SSBrewTech Announced a New Insulated Mash Tun!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In fairness, just about nothing is fabricated domestically anymore. At least not mass production - economies of scale just aren't there compared to China. You don't have the gigantic nuts factory next door to the gigantic bolts factory next door to...etc etc.

Sure; that is part of the reason I asked. It was just an out of curiosity type inquiry. I won't ding them for doing it. I own plenty of foreign made brew gear. I thought their response was really weird.

Unless this thing can be direct fired I wouldn't be interested. My guess is that it cannot be direct fired. Please be direct fired!

Unless this thing can be direct fired I wouldn't be interested. My guess is that it cannot be direct fired. Please be direct fired!

It can't be, not with insulation. *No* pot with insulation can be direct-fired, as the insulation material won't stand up to those temps.

It can't be, not with insulation. *No* pot with insulation can be direct-fired, as the insulation material won't stand up to those temps.

Kaowool insulation could take the heat. And then some! However the likeliness that they used this in the MK I version is quite low. Unless they're reading over my shoulder or stalking me they probably won't think about it in the MK II either. If they do, royalties is all I demand.

Just for the sake of conversation, does this answer make sense to anyone else? I use a 10 gallon cooler for my mashtun, and if I preheat I don't lose any temperature ( to within the 1 degree accuracy of my thermometer) during a 60 minute mash.

Yeah that stood out to me as well. I typically lose no more than 1-2 degrees over a 60 minute mash, however that's with preheating the cooler and covering the top with a blanket. For big mashes I lose less than 1 degree.

Depending on how they did the heat loss experiment though, that much temp drop could be reasonable, e.g. if all they did was pour X gallons of hot water into room temperature vessels and measure the temp after 60 minutes.

FINALLY someone builds one of these in the US!

I have a stainless double walled, 1" insulated mashtun, but I had to buy it in Ireland and have it shipped back with me when I moved here. There's a company on the Germany/France border that makes them and sell them on the German and French Ebay sites, but they won't export them to the US. -They are FAR cheaper than these SS BrewTech options, but you have to cut holes and weld/solder or install weldless fittings yourself with the Ebay options.

They hold heat amazingly well -this insulation helps make them great as a basis for a HERMS system as you get much faster temperature steps when you're not losing heat like in a keggle.

As has been stated, they are NOT for direct firing. They're for single infusion mashing or HERMS or RIMS only.

They went with a sloped center bottom drain, too. -Nice! (Not that you can really CIP a mashtun)
Interestingly enough there's no pictures of the false bottom...

The only thing they're really missing is a 2nd ball valve for recirculation mashing. -You can easily drill a hole through the lid and install your own fitting in the lid, though.

Glad to see that other US home brewers are going to get to enjoy insulated stainless mashtuns, too.

Adam

I have a stainless double walled, 1" insulated mashtun, but I had to buy it in Ireland and have it shipped back with me when I moved here. There's a company on the Germany/France border that makes them and sell them on the German and French Ebay sites, but they won't export them to the US. -They are FAR cheaper than these SS BrewTech options, but you have to cut holes and weld/solder or install weldless fittings yourself with the Ebay options

Do you have a link for these?

needs a port for a rims and make it 15+ gallons and it would be perfect...

These are sweet but if you use rims or herms there really no practical need for the insulation...
I discovered this myself after going from an igloo cooler to a cheap non insulated 16 gallon stainless kettle (thin walled bayou classic to boot)

Anyway I searched and toyed with the idea of an insulated stainless mt and saw the ones made in Germany by spiedel which arent sold here...(The one mentioned in the post above that used all over europe)
Once I tested my new non insulated mt with my small 1000w rims I saw that it was more than enough to maintain and even do step mashing... To me $300 extra could be better used to make deluxe rims or herms setup.. or buy another conical...:)

I have a stainless double walled, 1" insulated mashtun, but I had to buy it in Ireland and have it shipped back with me when I moved here. There's a company on the Germany/France border that makes them and sell them on the German and French Ebay sites, but they won't export them to the US. -They are FAR cheaper than these SS BrewTech options, but you have to cut holes and weld/solder or install weldless fittings yourself with the Ebay options.

