Cigars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlev

Reaction score
Good grief have they gotten expensive with all this 'sin' tax bull ****. I used to be able to go into my favorite cigar shop (JR's), and pick up a few 5 packs for around $30....went in there yesterday and got 3, 5 packs, for $75 friggin dollars.

So the question is, where do you get quality cigars without getting taxed to death. I've tried cigars int'l, but they're about the same price as JRs.

Any favorite cigar/beer pairings?

I have been using Thompson cigar auctions - the auction site, not the regular site. If you know what brand and style you like you can get full boxes of quality cigars for $60.

I use CI, but only buy cigars that go on sale at one of their "Joe Cigar Daily Deal" with free shipping, or some samplers. The problem (not a bad one) with that is the deal is usually for a box or mazo, and then I end up having to purchase another humidor just to store them!

Cigarbid has some good deals too, but I havent ordered from there yet. CI is based in Pennsylvania and I always get my cigars within 3 days of ordering.

Gurkha Regent and my Homebrew Dunkel was my favorite pairing this summer. Too bad I am out of both now! :mad:

Edit: Just checked CI's website and their Joe Cigar Daily Deal is 5-Vegas Gold Toros, 10 pack for $22.50. One of my favorite everyday type of smokes, looks like I gotta place another order!

I like Dominicans, in general, the best with beer. Specifically, anything from Arturo Fuentes.. my favorite being the "Short Story" from the Hemingway series. It's the perfect ring size and length for a pint (or maybe two).

I smoke cigars on occassion, but not enough to know prices. However, I do have an old Barling pipe I smoke a few times a month and I get my leaf from Kirsten's in Seattle (they have an excellent humidor too that I grab some cigars from whenever I venture into the evils of Seattle). Anyway, I know this is a little off the OP question, but just a though for those really hurting from increased costs, pipe tobacco is pretty inexpensive and there are endless varieties. Plus if you enjoy the sort of thing, I find the ritual of packing the pipe somehow connecting to an era gone by and certainly connecting to my late grandfather who spent his years smoking pipes while running a cannery in Alaska.

As far as pairing, I used to love a cigar and Stone RIS until I got a bad cigar and ended up puking my guts out. Now, I usually go to my single malts when smoking...I think I will be entertaining some Laphroaig and Mariner blend tobacco tonight :) Sorry for rambling the topic put my mind in happy land.

For non-Cubans I usually purchase from www.holts.com, www.famous-smoke.com (I like some of their house bundles for working in the yard) and www.newhavanacigars.com

What he said

If you search some cigar forums (such as Cigar Asylum) you will find multiple threads on good, cheap cigars.

Some of my favorite non Cubans of late, that are inexpensive, are the Gran Habano 3 SLS from Cigars International, they run around $60 for a bundle of 20. I also like the Famous Nicaraguan 3000 from Famous and the Little Havana Overruns from Holt's.

Joe Cigar (CI) and Cigar Monster (Famous) have great daily deals and Cigar Bid (also owned by CI) is another good auction site.

What he said

Joe Cigar (CI) and Cigar Monster (Famous) have great daily deals and Cigar Bid (also owned by CI) is another good auction site.

Ahh I didnt know cigarbid was owned by CI. I'll have to check them out, do you know if they ship out of the same warehouse?

Well, until last month when we moved, I got all mine in Tampa from the family-owned rollers down there.

Now I just don't smoke 'em anymore. I still have 4 from my guy there (La Herencia de Cuba) and saving them for when I get friends visiting from there.

I like Dominicans, in general, the best with beer. Specifically, anything from Arturo Fuentes.. my favorite being the "Short Story" from the Hemingway series. It's the perfect ring size and length for a pint (or maybe two).

I haven't smoked enough cigars to have a good idea of what region or country I prefer, but I can say I have settled into some of Rocky Patel's offerings, particularly the Connecticut.

Well, until last month when we moved, I got all mine in Tampa from the family-owned rollers down there.

Now I just don't smoke 'em anymore. I still have 4 from my guy there (La Herencia de Cuba) and saving them for when I get friends visiting from there.

I'll visit :D

I'd have to say my personal favorite region is the DR...always seems like the DR cigars are smooth and creamy...just like I like my beer! :)

Yeah,the DR's aren't bad. But I like those dark backwoods crooks in the little pouch. That tobacco is sweated 1st to take the harsher resins out. I think they're great with ales while waitin on the bbq pit.

I live close to Cigars International so I buy all my cigars from their store. Try a Diesel Unholy Cocktail with some Southern Tier Mokah.

