American Pale Ale BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMAbrewco

Reaction score
New brewer, did my first BIAB American Pale Ale Friday night - all went well (I think) based on the wealth (too much) information I learned trolling HBT. I do have a question - I have it fermenting in a swamp cooler:

2/14 it was 60degrees (pulled ice)
2/15 - now sitting at 63 degrees.

I had read that the first week, cooler is better. Is that accurate? Should I bring it up to 68 after a week?

Thanks - again, appreciate all the help.

Jeff

Cooler is typically better, as long as you are within the recommended temp range of the yeast. Once the krausen begins to clear it is safe to start raising the temp a little to help it finish.

My fermentation chamber is set for 64* which is about the mid point in ideal ale temps for most yeast strains. I pull them (usually) after a week, but 3-4 days seems to be about the average time for them to be mostly done where the temp isn't so much of an issue from what I gather.

I used to maintain the temps in a swamp cooler type system for the whole 3-4 weeks without issues, but my temps fluctuated between 63-68* usually.

Back