They hold heat amazingly well -this insulation helps make them great as a basis for a HERMS system as you get much faster temperature steps when you're not losing heat like in a keggle.

As has been stated, they are NOT for direct firing. They're for single infusion mashing or HERMS or RIMS only.

They went with a sloped center bottom drain, too. -Nice! (Not that you can really CIP a mashtun)

The only thing they're really missing is a 2nd ball valve for recirculation mashing. -You can easily drill a hole through the lid and install your own fitting in the lid, though.

Glad to see that other US home brewers are going to get to enjoy insulated stainless mashtuns, too.

Adam
Is this what you have?

https://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/49-litre-stainless-steel-insulated-mash-tun.html

Adam

I don't believe they are made in the USA. They are made in China & "assembled" domestically.

Yes the base mashtun is the same but HopandGrape adds their own false bottom and dip tube. I had a 2" tri clamp fitting welded into the bottom as a bottom drain and made my own false bottom from stainless perforated sheet. I also drilled a hole into the center of the lid and use it for sparging, recirculating, and cleaning after dumping out the grain.

I mocked up a few drawings and went back and forth on a having a camlock fitting welded in vs. a triclamp fitting but settled on triclamp and I'm pretty happy about that especially as under sunction camlocks can leak air; picture showing my mock up and ultimately what I did (option #1 in the ugly hand made drawing): https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151368038781929&l=204550b959

You can buy the 80 liter (21 gallon) insulated stainless vessel with no fitting for 85GBP ($132 @ current exchange rate) -but they will NOT ship to the US. You have to find a shipper that will drop ship to Germany, France or the UK and then forward it on to you in the US. This means you'll have to pay shipping twice and if you get unlucky you'll have to pay import duty.

-You will then need to drill your own holes and add your own fittings; I'd recommend silver soldering. The stainless is fairly thin and the heat from truly welding will start the insulation inside on fire (I know from experience).

You can email them @ [email protected] OR [email protected] but again, they'll want you to give them a Germany, France, or UK address; if you tell them you're a member of the JimsBeerKit UK homebrewer forums they'll give you a slight discount, too. Their ebay store is hit or miss as they slowly sell one or two items in different sizes. Your best bet is probably to contact them directly AGAIN with an address from one of the 3 previously mentioned countries. There are plenty of international shipping forwarding companies you can go with.

A 3 vessel stainless insultated 100% electric brewery made from these things would be INSANELY energy efficient, too.

Adam

I don't believe they are made in the USA. They are made in China & "assembled" domestically.

no Its been stated they are made (or just marketed? by a company out of Germany and not even sold here... By the " Schengler" company I was mistaken when I said speidel.
EDIT*** you mean the SS ones,

The SS conicals ship from overseas so I have no reason the SS mashtuns arent also from china as about 90% of conicals and kettles used in home brewing are.. If these made here I'd guess the seller would ask $600-800 to get the kind of profits they are getting now...

When I ordered a couple chronical fermentors last november from SS (great conicals BTW)the big holdup was they were unable to get to the shipping container at the dock that had just come in from overseas... They even sent everyone On the waiting list pictures of the shipping container being moved at the storage /dock yard... To my understanding they are just as chinese as the stout products/conicals that receive criticism for being such?

At least stout and SS have the products made exclusively to thier quality spec and are sold but only them (Well until recently that was the case) Because now there are stout clones coming out of china being sold without the stout brand name on ebay as well as real stout distributed ones there...)

I have been preaching this a lot lately but people believe what they want to believe... just like all the people in the electric brewing area that are under the impression aubrins products are made in America even though 90% is the same generic stuff off ebay at 2-3 times the markup. Even THEIR pids are made in china...

-Yes both the SSBrewTech & the German/French company have their vessels made in China.

I knew that. I made a mistake when I said "made" in the US; my point was that you can actually buy them and have them sent to a US address; believe it or not these are the first double walled insulated stainless mashtuns you can actually buy in the US. Europe has had them for years and years.

