My first recipe tastes funny...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishdeep

Reaction score
I brewed my first "own recipe" which just so happens to be my first partial mash. I pretty much created it in Brewsmith just adding and adjusting things untill I got the numbers I thought looked good. In trying to get the ABV up a little I added table sugar to the mix. It's been in primary for 7 days and tonite I transferred it to secondary. OG was 1.060 current reading is 1.014, it falls into the style of american amber ale. When I stick my head in the bucket (not actually in) I get a kind of champagne sorta smell/taste thing going on. Is this the cider like taste I hear about from adding too much sugar? If so is there a way to reduce it while in secondary.

How much table sugar did you add?

I dont think that the secondary will remove any unwanted flavor, but time in general can sometimes help. Though, depending on what you put in the wort to get the ABV up... time may not matter.

Nothing YOU can do to reduce it in the secondary, although time and yeast might just do it for ya.

If you're smelling the primary, with the yeast cake in it, don't worry about what you're smelling. If you're getting champagne flavors and aromas out of a glass of the beer (did you pour some when racking?) just kick back and see if they go away.

It's too early to make any judgments. You are going to have some foul flavors at one week. Keep it going another two weeks then give it a taste. Carbonate it and chill it and give it another taste. You will be surprised. Knowing your recipe would help to make my own judgments but that is not a lot of sugar.

way to early to tell, had my last german wheat smell like a wheat double bock (so alchol smelling thought I may have hit a TRIPLE bock, racked off bottled normal 4.5% wheat. (high end of the scale for a hefe but I like it).

learned a long time ago don't make any judgements while still in fermenter. things really change between there and carbonation (and even with a few months of aging!)

Back