The 5 Vegas brand CI sells is a bargain as well.

Yeah,the DR's aren't bad. But I like those dark backwoods crooks in the little pouch. That tobacco is sweated 1st to take the harsher resins out. I think they're great with ales while waitin on the bbq pit.

I very rarely have a cigar, preferring one of my pipes, but, when I don't have the time or the situation doesn't allow for the tending of a pipe, I've started smoking the Backwoods cigars and they aren't half bad, particularly for the price, plus I don't have to relight and can smoke one in 20-30 minutes tops.

After seeing Sam Clemens smoking those crooks in old Edistone 35mm films,I jumped at the chance to try the modern equivalent.I'll have to get some more now.

I very rarely have a cigar, preferring one of my pipes, but, when I don't have the time or the situation doesn't allow for the tending of a pipe, I've started smoking the Backwoods cigars and they aren't half bad, particularly for the price, plus I don't have to relight and can smoke one in 20-30 minutes tops.

That's what I love about pipes, you can fill them half full for a quicker smoke or if something interupts and you have to put it out its no big deal if you dump the bowl. Putting out a cigar for later really kills it for me, I only light one when I have plenty of time to kick my feet up. I am jealous that you have multiple pipes...I'd love to pick up a nice pre-transition Barling but I only light the one pipe I have once every few weeks so I can't justify the cost. Maybe I'll pick up a Savinelli as a reasonably priced backup.

BTW, smokingpipes.com sells cigars too, I can't speak for the price as I don't buy enough to know...but, they sell singles which is always good for trying something new.

I go to the walk in humidor at Specs they always have one of the Romeo & Juliet styles on sale as well as Punch.

I tried a pipe a while back and couldn't keep the darn thing lit more than a puff. Frustrated me so much I ended up standing next to a tiki torch and kept it lit that way.

Edit: Come to think of it, I puked my guts out that night and haven't smoked a pipe since. Probably wasn't good to suck in all the tiki fumes. But with numerous refills of Scotch it seemed like a great idea at the time.

I tried a pipe a while back and couldn't keep the darn thing lit more than a puff. Frustrated me so much I ended up standing next to a tiki torch and kept it lit that way.

Edit: Come to think of it, I puked my guts out that night and haven't smoked a pipe since. Probably wasn't good to suck in all the tiki fumes. But with numerous refills of Scotch it seemed like a great idea at the time.

There’s a definite art to packing and maintaining a pipe. Most people pack to tight and don’t really understand the need to occasionally tamp the tobacco. I can’t really smoke while doing anything that requires too much attention, as I need to keep half an eye on the smoke. It’s a good activity while reading or watching a movie or even browsing the internet with a beer. I do like the huge variety in pipe tobacco and the fact that it’s much easier to store than cigars.

I did tamp it to begin with, didn't know you had to do that occasionally.

I always have loved the sweet smell of pipe tobacco over cigar smoke. Plus my fingers don't have that burnt cigar smell afterwards.

However enjoying a good cigar around a camp fire is first rate in my book.

I did tamp it to begin with, didn't know you had to do that occasionally.

I always have loved the sweet smell of pipe tobacco over cigar smoke. Plus my fingers don't have that burnt cigar smell afterwards.

However enjoying a good cigar around a camp fire is first rate in my book.

They certainly both have their time and place. I find the pipe to be a bit more of a contemplative smoke. For me, cigars are better if I'm involved in something more active or I'm with friends.

If you decide to give the pipe a try again, let me know. Maybe I can give you a hand.

Thanks Shooter.

I might give it a shot again. What type (flavor) of tobacco would you recommend, and do you pair pipe's and beer?

I like the sweeter vanilla'ish scents I think.

Thanks Shooter.

I might give it a shot again. What type (flavor) of tobacco would you recommend, and do you pair pipe's and beer?

I like the sweeter vanilla'ish scents I think.

I do pair pipes and beer, but am somewhat careful on how I do that, sometimes they can clash. I enjoy a simpler straight tobacco flavor along with a malty beer and shy away from aromatics with beer or something like a double IPA with a pipe. I was enjoying a stout the other day with a bowl of Blackpool, a licorice cased tobacco that has sort of a molasses quality. It was a nice combination.

I don’t want to steer this thread too far from cigars and I’m still fairly new to pipes myself and not an expert, but here’s a quick breakdown of the major pipe tobacco categories:

Virginia or Virginia/Perique Blends – I smoke only a few of these and have a preference for Virginia/perique blends over straight Virginias. They do tend to burn hot, but can have a sweetness to them, the perique can sometimes add a spiciness or even a fruity quality, depending on how it’s used. Blends I’ve tried and enjoy include Stokkebye’s Luxury Bullseye Flake and Anniversary Kake.