I've already asked them (SSBrewTech) about a 2 fitting / 2 ball valve version that would support a sparge return, HERMS/RIMS recirculation mashing and a CIP ball; it's been forwarded on but no official reply yet.

Adam

I just checked my receipt and because Bergland's ebay site didn't have one in stock when I needed to buy mine I actually bought the 50L model (13.2 gallons) from HopandGrape but with no falsebottom and no modifications made at all. I paid 93.40 GBP+22.58 VAT tax (about $180 USD at current exchange rate) which was a pretty huge markup vs. buying it directly from Bergland but there was literally no other option and in the general scheme of things it was still a great price for what it is, IMO.

Adam

-Yes both the SSBrewTech & the German/French company have their vessels made in China.

I knew that. I made a mistake when I said "made" in the US; my point was that you can actually buy them and have them sent to a US address; believe it or not these are the first double walled insulated stainless mashtuns you can actually buy in the US. Europe has had them for years and years.

I've already asked them (SSBrewTech) about a 2 fitting / 2 ball valve version that would support a sparge return, HERMS/RIMS recirculation mashing and a CIP ball; it's been forwarded on but no official reply yet.

Adam
A lot of people including the two guys I ordered them for were under the impression SS brew technologies actually made their own products in the states... That was the reason for my rant.

BTW when I was looking I did a search on the german ones and many people tried to find a way to distribute them to the states but the company who markets them was very rude and completely un interested in distributing or working with us distributors... theres many threads here about these.

These are sweet but if you use rims or herms there really no practical need for the insulation...

Yes and no...
With RIMS, probably not. With HERMS, depends upon efficiency.

With HERMS we're going to be using our HLT water later for sparging AND of course, IDEALLY you don't want to raise the temp of the wort coming out your HEX/RIMS tube up into the mashout / enzyme denaturing temp ranges as it will hurt our precious enzymes. When you tweak a recirculating mash system this way you will get slower temperature ramps; the speed is also dependant upon the efficiency of the HEX in a HERMS system -with many people using stainless steel coils in HLTs now after the example of Kal's theelectricbrewery.com system, the efficiency can be pretty low ESPECIALLY if you're not stirring or whirlpooling the water in your HLT.

-Combine all these factors with a completely uninsulated keg-based mashtun and you can end up with very slow temperature steps that many people are seeing the purpose of temperature steps is to have MORE control over the process and the enzyme activation times; when you can't move quickly enough from one temperature to another you end up resting too long and the whole brewday takes longer.

Insulation can definitely help increase your temp ramp speed and give you more control which is the purpose of HERMS/RIMS in the first place. An insulated mashtun (which is a standard in the British brewing tradition) also means that you can do super simple infusion mashes that don't REQUIRE any application of heat to hold temp for the entire hour or 90 minute mash time.

Insulation also means increased energy efficiency and decreased costs (although I admit that electricity is a very minor contributor to costs at home brew scale).

Adam

Yes and no...
With RIMS, probably not. With HERMS, depends upon efficiency.

With HERMS we're going to be using our HLT water later for sparging AND of course, IDEALLY you don't want to raise the temp of the wort coming out your HEX/RIMS tube up into the mashout / enzyme denaturing temp ranges as it will hurt our precious enzymes. When you tweak a recirculating mash system this way you will get slower temperature ramps; the speed is also dependant upon the efficiency of the HEX in a HERMS system -with many people using stainless steel coils in HLTs now after the example of Kal's theelectricbrewery.com system, the efficiency can be pretty low ESPECIALLY if you're not stirring or whirlpooling the water in your HLT.

-Combine all these factors with a completely uninsulated keg-based mashtun and you can end up with very slow temperature steps that many people are seeing the purpose of temperature steps is to have MORE control over the process and the enzyme activation times; when you can't move quickly enough from one temperature to another you end up resting too long and the whole brewday takes longer.

