/S is amazing.

Kind bud, Captain, tequila, good 12yr scotch, 7/7

All the references to that famously illegal substance that many of us know and love have made me smile :D I wasnt even thinking of it when I entitled this thread with the word "intoxicant". But Mary Jane is definitely a valid "other" choice in this poll.

drouillp said:
Yuri is dead right on that one. P/S is amazing.
Apparently you and I have very similar tastes - fries and malt vinegar with dinner, a bit of COLD Private Stock afterward. Perhaps a hand rolled Sancho Panza to top it off?

Definitely bourbon. Hooked on Bookers and Woodford Reserve of late...but I've been known to dabble with Jim Beam (in memory of GG Allin).

A distant third is wine and absinthe.

Yuri_Rage said:
Apparently you and I have very similar tastes - fries and malt vinegar with dinner, a bit of COLD Private Stock afterward. Perhaps a hand rolled Sancho Panza to top it off?

OK, now I'm hungry, thirsty, and want a stogie.:rockin:

Yuri_Rage said:
Perhaps a hand rolled Sancho Panza to top it off?

Your talk of the faithful squire reminds me of my resolve to read Don Quixote in Spanish by the end of 2007. I'm not making much headway.

But I assume you were actually referring to the cigar. I haven't had one. The Double Maduro appeals to me the most. Have you had that one? How did you like it?

beer4breakfast said:
...referring to the cigar. I haven't had one. The Double Maduro appeals to me the most. Have you had that one? How did you like it?
A friend of mine is a cigar afficonado, so I just go with whatever he's got at the moment. He refers to Sancho Panzas as his "daily smoke" - presumably because of the quality/price comparison. I'm fairly certain that the ones he's given me are the basic natural wrapper variety in a medium gauge (not the torpedo style). The other brand we've enjoyed recently is Cohiba (Toro, I believe). I'm not enough of a cigar guy to give you the specifics, but both are dense and rich, and they offer a moderately long smoke.

When I drink liquor (which is rare), I like vodka tonics. I can't stand tequila and whiskey and unless I'm in the Caribbean or some place like that, vodka tonics and maybe the ocassional white russian are the only drinks for me.

Chairman Cheyco said:
Do you know how many Canadians just spun in their graves?!? OMG, how could you?

Yeah, let me explain. When I was working in Honduras in the early 90s, we drank a lot of crown, but for some reason the ice cubes gave it a nasty taste, so someone poured in some Mt. Dew one night and we were all hooked. The Mt. Dew hid the bad ice taste. We called them "Hon-dews".

So yes, redneck highball is right but I still drink it that way. Try it, I think you'd be surprised.

Beeratier said:
I put them together because they are both made from the agave/maguey plant.

Alright... fair enough. I'll select that option. Vodka is a close second place, though. It depends on if I'm taking shots (tequila) or making mixers (wodka; greyhounds and white russians)

Back