English/Balkan Blends – Usually include latakia, which is a tobacco that is smoked over a wood fire and often a mixture of Orientals, particularly in Balkan style blends. Many people love these blends, while others find the latakia overpowering. I enjoy Squadron Leader and Penzance, but they can be hard to find. McClelland’s Frog Morton is also an easy to find English that is a little lower in the level of latakia.

Aromatics – What many people think of when they think of pipe tobacco. The Virginia and English blends also don’t have a great smell, or room note, which is not a problem for the smoker, but not as pleasant for others in the area. Aromatics can run the gamut from vanilla and cherry to rum or coconut. A word of caution though, many aromatics smell great, but often have little flavor. In particular, not tasting like they smell. A few that do have the flavor are Boswell’s Berry Cobbler and MacBaren’s Vanilla Cream.

It sounds to me like you’re probably thinking of aromatics. There are some over-the-counter/drugstore blends that actually aren’t too bad. Captain Black is a decent vanilla tobacco, some claim it has a bit of a chemical taste, but it has never bothered me. It smells nice, but it also doesn’t overwhelm me with flavor. I understand Lane’s 1-Q is a less processed alternative, but have not tried it. Simple blends like Prince Albert or Carter Hall are also fine if you’re just looking for a simple straightforward blend that has a tobacco flavor. A final note, corn cob pipes are not to be overlooked and are an excellent way to get into the hobby, just make sure they are Missouri Meerschaum brand pipes. So, there you go, more information then you probably wanted, but there it is. :D

Cigar Monster is a great site. Wait for the hourly deals. If you learn some of the deals, you can do well there.

Someone else mentioned the nub habano and I agree. That's a great one. I like all the nubs, but the habano is great.

I havent bought any nubs because I felt like they are jipping you out of cigar. But I have seen alot of great reviews so I guess they are worth the dough. How long do they usually smoke for? I generally only smoke cigars when I have a good hour or more to burn, tending the grill or just sitting around on the back porch.

Tonight I had my (still a lil undercarbed) oatmeal stout and a 5 vegas gold maduro. Awesome pairing (and went well with the bbq short ribs we had) although I wish I went with something stronger like a Indian Tabec Maduro or the like.

I havent bought any nubs because I felt like they are jipping you out of cigar. But I have seen alot of great reviews so I guess they are worth the dough. How long do they usually smoke for? I generally only smoke cigars when I have a good hour or more to burn, tending the grill or just sitting around on the back porch.

Tonight I had my (still a lil undercarbed) oatmeal stout and a 5 vegas gold maduro. Awesome pairing (and went well with the bbq short ribs we had) although I wish I went with something stronger like a Indian Tabec Maduro or the like.

Every nub I've smoked has lasted at least an hour. They're pretty great IMO. I Really enjoy the Cameroon.

I was given some "unbanded Mexican" cigars from a relative not long ago. They brought them back to the USA but were forced to take the band off and rebox them before they got to the border because of their origin... They were excellent. When the same family member went back to Mexico I asked if he would get some more and he said they were $800 a box. Sooooooo worth it.

Ahh I didnt know cigarbid was owned by CI. I'll have to check them out, do you know if they ship out of the same warehouse?

Yes, everything I ever received from them came from CI Fulfillment just like when I order from CI.

The Nubs are made by Oliva so they are quality smokes, I just don't like that big a ring gauge. You can find good deals on Oliva's other smokes too and even though I don't always like the flavor profiles of all of their smokes you can bet that they are well made. The ones I recommend would be the V, O and O Maduro and the new Cain Daytona. There is a lot of love for the Series G as well, just not from me.

My favorite non Cubans are Tatuaje/Cabaiguan, Esencia, and Illusione. However they aren't typically cheap.

mmm oatmeal stout and cuba libre one for me tonight! I better be careful I was trying to save this batch for fall!

I don’t want to steer this thread too far from cigars and I’m still fairly new to pipes myself and not an expert, but here’s a quick breakdown of the major pipe tobacco categories:

now i really want to have a pipe. dang.

is there a good internet site to grab some pipe tobacco? the local smoke shop has some good sounding flavors, but there is a chemical taste to them that i just can't stand.

I look at the Cigar Monster App on my iPhone. Their single selections are usually around half of msrp. Their samplers can be less.

Back