Insulation can definitely help increase your temp ramp speed and give you more control which is the purpose of HERMS/RIMS in the first place. An insulated mashtun (which is a standard in the British brewing tradition) also means that you can do super simple infusion mashes that don't REQUIRE any application of heat to hold temp for the entire hour or 90 minute mash time.

Insulation also means increased energy efficiency and decreased costs (although I admit that electricity is a very minor contributor to costs at home brew scale).

Adam

But all I keep hearing from herms users is how they perform just as well and have all these advantages over rims that make them superior ;)

Agreed though... and thats why I switched from herms to RIMS...I built my rims for $100...so no need for $200-400 insulated stainless mashtuns just to get the cleanability and bling factor of stainless. (and overcome the herms weaknesses) . :)
Truth be told though A lot of people use herms fine without insulated tuns like kal I believe...

BTW when I was looking I did a search on the german ones and many people tried to find a way to distribute them to the states but the company who markets them was very rude and completely un interested in distributing or working with us distributors... theres many threads here about these.

-I know that was me in that thread back in 2012 / 2013. ;-)

But all I keep hearing from herms users is how they perform just as well and have all these advantages over rims that make them superior ;)

Agreed though... and thats why I switched from herms to RIMS...I built my rims for $100...so no need for $200-400 insulated stainless mashtuns just to get the cleanability and bling factor of stainless. (and overcome the herms weaknesses) . :)
Truth be told though A lot of people use herms fine without insulated tuns like kal I believe...

I did a HUGE study of the pros and cons of HERMS and RIMS and tried to come up with a design that was the best of both without the downsides of both. For me that meant a mashtun that is purpose-built with recirculation mashing in mind: insulated, 1:1 height to width, with a false bottom material with a large %open area to reduce struck mash risk, and a heat exchanger for HERMS that is also designed for efficiency: a high flow counter-flow chiller-also means nothing else in the HLT to clean or deal with.

The counterflow chiller doubles as both the HERMS HEX and the chiller post boil (with boiling wort recirculated through it at the end of the boil to sanitize it post mash use).

It is insanely efficient and fully uses the very expensive counterflow chiller. It makes temp ramps VERY fast, enables me to only raise and hold the HLT at sparge temps (185F), reduces the risk of a stuck mash, doesn't require any pipe-bomb like RIMS tubes, is very easy to clean, and it doesn't damage our precious enzymes.

Adam

I did a HUGE study of the pros and cons of HERMS and RIMS and tried to come up with a design that was the best of both without the downsides of both. For me that meant a mashtun that is purpose-built with recirculation mashing in mind: insulated, 1:1 height to width, with a false bottom material with a large %open area to reduce struck mash risk, and a heat exchanger for HERMS that is also designed for efficiency: a high flow counter-flow chiller-also means nothing else in the HLT to clean or deal with.

The counterflow chiller doubles as both the HERMS HEX and the chiller post boil (with boiling wort recirculated through it at the end of the boil to sanitize it post mash use).

It is insanely efficient and fully uses the very expensive counterflow chiller. It makes temp ramps VERY fast, enables me to only raise and hold the HLT at sparge temps (185F), reduces the risk of a stuck mash, doesn't require any pipe-bomb like RIMS tubes, is very easy to clean, and it doesn't damage our precious enzymes.

Adam

I believe I accomplished the same thing on my budget build with good prefiltering (which completely removes any possible pressure issues with my rims (besides theres no way any grain could get past my 24v dc pumps without plugging them and the fact that I have over 40 brew sessions on my rig with no stuck sparges can attest to that. I use low heat with a ultra low watt density long rims tube and low (1.5gpm) flow. (I have still yet to see a real world example of this mythical pipe bomb issue)... My rims is easy to clean also plus I have the added ability to pop the camlock and open my rims up and actually physically clean the inside if I dont want to do the flush cleaning like you have to rely on with herms... every different setup has different strong points and I'll leave it at that ..(I didnt intend this to turn into a pissing match) I just meant to say if someone is using a rims, (and possibly a herms )they dont really need an insulated tun to hold or increase temps and make great beer...

