What's your favorite beer style?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReaperOnefour

Reaction score
Hello all. How are you guys doing? I hope everyone is having a good weekend so far. Well it's saturday night, im just kicking back sipping on this mosaic ipa that i brewed a ways back. My wife is watching some dumb ass LMN movie (as usual) I was thinking about brewing my favorite beer style next. Which is a westcoast red ale. I thought it would be cool if i asked what is your favorite beer style?

I really like a nice wheat beer....and a pale ale...and a robust porter and an amber and a stout and .....but the one I most often brew is a pale ale because I can change the flavor so easily by changing out the dry hops.

German that adhere to Reinheitsgebot for me with Bocks being my absolute favorites.

Too many great styles for me to choose. I am still exploring styles as well. I seem to like most of them.

I'm trying this beer from Firestone Walker right now. It's called delicious IPA. It's really good. I've never had this beer before. Usually I buy Sierra Nevada or voodoo ranger when i don't have any of my own beer to drink. Clearly I'm going to have to add this beer to my list.

Trappist/Abbey. Living in europe and (before this month) easy holidays into france, Belgium etc where even standard supermarkets sell it very cheaply makes it very attractive.

I'm trying this beer from Firestone Walker right now. It's called delicious IPA. It's really good. I've never had this beer before. Usually I buy Sierra Nevada or voodoo ranger when i don't have any of my own beer to drink. Clearly I'm going to have to add this beer to my list.
I thought Delicious IPA was made by Stone?

Too many to choose one but some of my favorites include:

Hoppy Red Ales
Marzen
Kolsch
Irish Red Ale
IPA
Hefeweizen
ESB

Saison/ belguims, which seems kind of hard to find in the stores recently. Last year there were several local breweries doing saison of some kind but I am not sure what happened.

I'm drinking Newcastle Brown Ale right now and it is actually a mix of two different beers. I love English Ales. The funny thing is I am 7/8 German and 1/8 English but somehow when it comes to beer the English side of me wins.

I really enjoyed the batch of Old Peculiar clone that I recently did.

I feel like I could list a dozen styles and still forget a favorite. My favorites constantly change but I will always come back to a centennial hopped American IPA, and copper/dark German lagers.

I am HopHead so any Hoppy beer. In my fermenter right now is a Ruination clone that should be ready to keg tomorrow. My house ale is a Mosaic / Maris Otter SMaSH IPA.

West Coast Red Ales, Schwarzbier, Cream Ales and American Pales Ales. I don't brew enough of those styles, but I should!

New Castle is a good beer too. You know I never use to like hoppy beers, until I started home brewing. I use to drink Budweiser all the time. (Sorry beer gods, forgive me I didn't know what I was doing.) Now I can't stand Budweiser.

New Castle is a good beer too. You know I never use to like hoppy beers, until I started home brewing. I use to drink Budweiser all the time. (Sorry beer gods, forgive me I didn't know what I was doing.) Now I can't stand Budweiser.
I can still drink a cold Bud on a hot day. I don't do IPAs. For me, the hops need to be in balance with the malt and by definition an IPA does not do that. Oh well. By this time in my life I have probably drank around 1,000 or more different beers. Has anyone ever heard of San Miguel from the Phillipines? I used to love the San Miguel Dark. Also Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout is delicious and complex.

a good pale ale does it for me, i feel they have kind of been lost in the shuffle a little. troegs pale ale was one of my favs for a long time.
I can still drink a cold Bud on a hot day. I don't do IPAs. For me, the hops need to be in balance with the malt and by definition an IPA does not do that. Oh well. By this time in my life I have probably drank around 1,000 or more different beers. Has anyone ever heard of San Miguel from the Phillipines? I used to love the San Miguel Dark. Also Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout is delicious and complex.
i never heard of san miguel until a couple months ago, one of the guys brought it to a homebrew meeting to share. i remember liking it but was only a sampler.

a good pale ale does it for me, i feel they have kind of been lost in the shuffle a little. troegs pale ale was one of my favs for a long time.

i never heard of san miguel until a couple months ago, one of the guys brought it to a homebrew meeting to share. i remember liking it but was only a sampler.
Indeed a good pale ale is excellent.

I am a massive fan of a moderately hopped 5% to 5.5% American Pale Ale. When I am at a taproom, I tend to gravitate toward the 8% IPA or the 10% Stout, but at home on tap I look for a beer that goes well with dinner and does not knock me out. In addition to a Pale Ale, an easy drinking 4.5% Porter and a 6.5% IPA would round out my top beer list. (I am trying to brew more Belgians lately, so maybe I will have to expand the list soon.)

Draught, if I could only have one style ever again would be a (relatively) well hopped, well conditioned bitter, served about 10c.

Bottled beer I think Orval. Great fresh or aged, always different, usually great.

I once drank what if I can remember correctly was a 12% beer that not only used local wild hops but some wild yeast as well, along with some apples. It was good but I could only drink one and when I got to the auto parts store to buy something I realized that I had left my credit card at the brewery. LOL. One reason I tend to stay away from anything that is too damn strong. I like having a few beers and not getting laid out....

One local microbrewery had a Peach Cream Ale at only 5 IBUs. I thought to myself, that is not really beer anymore. I do quite a few fruit beers and I don't try to change the underlying beer. The beer should stand on its own and you should want to drink it regardless of whether it has fruit in it or not. That sounded more like a wine coooler than beer. LOL. They also had a huge hole in their lineup around the 30 IBU level or so. Everything was below 20 IBUs or over 40 or 50 IBUs. I was not very impressed at all.

One of the crazy things about being an experienced homebrewer is that when you go out to a local brewery you want to critique everything you drink. I have been to about three lately and would only return to one of them. One of them seemed to only have brews at around 6% or higher. They were OK but not carbonated properly. Also we tried a few of their fruit beers but I suspect there were using only fruit flavor and not real fruit. I was very disappointed with those beers. Nothing special at all. My fruit beers would blow them out of the water.

I am a massive fan of a moderately hopped 5% to 5.5% American Pale Ale. When I am at a taproom, I tend to gravitate toward the 8% IPA or the 10% Stout, but at home on tap I look for a beer that goes well with dinner and does not knock me out. In addition to a Pale Ale, an easy drinking 4.5% Porter and a 6.5% IPA would round out my top beer list. (I am trying to brew more Belgians lately, so maybe I will have to expand the list soon.)
i really enjoy brewing belgians, actually i had to pick a favorite style to brew it would probably be belgians. so many options to play with.

Back