I believe I accomplished the same thing on my budget build with good prefiltering (which completely removes any possible pressure issues with my rims (besides theres no way any grain could get past my 24v dc pumps without plugging them and the fact that I have over 40 brew sessions on my rig with no stuck sparges can attest to that. I use low heat with a ultra low watt density long rims tube and low (1.5gpm) flow. (I have still yet to see a real world example of this mythical pipe bomb issue)... My rims is easy to clean also plus I have the added ability to pop the camlock and open my rims up and actually physically clean the inside if I dont want to do the flush cleaning like you have to rely on with herms... every different setup has different strong points and I'll leave it at that ..(I didnt intend this to turn into a pissing match) I just meant to say if someone is using a rims, (and possibly a herms )they dont really need an insulated tun to hold or increase temps and make great beer...

I agree. Sounds like you have a well-designed RIMS setup that avoids many of the issues.

I agree that you don't NEED an insulated tun, but it does help especially if you don't use the HERMS/ RIMS every batch and want simple infusion mashing support.

I'd still go so far as to say that a well-designed HERMS has less downside and certainly less cost than a well-designed RIMS, though. -If you've already got a counterflow chiller and 2 pumps it just takes moving some hoses around and you can HERMS mash.

Adam

I believe I accomplished the same thing on my budget build with good prefiltering (which completely removes any possible pressure issues with my rims

If you have a ball valve anywhere along the output of the RIMS Tube and leave it closed while the liquid in is open you can get steam and be back into "pipe bomb" territory.

There's also the risk of dry firing and burning up the element.

No "pissing contest" intended. I'm just hoping to have a discussion on pros and cons of each setup for anyone who's trying to make the same evaluation themselves.

Poorly designed HERMS are worse than infusion mashing, poorly designed RIMS can be downright dangerous and huge pains to clean; well designed HERMS and RIMS systems help to get rid of many of the weaknesses, but there are still differences between well designed HERMS and RIMS that people should be aware of and evaluate before pulling the trigger.

(Especially when you realize just how few mashes can even benefit from stepped mashes with modern malts. -They're definitely "last mile" brewery enhancements.)

Adam

If you have a ball valve anywhere along the output of the RIMS Tube and leave it closed while the liquid in is open you can get steam and be back into "pipe bomb" territory.

There's also the risk of dry firing and burning up the element.

No "pissing contest" intended. I'm just hoping to have a discussion on pros and cons of each setup for anyone who's trying to make the same evaluation themselves.

Poorly designed HERMS are worse than infusion mashing, poorly designed RIMS can be downright dangerous and huge pains to clean; well designed HERMS and RIMS systems help to get rid of many of the weaknesses, but there are still differences between well designed HERMS and RIMS that people should be aware of and evaluate before pulling the trigger.

(Especially when you realize just how few mashes can even benefit from stepped mashes with modern malts. -They're definitely "last mile" brewery enhancements.)

Adam
I can respect your valid points,
I have two things to stop that from happening... first I have a silicone washer with my temp probe in it at the end of my rims and any pressure would simply pop it out... Second I have just incorporated a $10 stainless flow switch that kills the power to my rims heater if the flow stops..

Ive read that any beer with oats or wheat can benefit from step mashes as well as the ones that use the less modified malts... Isnt the popular "Maris Otter one of these less modified malts?

I can respect your valid points,
I have two things to stop that from happening... first I have a silicone washer with my temp probe in it at the end of my rims and any pressure would simply pop it out... Second I have just incorporated a $10 stainless flow switch that kills the power to my rims heater if the flow stops..

Ive read that any beer with oats or wheat can benefit from step mashes as well as the ones that use the less modified malts... Isnt the popular "Maris Otter one of these less modified malts?

Awesome! Wow, you really DID think of everything in your RIMS design. Love it.

Oats and Wheat benefit from step mashing; Maris Otter is ALWAYS a highly modified malt as far as I know, though.

The entire British tradition is very much focused on single infusion mashing; that's actually where it origina. Interestingly enough, they also almost always have insulated mashtuns for that reason, too.

There are a few intentionally low modification pilsner malts but that's really about it.

So what I'm wondering is whether truly insulated mash tuns perform any differently than the non-insulated recirculating setups. I've noticed in my own HERMS setup, for example, that the temperature of my recirculating mash water is ~4-6 degrees warmer than my mash tun itself. I wouldn't be surprised to see similar temperature gradients in the mash tun, from central to the periphery. This means that my mash isn't really at say 150 degrees; it's 150 in some parts, and 156 in others. I wonder if anyone with access to a spectrum analyzer might step up and compare resultant wort?

So what I'm wondering is whether truly insulated mash tuns perform any differently than the non-insulated recirculating setups. I've noticed in my own HERMS setup, for example, that the temperature of my recirculating mash water is ~4-6 degrees warmer than my mash tun itself. I wouldn't be surprised to see similar temperature gradients in the mash tun, from central to the periphery. This means that my mash isn't really at say 150 degrees; it's 150 in some parts, and 156 in others. I wonder if anyone with access to a spectrum analyzer might step up and compare resultant wort?

In my herms I see about 2-3° difference between hlt and mlt. When I probe the Grain bed with a calibrated digital thermometer I see about 1 degree of temperature shift depending where I test.

An insulated tun would change temperature much faster because the heat source doesn't have to overcome the heat loss to the environment.

Fwiw, I have 30 gallon tanks.

Great news guys! The InfuSsion Mash Tuns are getting ready to ship within the next few days. They have also announced some new optional extras like a sparge arm and a heating pad that can be controlled by the FTSs. Heres some of the

Heres some info i wrote up about it.

http://blog.craftbeertraders.com/ssbrewtech-mash-tun-shipping-soon-new-features/

Also bigger news. They have announced they are doing a 20gal version that will be available in sept/oct. The 20gal will have a manometer too!

I will have the 10gal version in the first shipment and will be getting the 20gal as well when that releases. So ill post up pictures when i get it

All this conversation makes me wonder if anyone's done a DIY version of an insulated SS mashtun by basically sandwiching two brew pots together with welded-through fittings.

I thought of doing this after seeing these were availiable for years in europe from a german distributor there. https://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/49-litre-stainless-steel-insulated-mash-tun.html
(They are only about $300 US there BTW but no one imports them it seems.) if you do a search you will see this is an old topic. some even ripped out the liner of an igloo cooler and installed a stainless liner but in reality you need to mash at over 170 degrees for any plastic to possibly leech and be an issue. the plastic used in coolers is tested and foodgrade to 170 degrees from the research I did...

That said I fell victim to the "Bling" bug myself and bought a 16 gallon stainless kettle with false bottom I use as a mash tun with my rims setup so insulation is not worth the extra $230 it would cost over my current larger stainless mash tun costs.

They are pretty though and if I was looking to blow an extra $400 on another toy I could see this being a big hit for those who dont use herms or rims setups..

I just got my InfuSsion Mash Tun in and completed a brew day with it. This thing is pretty sweet. The wall thickness and insulation is amazing and the conical bottom works awesome. Here are a couple photos and I did a full write up of my brew day on my blog. I brewed a 12gal batch of my Berliner Weisse.

http://blog.craftbeertraders.com/first-look-ssbrewtech-infussion-mash-tun-brew-day/

SsBrewTech_InfuSSionMashTun_All_Landscape.jpg

SsBrewTech_InfuSSionMashTun_AssembledLidOnHandle.jpg

SsBrewTech_InfuSSionMashTun_AndFermenters.jpg

SsBrewTech_CleanEquipment.jpg

Mine arrives today according to FedEx tracking. Can't wait. thanks for the write up, but one question. In your top photo, what is the disc with a few holes in it just down from the lid/instructions?

Mine arrives today according to FedEx tracking. Can't wait. thanks for the write up, but one question. In your top photo, what is the disc with a few holes in it just down from the lid/instructions?

Its actually a cover that is on the bottom of the conical. from what SsBrewTech told me the shipment you receive will already have that installed so you dont have to worry about it

Latest posts

Back